Sign in to follow this  
Arek the Absolute

Super Smash Bros Brawl

Whoever did this... nuts...

My youngest brother and I:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ITTxpbx9loA

^He won by a hair (edit). I was bullshittin', shooting missiles to keep him distant.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEh3rbfSfCw

^"Tie"; bullshit deaths, as I call them. We're too cool to take causeless falls as victories, lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKTz4Dy43W4

^Kirby vs Ness: I win.

you need to stop practicing on the temple

it will do you no good at all except practicing roof wall teching but seriously stop

go to fd and spend like an hour practicing wave dashing

dont question just do it

also your ness needs a whole lot of work

you leave way too many windows open to attack where yyou just stand there

google video/youtube simna if you want to see an insane ness

it will take you a long long time to be on par with him but if you practice and dont take what we say in stride then you may just get there

aka me extending the olive branch so TAKE IT

And if you want to practice l-cancelling (and by if I mean when), do the home-run contest. Seriously. That's how I learned. http://www.folderol.net/HRCguide.php Practice, practice and more practice. It's impossible for me to not l-cancel now.

Jam: Mookie actually came down to NC once and I got to meet him. Have a Roy chat and some dittos. It was pretty sweet. After we couldn't come up with any new Roy stuff (hell, we tried to come up with Roy spike combos - haha yeah we didn't get far with the dair), he moved onto Mewtwo. After a while of losing, he switched to Marth and instantly started winning. Oh Mewtwo, how you suck.

This is the greatest Roy spike you'll ever see. It perfectly captures the failure of Roy:

I used to be a Roy main when I first started going to tournaments. I actually won a couple of matches with him, but God he's so terrible. You only main Roy if you like losing and PHIRE!!1!

This is the greatest Roy spike you'll ever see. It perfectly captures the failure of Roy:

I used to be a Roy main when I first started going to tournaments. I actually won a couple of matches with him, but God he's so terrible. You only main Roy if you like losing and PHIRE!!1!

what the hell happened there!?

what the hell happened there!?

Marth meteor-canceled Roy's dair, and made it back. Roy, a fastfaller, was doomed the moment he went for the meteor smash.

Or in other words, Roy got Roy'd. That's what happens when you try to get a kill WITHOUT PHIRE.

Marth meteor-canceled Roy's dair, and made it back. Roy, a fastfaller, was doomed the moment he went for the meteor smash.

Or in other words, Roy got Roy'd. That's what happens when you try to get a kill WITHOUT PHIRE.

PHIRE B GUD 4 GROOPIE! No, really, Marth and Roy are practical destroyers. Their weaknesses hardly matter at all (unless they're going against someone with strong enough of an advantage when used right). The problems usually arise when they need hang time, but their swords make up for that. Using them is somewhat like combining Link and Sheik (with Peach's defense, minus her aerial advantage). I'll have to use Marth/Roy again in order to see how quickly they recover from B-Up. Of course they're left vulnerable when they miscalculate the timing of B-Down.

Even though Marth and Roy make fights easier, that can only be so when they're used correctly. Use them wrong and ROFL! Especially Mr. "Roy's our boy". PHIRE, lol.

what. how does one meteor cancel, that sounds like it would be immensely useful.

After a meteor smash (ex. Roy's dair, Samus' dair, etc.), if you time it just right you can jump or up-b out of it, and you can make it back to the stage. I'm not exactly sure about the timing, because it's pretty specific. However, you cannot meteor cancel true spikes. As far as I know, the only true spikes in the game are Marth's dair and Falco's dair (those were made into meteor smashes in the PAL version, so they can be meteor canceled in the PAL version).

Salluz, Roy is nothing like Marth. He's slow, has no range, has no aerial game, horrendous recovery and no combos to speak of outside of fair => dtilt => nair. If you want to pick up one of them, play Marth, as he's vastly superior to Roy in every way imaginable. I contend that Roy is one of the worst characters in the game.

Marth, I think, is the second most forgiving of the top tier characters (Sheik being first). He doesn't really require that much tech skill to make him a winner; pretty much the hardest thing to learn for Marth is his chaingrab on Fox/Falco. Everything about him is retardedly good, and it takes far less of an investment to play well with him than, say, Fox, Falco, Falcon and even Peach.

Also, SBR has released their "final" Melee tier list:

Fox 9.9

Marth 9.9

Sheik 9.7

Falco 9.2

High

Peach 8.4

Captain Falcon 8.0

Jigglypuff 8.0

Ice Climbers 7.9

Middle

Samus 6.8

Dr. Mario 6.2

Ganondorf 6.0

Luigi 5.8

Donkey Kong 5.4

Mario 5.3

Low

Link 4.7

Pikachu 4.3

Young Link 4.2

Roy 3.6

Zelda 3.0

Game and Watch 3.0

Bottom

Ness 2.5

Yoshi 2.5

Bowser 2.2

Mewtwo 1.8

Kirby 1.5

Pichu 1.2

How do you have a final tier list with a constantly changing metagame?

Heh, Mewtwo's not rock bottom anymore. And oh man, Zelda is low now. Score.

it will do you no good at all except practicing roof wall teching but seriously stop

dont question just do it

it will take you a long long time to be on par with him but if you practice and dont take what we say in stride then you may just get there

I love it when Arek is civil. :)

Oh man Arek, I was playing with Luigi in Melee today, he's SO good and fun. Too bad his recovery is beyond terrible.

Here's one of my favorite matches ever. It features Ken, the current Evo Melee champion of the world (and current contestant on Survivor), playing someone other than his standard character, Marth. He's playing against Wobbles, the other premier IC player besides Chu Dat:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CsnQWIFG91w

WTF @ the IC grab glitch. Never seen that before.

That's Wobbling, invented by Wobbles. What you do is have Popo tap neutral A, and have Nana tap ftilt. If you time it right, the opponent is stuck in perpetual hitstun, and can't break out of the grab. Rinse and repeat until sufficient damage is done to finish with a dsmash/fsmash.

dont question just do it

Eh, wavedashing is a useful tool and all but the majority of the tech-only players can't even use wavedashing and L-Cancel that well anyways. Wavedashing made so many people think they were good when all it did was make them easier to kill since wavedashing leaves you wide open. I remember this one guy talk trash to me at some scrub tournament I decided to crash for fun saying how good he was and then I just four stocked him in the finals lmao. Wavedash couldn't save him.

If you learn wavedash, at least invest in some time to use it wisely.

Yeah jam, I recently played melee again and played as luigi (my old main, along side c.falc) and it was just refreshing how punchy and agile he is compared to Brawl.

^This

Just sliding around and wavedashing with no purpose does not make you better. :P

its better to know it than to not

after learning how to use it you obviously practice APPLICATION

one cannot apply what they to not know

fgt

wavedash back to foward smash is still the bane of agressive types everywhere. I can't beleieve how many times I've eaten Spamus' f-smash because of that tactic. I use it too, sometimes but it just seems too obvious to be effective. Apparently that is not the case, though.