Super Smash Bros Brawl

Arek the Absolute

I'm just a casual Smash fan and in Melee i used Link. People always say he's a cheese character. So for Brawl i want to start off fresh and learn a character that people will actually recognize. I know most tourny people use Marth and it seems like Pit is going to be a good character as well. So who should i learn? and what characters are banned from tournaments?

MUST. PLAY. THIS. GAME. NOW.

*drool*

Most of the characters I actually cared about are back, and I'm excited about so of the new choices. I'm a bit disappointed with the lack of colors for Sonic, but other than that, this looks amazing.

Is anyone else interested to see how the Pokémon trainer plays? It's certainly an interesting concept for a Smash character. I doubt it'll be my first choice, but it could potentially be pretty fun.

The guy using it in his sig is the artist, click on it and you get to see his deviant.

Haha, what? I'm not the artist of that pic and never once claimed I was; it's linked in my sig just so people can see the source.

I haven't updated it to his newest version though, because I use this sig on several forums, and some are trigger happy about spoiling Brawl. Figured I'd leave it at this one until the game comes out.

So who should i learn? and what characters are banned from tournaments?

In Melee, Mr. Game & Watch was usually banned from tournaments because he's too flat, while Mewtwo was banned because he's legendary. Mr. Game & Watch is still banned in Brawl, but Lucario is allowed. People are talking about Luigi being banned for his game-breaking taunts and Samus for her R-select ZSS glitch. Overall, I'd say you should probably main R.O.B. He seems like he'll be top tier with his Nintendo-saves and Cyclops-cancels.

In Melee, Mr. Game & Watch was usually banned from tournaments because he's too flat, while Mewtwo was banned because he's legendary. Mr. Game & Watch is still banned in Brawl, but Lucario is allowed. People are talking about Luigi being banned for his game-breaking taunts and Samus for her R-select ZSS glitch. Overall, I'd say you should probably main R.O.B. He seems like he'll be top tier with his Nintendo-saves and Cyclops-cancels.

I lol'd.

Haha, what? I'm not the artist of that pic and never once claimed I was; it's linked in my sig just so people can see the source.

I haven't updated it to his newest version though, because I use this sig on several forums, and some are trigger happy about spoiling Brawl. Figured I'd leave it at this one until the game comes out.

Oooh ok, I figured since you linked to it that it was yours as well. :P

lack of l cancelling is not an issue, even though i used to do it all the time the lack of it doesnt make a difference once you realize its gone

the BIGGEST difference is the change to directional air dodging, well the lack of it i guess

i still havent gotten used to it and ive played a LOT

pokemon trainer sucks

horribly

pit is pretty good although he lacks a real killing move

my mains are jiggs and olimar

olimar is really good but will be HORRIBLE the first time you play as him

also lucas is a ton better than ness

I played a little for the first time today and the only points I can (dis)agree on are about Olimar and Pokemon Trainer. Trainer is actually really good, in my opinion. He fosters three different playstyles which complement each other well and he was enjoyable at the very least. Olimar is awesome and quite powerful.

lack of l cancelling is not an issue, even though i used to do it all the time the lack of it doesnt make a difference once you realize its gone

the BIGGEST difference is the change to directional air dodging, well the lack of it i guess

i still havent gotten used to it and ive played a LOT

pokemon trainer sucks

horribly

pit is pretty good although he lacks a real killing move

my mains are jiggs and olimar

olimar is really good but will be HORRIBLE the first time you play as him

also lucas is a ton better than ness

Glad to hear that Olimar is working out. I've heard comments about how you just can't see how Olimar can be effective at first. Does PKMN trainer really suck that bad? I was looking forward to trying him out. Here's a cool video of Pit Vs Marth

I'm just a casual Smash fan and in Melee i used Link. People always say he's a cheese character. So for Brawl i want to start off fresh and learn a character that people will actually recognize. I know most tourny people use Marth and it seems like Pit is going to be a good character as well. So who should i learn? and what characters are banned from tournaments?

Honestly, play who you like. Whether you want to play for fun or get into the tournament scene, you'll go much further playing as a character you enjoy than just going with a character because they're higher on the tier list.

every time any of us have been pokemon trainer weve lost

in other news i just played an online match and in terms of distance it was NY vs GA and the lag rendered the match completely unplayable

so unless the servers are in japan only and that is what is creating this lag you can just assume that the game has no online play at all

amidst a game that id almost deem as perfect besides that i say

WAY TO FREAKING SCREW IT UP NINTENDO

so unless the servers are in japan only and that is what is creating this lag you can just assume that the game has no online play at all

I'd imagine since there are "only" Japanese players playing Brawl right now, the American servers won't be up until It comes out there.

Which is gonna suck for me because I have an American Wii in Japan.

Oh what?

Aw man, I thought I read that wrong in other places. That's awful.

I guess I'll deal, but man there goes part of my general strategy.

I didn't like it at first either, but then I found out that dodging no longer puts you into a "helpless" state. You can attack and do your midair jump after air dodging now. I guess it's one of the ways they're trying to encourage midair battles this time around.

Pretty cool, I think. Should make for more fluid midair fighting.

Ok, anyone kinda laughing at the fact that Atma was the most negative about SSBB and yet he buys it before anyone.

And then he finds more reasons to bitch even though the infrastructure in north america is not setup up yet.

And he will buy the game a second time...

He complained about the game because he was interested in it and had high hopes about it. I doubt he would spend that much time talking about a game that wasn't even out yet unless he were somewhat obsessive about it, like many of us.

I think he meant a secret stage based on the Donkey Kong arcade game.

I think I saw a video of it somewhere, don't remember where, though...

Bingo. It's the only stage I haven't seen yet.

EDIT: Urk, just found it.

Ok, anyone kinda laughing at the fact that Atma was the most negative about SSBB and yet he buys it before anyone.

And then he finds more reasons to bitch even though the infrastructure in north america is not setup up yet.

And he will buy the game a second time...

hilarious post for certain reasons i will not post