OCR TF2: New Server forthcoming - new server IPs and other stuff

Bahamut

You guys know that I love Arena.

That being said, the majority of the people on the server seem to have some kinda...I dunno, hatred for it. We had JUST started arena_well and pretty much everyone RTVed.

I figure if we just have an arena every 5 maps, that'd be fine with me and would be a small enough number for the people who don't like it.

People hate Arena because they don't like sitting out. I know that when I connect to the server, I want to play. I don't want to watch people play.

Unless you're an absolutely amazing player, you will invariably have to sit out a few rounds. That's annoying. It's especially annoying when people decide they don't want to cap the point but hunt down that last player who just won't die, thereby extending the round longer than it should be.

I don't like Arena; I think the implementation is crappy. Dealing with no respawn is fine, but going whole rounds without even playing? No thanks.

Arena is one of those play modes that needs to be on it's own server, I mean it's not bad it's just everybody has to be in the right mood to play it, and as you can tell by pretty much every time an arena map comes up on this server not everyone wants to play it. It really has nothing to do with how it's played... and everything to do with having to sit out. These days if you play a cooperative game like TF2 there really is no excuse for not having a mic or disabling all mic chatter, in the heat of battle nobody is gonna stop to type. It's not like anybody ever mic spams on the official OCR server, and it's not that hard to mute somebody who is.

In before obligatory EdgeCrusher asshole reply post.

No sense of teamwork in Arena? I disagree fully. Play with any of the ZUZ guys and you'll hear teamwork in that they'll tell you exactly where everyone is and exactly what they're seeing, etc.

That being said, I think that it was done a bit poorly. The fact of the matter is, there's NO reason for there to only be 8v8. It should absolutely go higher. Also, crits should either be lessened a TON or taken off all together.

BTW: when are we going to try Zephyr's map? I really wanna play it with other people.

Play with any of the ZUZ guys and you'll hear teamwork in that they'll tell you exactly where everyone is and exactly what they're seeing, etc.

that's not teamwork as much as it is serious business which about sums up the ZUZ guys perfectly

No sense of teamwork in Arena? I disagree fully. Play with any of the ZUZ guys and you'll hear teamwork in that they'll tell you exactly where everyone is and exactly what they're seeing, etc.

That being said, I think that it was done a bit poorly. The fact of the matter is, there's NO reason for there to only be 8v8. It should absolutely go higher. Also, crits should either be lessened a TON or taken off all together.

BTW: when are we going to try Zephyr's map? I really wanna play it with other people.

We could have more than 8 vs 8 if the server cap is raised up to 32 players. But I don't see 12 vs 12 being fun on lumberyard or well.

So I'm pretty sure nobody will recognize me, but I was a lurker back in the old forum days (pretty sure I was TanMoor2005 then, maybe even Joe Bobfred). Once the forum changed I just stopped checking threads. Caught this topic on the main page and thought I'd look into it. If you see Herbin' Legend playing, it's me.

I paid Bahamut for this month's reservation on the TF2 server. This is a friendly reminder that you should do the same. Hooray honor!

I like arena maps more than some regular maps, but less than some favorites. I could take them or leave them. However, I do agree with others who point out that regardless of its fun, it doesn't feel like TF2. I suppose that means I'm leaning toward removing them, or at least playing less. For example, I would remove arena_well and arena_granary because the cp versions are more fun. Some would argue cp_badlands is more fun than arena, as well. Leaving the occasional lumberyard seems fun to me though.

Also, I love custom maps.

Alright, so current rotation:

pl_badwater

arena_lumberyard

ctf_turbine

pl_goldrush

cp_dustbowl

cp_gravelpit

cp_fastlane

cp_granary

pl_badwater

arena_ravine

ctf_2fort

cp_steel

cp_dustbowl

pl_badwater

cp_well

cp_badlands

tc_hydro

pl_dustbowl_b4

Also, the arena maps should hopefully now be 15 minutes instead of 30 minutes, and crits are now disabled for arena maps.

I paid Bahamut for this month's reservation on the TF2 server. This is a friendly reminder that you should do the same. Hooray honor!

Well, I paid several months at once so I wouldn't have to remember every month. :)

There are only three CTF maps in the rotation. I demand equal representation. ;)

For official maps, the number of CP maps greatly outweigh the number of CTF maps. It's not surprising to see more CP maps because of it.

Also, there's actually two types of cp maps: the free-for-all ones (well, granary, badlands, and fastlane) and the attack/defense ones (dustbowl, gravel pit, and steel). Territory Control (hydro) is a cross between the two styles (normally free-for-all, but switches to attack/defense for the last point).

I add my vote for custom map night, custom maps tend to really cut down on players during normal sessions, but if we all agree on a custom map night I'm sure more people will stick around. I'd also love to try out my custom map on the server sometime and that sounds like a good time for it. Kritzkrieg still works on arena though right? Good.