Old 01-17-2009, 02:52 AM
Bad Dude (+500)

I loooooove buildup mixes, even if they don't amount to brain-combusting climaxes. There's such an art to great buildups; they are very idiosychratic in the way they sound, and it really sounds like the mixer knew exactly what he wanted and how to achieve it. I hear a channeling of Basil Poledouris, which is such an awesome body of work to be aspiring to, or as may be the case, accidentally sounding similar to.
Many props for a very fine orchestral piece. Loved it.
Sponsored Links

Please register to remove the above advertisement.
Old 11-08-2009, 10:51 AM
Wesley Cho, Moderator, Maverick Rising/Serious Monkey Business Director
Sheng Long (+10000)

I do agree with some of the previous comments in that this mix does what it sets out to do well. Unfortunately, most people who visit the site don't seem terribly interested in it if it doesn't catch their ears with a nice hook, and perhaps I'm guilty of it some as well. This isn't the type of song that one might listen to over and over on repeat, but it nails much of what it is about, so I don't really have much beef here.
Old 12-23-2009, 06:46 PM
Stevo, OverClocked After Dark Host, Lucid Dreaming Director
Bonus-Kun (+3000)
OC ReMix Artist Profile

Send a message via AIM to Level 99 Send a message via Skype™ to Level 99
I must give this my stamp of approval. I don't have anything negative to say at all. The various iterations of the theme being repeated never once lost my interest. Bravo.
Old 12-31-2011, 12:55 PM
Beverley Wooff, Project Chaos Asst. Director
Mother Brain (+4000)
OC ReMix Artist Profile

I remember this a lot from back at the VGMix days :D To think, it's been 7 years to the month, and yet it still shines as one of my favorite tracks from Nixdorux, though it took a while for it to grow on me.

The intro itself doesn't bare much resemblance to the source until the staccato instruments reference to the source's harp at 0:56, though at this point I probably wouldn't care less as Nix's way of bringing in the sweeping instrumentation at the time was a beautiful sight for the community. When the melody came in fully on the flute/english horn parts, it becomes recognisable straight away and with it being mashed with the chord substitution it made for this nice and sinister atmosphere built in. I have to say the build based on the C portion of the melody, starting at 2:55, was by far my favorite part; that really showed one of the greatest sense of dynamics from the mixer that I had witnessed during my time here and managed to add to this building of drama brought all around it.

I also commend you for your excellent percussion writing; it may be minimalist with just the booming bass drums, low piano notes and cymbals, but it had proven affective in being able to work with the atmosphere here and helped provide something somewhat inspirational.
It's a shame the brass couldn't quite be as expressive as it could, though considering back then it was harder to get it realised than most other instruments, something like that can be excused. And for what it was, it all turned out to be a very pretty arrangement overall.

Nonetheless, with tracks like this that stand the test of time easily, I have been hoping to see you resurface in due time, and really add some strength to the ever-present French mixing community. Please come back soon Nixdorux; I miss your orchestration skills D:
Old 08-21-2013, 02:23 PM
Ben
Goomba (+100)

This is truly amazing and inspiring! I really love the intro, how it sets up the atmosphere. I also really liked the low piano notes around 1:45 and later on, very nice touch. Starting at 3:39 until the end, this feels very Metroid-esque to me, which is not a bad thing.

Tags
cinematic, orchestral