Old 04-12-2005, 07:07 AM
David W. Lloyd, Administrator
Ganon (+8000)
OC ReMix Artist Profile

OCR01340 - Seiken Densetsu 3 'Path-ology'

What did you think? Post your opinion of this ReMix.

djpretzel / www.ocremix.org / www.djpretzel.com / anime mixes
Sponsored Links

Please join us the next two weeks supporting our sponsor, Theatrhythm Final Fantasy Curtain Call™!!
Old 04-12-2005, 07:11 AM
David Hsu
Sheng Long (+10000)
OC ReMix Artist Profile

Good stuff. Congrats on your first OC ReMix.

<Bleck> Neblix I will punch you in the soul
Old 04-12-2005, 07:59 AM
Abobo (+600)

Send a message via ICQ to mDuo13 Send a message via AIM to mDuo13 Send a message via MSN to mDuo13 Send a message via Yahoo to mDuo13
A very calming "chill" tune, it's a surprising success; congratulations, OverCoat, on finally getting posted -- this mix deserves it.

I've seen some very strong improvement in OverCoat's works lately, such as his two anime remixes, a trend which, he explains, is "only because I'm starting to actually make revisions." Case in point: I listened to a pair of in-progress versions of this mix, and I can definitely say that the revisions have helped significantly. This mix is "chill" style, a genre of music I have only recently started to become attached to.

We begin with some very soothing airy pads and some synthetic bass riffs. Soon a relaxing, effective drumloop kicks in. It's only one loop, played throughout the song, (a trademark of OverCoat's style, one might contend) but it's a good loop. In some styles of music, more variation in the drums would be a necessity, but here, the calm loop is effective and doesn't really ever grate. Even after listening to the mix at least four times, I can't say I've gotten annoyed at the looping of the drums. The lead is played by a fiddle, with an interesting echo applied to it; somehow, it conjures the image of a path through one of those Seiken Densetsu forests. The echo adds a dreamlike quality to it, so that the mix really starts to chill the listener out.

Not having heard the original, I don't have much to compare it to, but I can guess which parts of the song are original, and OverCoat has certainly done enough to mix things up and make the song original. There's some nice variation in the things the instruments play, especially a wonderful solo in the vicinity of 2:26-2:36 by a flutelike, bubbly synth. The chord progression appears to have been modified to be more calming, in true "chill" style.

Now, one thing that this mix certainly lacks is a high-octane, high-energy section: that's not an accident, because it wouldn't fit with the song's mood. However, one could still make an argument that the song is perhaps a little too slow and not varied enough. The instruments don't play the same thing over and over again, but the instrumentation is not highly dynamic: there is some variation, though, and for me it's enough.

Not perfect, but calming and carefully crafted, I look forward to seeing more like this. (Gee, now I'm starting to sound like Mythril "I look forward to seeing more from you" Nazgul.
Old 04-12-2005, 08:05 AM
Scott Porter
Sheng Long (+10000)
OC ReMix Artist Profile

!
Old 04-12-2005, 10:35 AM
Snacks 'N Jaxson (+25)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleOverCoat
!
Indeed.
Old 04-12-2005, 02:18 PM
Knight Wagner
Dan Hibiki (+50)

hmm...

I'm torn on this one. On one hand, this takes you into a whole new world. It's the kind of music you can close your eyes and visualize yourself in some kind of dramatic setting of your choice. On the other, it is kind of simple and a little repetitive. Don't get me wrong, I like everything that's there but it sounds like something that could have been presented in a few minutes at the most, rather than four and a half. For something like this, I can see it going six or seven minutes easily and remaining completely enjoyable if more ideas were introduced and implemented well.

God, I freaking love that violin, though.
Old 04-12-2005, 02:19 PM

OCR=OverCoat ReMix

omgloal

well done soc.
Old 04-12-2005, 04:49 PM
Brandon Bush
Luigi (+2000)
OC ReMix Artist Profile

One drum loop is pretty hard to pull off if you ask me but like mDuo13 said, the loop is good. It sits nicely with the other instruments and although it definitely serves its purpose, it does not detract from or carry the mix. The driving repetition of not just the drum loop but the other melodic elements (esp. the simple and effective bass line) really does a good job of underscoring the subtle variations and solos that appear at opportune points in the song to keep everything feeling fresh and engaging.

My favorite element is certainly the violin. Its a nice sample made even more beautiful by the reverb/cross-delay work. The delay timing on the 'flute' sounds a little off in places but that doesn't lose too many cool points.

Overall, really great stuff and yeah, congrats on your first OCRemix.

Artwork by a fan (whose name unfortunately escapes me) of "Dragon Song". Thank you!
Old 04-12-2005, 05:08 PM
Mother Brain (+4000)

Cool beats.

Strings on this mix are very atmospheric.

The violin sounds really good. I love it.

However, the synth flute is very awful. This stuff can bother me now.

[79/100]
Old 04-12-2005, 07:03 PM
Kraid (+1200)
OC ReMix Artist Profile

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaip
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleOverCoat
!
Indeed.
I was wondering why he didn't get anything up here before...I guess it's all timing. I'll download and review it later once I'm done my gig on Saturday.

Tags
chill, strings, synth