ANNUAL FUNDRAISER!! Help us take OCR to the next level by supporting us on PATREON!!

Old 07-23-2006, 04:38 AM
Snacks 'N Jaxson (+25)

Send a message via ICQ to Antisheep Send a message via AIM to Antisheep Send a message via MSN to Antisheep
WIP - Chrono Trigger: Frog's Theme (Jazz-Hop)

Amphibious

I'm actually doing this for a fun little experiment I'm part of at another web site, but I'll submit it to OCR if I think it stands a chance.

The bass/rhythm guitar/lead guitar are all recorded by me, and drums and keyboard are sampled/soundfonted. I need to re-record most of it, but what I have down is pretty decent.

I'm going to add an improv solo section for guitar and possibly keys, and then an outro.

Edit: Forgot to ask - is this too far from the original tune to be an OC Remix? The only real similarity is the melody.
Sponsored Links

Please register to remove the above advertisement.
Old 07-23-2006, 04:55 AM
Mega Man (+1000)

This is slick, very slick. But I can only hear very very small parts of melody of frogs theme. Try to incorporate more of the melody, otherwise its more of an orginal than an remix. But what you have here is very very good. Do you have any other tracks? I'd love to hear them.
Old 07-23-2006, 05:07 AM
Ross Kmet
Tanooki Mario (+1500)
OC ReMix Artist Profile

Basically the only thing the judges here could have a problem with is a slight lack of frog's theme. But in all reality, this song is wayyyy too good to change too much. If it doesnt pass the interpretations standards, then so what.

It would be cool to see this on the site, but not if it compromises the awesomeness that this track is.

GooglePages
Old 07-23-2006, 05:47 AM
Snacks 'N Jaxson (+25)

Send a message via ICQ to Antisheep Send a message via AIM to Antisheep Send a message via MSN to Antisheep
Those are pretty much my thoughts, RossK. =P Glad someone agrees.

Plus, I've heard remixes on OCR that sound pretty much exactly like the original, so if los judges don't like the originality, who cares, you know?
Old 07-23-2006, 06:49 AM
Snacks 'N Jaxson (+25)

I'm going to have to disagree... I think there's plenty of the original melody in there. Hell, it's more common for a remix to be rejected for not having enough originality than vice versa.

And very nice WIP too. It's one of a very few WIPs I've actually enjoyed enough to keep and relisten to in its incomplete form
Old 07-23-2006, 07:58 AM
Joren de Bruin
Bonus-Kun (+3000)
OC ReMix Artist Profile

DEFINITELY submit this, the arrangement is amazing, and I'm not totally sure about the production since I haven't used my earphones, but it should be all fine if you're playing three of the instruments yourself.
It actually reminds me of Carlos Santana quite a lot, which is a GOOD thing.

As for the original melody, excellent job transposing it, it takes some attention to recognize it, but it's definitely in there. If you extend it to somewhere like three minutes, this could become one helluva arrangement, and definitely one that merits a place on my mp3 player.
Old 07-23-2006, 08:09 AM
Samuel Day
Raccoon Mario (+1450)
OC ReMix Artist Profile

O_O

Damn fine remix, I mean, DAMN fine remix. I can definately see the relation between this and Frog's Theme but I can definately see this not being accepted because your average joe may not. If I were you I'd put in the real notes to Frog's Theme somewhere just so people can actually recognize it and go "ooooh, so THATS what this song is" instead of just improving around the structure and chords of it you should be fine. Very nice work.

reccej.tumblr.com <-- My tumblr
soundcloud.com/fli <-- My tracks
tinyurl.com/yl8w2cv <-- My punk EP
Old 07-23-2006, 03:53 PM
alex
Akuma (+1100)
OC ReMix Artist Profile

This is pretty damn cool. Reminds of me of po's megaman remix. The snare/clap sound kinda bugs me but that's a tiny nitpick thing.

I think as long as the solos you said you'd add have some references to the source it would be fine.

edit: actually forget that, Neskvartetten have tons of remixes where the solos have no connection to the source. I think this has a perfect amount of the source material right now.
Old 07-23-2006, 07:29 PM
Shaun Wallace, Humans + Gears Director
Dracula (+2750)
OC ReMix Artist Profile

damn that was refreshing, wicked nice, i would say do what you can to get this on the site bc it deserves to be, but don't jeopardize the sound of this just to implement a more noticeable part of frog's theme, obviously it would be awesome if you did put in more of frog's theme and still kept this incredible sound, very well put together keep on experimenting
Old 07-23-2006, 08:17 PM
Snacks 'N Jaxson (+25)

Okay, I've decided that where the demo leaves off, I'm going to have a solo section where the keyboard, bass, and guitar (probably in that order) get to solo. It's going to be hard to have them interact like a real jazz rhythm section would since it's not going to be a live recording, but I'm going to try my best.

thanks for the feedback, all. I'll make sure to be true to the sound instead of to what I think will be more "OCR". ^_^