Metal Gear Solid, PS1 or GC version?

Overflow

A while back I found the PS1 version of MGS at my EB games for $10 bucks, but I didn't get it because I wondered if it was worth looking for the GC version instead. They're the same game but the GC has more 'stuff' and better graphics, so do you think I should get the GC version instead?

I've become very interested in the MGS games, and I'd like to try them but I want to start from the beginning and get the whole experience.

P.S. Is it true that the GC version includes the original MG for NES?

Hmmm...that's a toughie. Both games are *really* great IMHO, though it all really depends on what you want out of a game. If you want the original, and all the nostalgia that goes with the original, then get the PS1 version. If you want upgraded graphics, more Nintendo-based humor (Such as the Nintendo/Silicon Knights version of the Psycho Mantis fight, or the hidden Gamecube system and Yoshi/Mario bobbleheads), and some seriously amazing, redone cinematics, then get the GCN version. The other big plus with the Gamecube version of the game is that you get a tranqilizer pistol, with the first-person view mode that was introduced in MGS2; it actually makes the game easier.

Overall, I'd say to go with The Twin Snakes, for Gamecube. The original is an absolute classic of course, but TTS is a completely remastered, upgraded version of the original. Completely worth the money, if you can get past the slightly odd controls.

Also, the original Metal Gear was included in the bonus disc for Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence. I believe it was called the "Persistence" disc. There is no unlockable Metal Gear on the Gamecube version, sadly :(

Honestly, I'd say that Subsistence is also worth tracking down, if you're interested in following the Metal Gear storyline. Not only does it include the first two games in the series (Metal Gear and Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake), but Metal Gear Solid 3 is chronologically the first game in the franchise.

Chronologically, the games go as follows;

Metal Gear Solid 3 (Go with Subsistence version)

Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops

Metal Gear (MSX2)

Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake (MSX2...although, I'm not sure if this one takes place before or after MGS1)

Metal Gear Solid (Go with Twin Snakes version)

Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty

Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots

It's a weird chronology, but there you go! :)

A while back I found the PS1 version of MGS at my EB games for $10 bucks, but I didn't get it because I wondered if it was worth looking for the GC version instead. They're the same game but the GC has more 'stuff' and better graphics, so do you think I should get the GC version instead?

I've become very interested in the MGS games, and I'd like to try them but I want to start from the beginning and get the whole experience.

I've only played the GC version so far (still haven't found my PS1 memory card yet, so I haven't played the PS1 version that came with the MGS Collection), so without being able to compare to the PS1 version I can say I really liked it.

One thought would be to get the MGS Collection, though, which would set you back $30 or $40 (I forget now) and comes with the original PS1 MGS, as well as 2 and 3. Just a quick way to pick up those 3 MGS games if you're interesting in the whole series.

To answer you other question, the GC version doesn't have the original MG as far as I know.

the PS1 version is superior in every way EXCEPT for the graphics. The cutscenes are more emotional, the music is better, voice acting is better, and IMO the experience is better than it's Gamecube counterpart. The Gamecube makes a few corrections (like changing a few characters accents for story reasons, minor things like that), but other than that, go with the PlayStation version. Or like they said up there, get the Essential Collection.

The Gamecube version is interesting to mess around with, but... meh, the cutscenes are done really over the top, and I hope it's not nostalgia speaking, but the PS1 version really has a different aura about it while playing through it. It just feels better.

There are some REALLY emotional parts in the original version that are lost in the Gamecube one. Trust me. I know their mouths don't move, but they change the music and the feeling and everything. I guess I'm kind of a Metal Gear purist, but it just... a lot of scenes lose their impact on the Gamecube version.

The Gamecube version is interesting to mess around with, but... meh, the cutscenes are done really over the top, and I hope it's not nostalgia speaking, but the PS1 version really has a different aura about it while playing through it. It just feels better.

Haha, I've never played Twin Snakes, but when you start talking about the "aura" and that it "feels better" you know it's nostalgia speaking. :P MGS in general is pretty ridiculous, so over-the-top cutscenes are not a problem for me.

Loved your Liquid Snake interview BTW. Someone needs to make a Flash out of it and watch it get millions of hits on Newgrounds and YouTube. :D

Haha, I've never played Twin Snakes, but when you start talking about the "aura" and that it "feels better" you know it's nostalgia speaking. :P MGS in general is pretty ridiculous, so over-the-top cutscenes are not a problem for me.

Loved your Liquid Snake interview BTW. Someone needs to make a Flash out of it and watch it get millions of hits on Newgrounds and YouTube. :D

I don't know. The atmosphere is just different... the fantastic music is almost entirely replaced with mediocre, forgettable techno and the voice acting isn't as good as the original. Choices in cinematography are silly sometimes too. Snake can't do freakin' backflips, jump off of missiles, dodging bullets Matrix style, or any of that. That's what I meant by different aura. It just feels... way... different, even when compared to the style/ambience of MGS2, MGS3, and MGS4. It kind of sticks out stylistically.

I mean, Metal Gear has as a series has some ridiculous over the top cutscenes, but Twin Snakes just took everything and made them even more ridiculous, which I thought was impossible. At least the original was grounded in some kind of series based "reality" that was marginally believable in the game world. *shrugs* I really hope it's not nostalgia motivating this, because I hate people that do that and I deserve to be fatally shot in the face in that case. lol.

Thanks for the compliment on the Liquid interview. I had a blast making that thing. Probably should make a new one soon... :) If I could get a Flash Animator to animate it that would be fantastic, but I don't know who/where to go to. I put it on Newgrounds a week or so ago, so maybe i can find an animator one of these days. :) I could go for millions of YouTube/NewGrounds hits... Maybe it'd help launch my voice acting career. lol. ^_~ I can dream right?

I played Twin Snakes first, so when I recently got the box set that includes the PS1 version, I wasn't overly happy with it. If I had played the PS1 version first, I'm sure I'd feel different, but if you haven't played either, go with the GCN version if you can.

Chronologically, the games go as follows;

Do NOT play them in chronological order. There are many elements about this series which make playing them in release order the best. Besides, I'm not sure whether Portable Ops fits in there (seems kind of like the Acid series and the Game Boy Color game... in a completely different world).

I don't think so, but Metal Gear 1 and 2 come with the Metal Gear Solid 3 Subsistence special edition. They're retranslated, and are SO worth it. In fact, I may be able to sell it to you...

I'd go with Twin Snakes personally, since it has Sons of Liberty's engine integrated in the game. And even better cutscenes in some areas. But the voice acting I felt was just a bit better in the original Metal Gear Solid game for PS1 (I have the PC edition of that game, it came with VR missions).

I've played both as recently as last summer. I prefer the Playstation 1 version for several reasons.

1)The GC version maintains the original MGS level designs, but has the MGS2 guard AI. This makes the game harder in an annoying kind of way. In MGS2 the guard AI was cool because the game had extra places for you to hide. Not so in the Twin Snakes. You are sometimes just fucked. It depends on your playing style. I typically play MGS by often resetting when I get caught.

2)The action cut scenes are more "Matrixy" with lots of bullet time. It's lame. Snake backflips off a missle. It's fucking stupid.

3)The music is not as good. It's more technoy. I prefer the original soundtrack.

4)Campbell's actor didn't do as good a job in the Twin Snakes. He delivers his lines with a lot less emotion and more like robo-Colonel from MGS2. This is probably a matter of opinion (no shit). Considering the storyline of MGS and what's going on back at base, maybe it makes sense for the Colonel to be a little more cold towards Snake.

In the Twin Snakes defense, I found the Psycho Mantis sequence more freaky and crazy. The boss music was cool because it integrated his mind-control music, and the pictures laughing at you is pretty creepy. Overall though, if you want MGS 2, go play MGS 2.

the PS1 version is superior in every way EXCEPT for the graphics. The cutscenes are more emotional, the music is better, voice acting is better, and IMO the experience is better than it's Gamecube counterpart. The Gamecube makes a few corrections (like changing a few characters accents for story reasons, minor things like that), but other than that, go with the PlayStation version. Or like they said up there, get the Essential Collection.

There are some REALLY emotional parts in the original version that are lost in the Gamecube one. Trust me. I know their mouths don't move, but they change the music and the feeling and everything. I guess I'm kind of a Metal Gear purist, but it just... a lot of scenes lose their impact on the Gamecube version.

Definitely agree here, particularly about some of the more emotional scenes that just did NOT translate well to Twin Snakes.Thus, I'd recommend the PS1 version any day of the week. Even the graphical overhaul of Twin Snakes cannot convince me otherwise. Besides, another thing lost in the Twin Snakes was the really gritty feel of the PS1 original, which was a huge part of the atmosphere.

It's probably already been said, but I'd strongly recommend getting both. To me, there was more challenge to MGS on the Playstation because there was no first person sighting, and a few sneak moves were missing. It's an epic experience, really.

Twin Snakes is basically MGS redone with the Sons of Liberty shell and control scheme. Twin snakes is great, but you lose a lot of the power of the original, really. And you'll wanna slap Mei Ling in Twin Snakes once you've heard her in the original.

Lol, I guess I'll pick up the original too, even if I want to get TS sometime in the future ;p

I kinda like the 'gritty' style lower quality graphics have; the PS1 and DS have that style, and it definitely sets a mood.

I didn't realize they overhauled the game THAT much: Redoing music and cutscenes? That seems a little, what's the word, disrespectful to the original?

I'll grab MGS for PS1 next time I see it, then. It would feel good to boot up the old box, anyways. ;)

BTW, MGS3 is for PS2, right?

I don't know. The atmosphere is just different... the fantastic music is almost entirely replaced with mediocre, forgettable techno and the voice acting isn't as good as the original. Choices in cinematography are silly sometimes too. Snake can't do freakin' backflips, jump off of missiles, dodging bullets Matrix style, or any of that. That's what I meant by different aura. It just feels... way... different, even when compared to the style/ambience of MGS2, MGS3, and MGS4. It kind of sticks out stylistically.

QFT.

The music in Twin Snakes is a REAL disapointment. I really wouldn't play it until you've experienced the original. Don't get me wrong, I like Twin Snakes a lot, I just don't like it nearly as much as PSX MGS.

In my opinion, the music for MGS 1 is fairly forgettable no matter which version you're referring to. The now famous Metal Gear Solid theme was not even in that game so far as I know, I believe it first showed up in Virtual Missions in 1999. I didn't care for any of the music until Harry Gregson Williams got his hooks into it, and turned Hibino's theme into a piece of music so epic it should be our Goddamn national anthem.

In my opinion, the music for MGS 1 is fairly forgettable no matter which version you're referring to. The now famous Metal Gear Solid theme was not even in that game so far as I know, I believe it first showed up in Virtual Missions in 1999. I didn't care for any of the music until Harry Gregson Williams got his hooks into it, and turned Hibino's theme into a piece of music so epic it should be our Goddamn national anthem.

I'll have to disagree with you there. What about "the best is yet to come"? GHW did do the the theme well in MGS2 though. The clasic MGS theme is in the original (unless i'm completely retarded). There are a couple versions, the one from E3 in Atlanta is my fav. I'm having trouble remembering where it played in game, so maybe it was just used in demo's and commercials and such.

I can't believe some are saying the Sons of Liberty engine was a plus for Twin Snakes. Because the game isn't really meant to handle being purely 3D. Even MGS2 and MGS3 felt like they had no business being played with the strange 3D camera systems. I think you should probably play both, but starting from the original and best version in the old PSX version. And everybody has chimed in again and again in many Metal Gear threads, but the subtle touch of the original PSX version is lost with Twin Snakes with its heavy emphasis on making it over Hollywood-style.

Then again, I honestly think one of the best versions of Metal Gear was Ghost Babel. Because the camera doesn't bastardize the way the action was meant to be. MGS1 came the closest to the formula, and by that, I mean the PSX version obviously.