Harmonix is hiring

Deathtank

Yeah...

Desired Qualifications:

BS or MS in Computer Science, Engineering, Mathematics, or Physics.

4+ years of C++ programming including templates, STL, algorithms, optimization, assembly coding, debugging, and code documentation.

2+ years of game programming, having shipped at least two game titles.

A deep understanding of object-oriented programming, design and code portability.

Experience with 3D graphics, physics, sound/audio, multithreaded programming, user-interface programming, and/or network programming.

How fortunate that I, a college student, have done all that. Just what they were looking for!

Significant experience in prior systems administration positions (2 to 1,000 years)

You know what, this is one of the many reason our economy is in the shitter right now. People only want to hire people with a ton of experience; entry level jobs are almost nonexistent, and even the entry level ones they want someone with a ton of experience.

How the F am I supposed to get experience if you want it to begin with? ARGHGHGHGHGHG

Significant experience in prior systems administration positions (2 to 1,000 years)

You know what, this is one of the many reasons our economy is in the shitter right now. People only want to hire people with a ton of experience; entry level jobs are almost nonexistent, and even the entry level ones they want someone with a ton of experience.

How the F am I supposed to get experience if you want it to begin with? ARGHGHGHGHGHG

This. Right here.

It's for this reason I've had a harrowing time looking for a career. They want experience, and moreover *relevant* experience. Granted, you don't need all the experience they say you do, but it's to make you competitive. Granted, Harmonix is a whole other demon than simply entry level work, but... damn.

You know what, this is one of the many reason our economy is in the shitter right now. People only want to hire people with a ton of experience; entry level jobs are almost nonexistent, and even the entry level ones they want someone with a ton of experience.

Yea this never made sense to me. When I first left college, all entry level jobs I looked at wanted five years of experience for whatever I was looking at. FIVE YEARS.

WHAT THE HELL KIND OF ENTRY LEVEL IS THIS? WHAT WOULD YOU CALL JOBS THAT REQUIRED ZERO YEARS? PRE-ENTRY?

Gimme a break.

Time was companies didn't give a crap if you had practical experience, would pluck you out of school, and provide the training to turn you into something useful. Then they started realizing their employees weren't sticking around long enough to make it worth their while so they don't do it anymore. You can blame a lack of loyalty among employees more than employers on this one. Not that I blame anyone who leaves for a better job, or better employer.

Accounting is probably one of the few professional fields I know of where you not only get the proper training needed (thanks in part to a system that keeps you kind of stuck in one spot for as much as 3 years), but where the employer also expects that most of the people who get said training won't stick around more than a year after they get it.

Yea this never made sense to me. When I first left college, all entry level jobs I looked at wanted five years of experience for whatever I was looking at. FIVE YEARS.

Gimme a break.

I did go to Technical School for electrical wiring (I wanted to work with computers). The School was privately owned, the owner died, and the school was bought out. In the middle of the semester, one by one, they fired the teachers there (as one teacher who still kept his job said, he "retired" early). I ended up leaving, because the substitutes (each one different) that came in every day did not know about our subjects.

That was four years ago.

I never recommended that college to anyone, as far as I last heard, it was bought out again, and it's no longer a tech school, but some law, nursing, and office school.

Honestly, I'm glad I didn't try going to another school. Yes, I know that sounds like I'm a bum, loser, slacker, whatever you want to call me. But know this, JUST BECAUSE YOU GET A DEGREE, DOES NOT MEAN YOU ARE GUARANTEED A JOB ANYMORE (5 to 10 years ago, it would have, and I probably would have finished my schooling). I wish I didn't listen to that crap in high school, where they try to scare you into thinking you'll never amount to anything unless you either join the military or you enter college, because if someone only judges the person you are by your education, then to me, that person is an idiot. I had several friends in school I have seen that look down on me because I'm not a college student, and honestly, I don't really think I've lost anything with them. I've seen some intelligent people who never went to advanced schooling, and I've seen people who have a degree in their hand, yet they can't even use a tape measure, or could barely even do basic math without a calculator.

Sorry, this is just a rant. But I do think it's unfair sometimes when companies see a degree, and now say, "Oh, well, you need three years experience, sorry." Sometimes, it's understandable, but other times, it's unfair. Whoever here is trying to get into Harmonix, I applaud you. Because it's a company that is trying to expand the music gaming market, not just constantly shelling out a game with little features. Yes, I'm referring to Guitar Hero, and to me, it's going to be the next Tony Hawk, with little improvements each year, and slowly gets stale. As far as I've heard, Harmonix wants their game to get to the point that you could actually use REAL instruments. And that, would be something to see.

Sorry, getting off topic AGAIN....

Whoever here is trying to get into Harmonix, I applaud you. Because it's a company that is trying to expand the music gaming market, not just constantly shelling out a game with little features.

Not trying to criticize your opinion here, but RB2 has me thinking Harmonix is risking falling into the same rut as GH. It doesn't really add that much over the original from what I've been hearing. It may improve some things, but they aren't exactly doing a lot to expand on the genre by releasing a full game when many tweaks could have simply been patched in. Then again, it was a combination of Rock Band and GH3 that killed the rythm game genre in it's current form for me, so I may be letting a little bit of bitter hatred colour my opinion.

This is why I love the co-op program at my university. By the time I graduate I get at least 1 years worth of paid experience. Granted this isnt that much when they want 5 years of whatever, but this gives you connections. Especially when the companies you work for offer you a job once you graduate.

Can I just agree completely with this? I did 16 months in total of co-op terms with an accounting firm, and not only did I get a job with the firm when I graduated, I got to find out if I even liked the job, and was able to apply a lot of what I learned from actually working in my University accounting courses, and with my first two professional courses in the CA program. I know quite a few people who are going through the CA program with me now who never did co-op, and people who've done it in the past, but I do think it makes things much easier. Even if it did take me 5 years to graduate instead of 4.

Not trying to criticize your opinion here, but RB2 has me thinking Harmonix is risking falling into the same rut as GH. It doesn't really add that much over the original from what I've been hearing. It may improve some things, but they aren't exactly doing a lot to expand on the genre by releasing a full game when many tweaks could have simply been patched in. Then again, it was a combination of Rock Band and GH3 that killed the rythm game genre in it's current form for me, so I may be letting a little bit of bitter hatred colour my opinion.

Harmonix has said in the past that their goal is to "Innovate, then refine." GH2 and RB2 both fit that bill pretty well. I don't know what they plan for the future of Rock Band, but I'm willing to bet they keep supporting it with plentiful DLC, but announce some big new project within the next year or two. I'm just hoping they don't pass the Rock Band franchise off to someone else like they did Guitar Hero.

Harmonix has said in the past that their goal is to "Innovate, then refine." GH2 and RB2 both fit that bill pretty well. I don't know what they plan for the future of Rock Band, but I'm willing to bet they keep supporting it with plentiful DLC, but announce some big new project within the next year or two. I'm just hoping they don't pass the Rock Band franchise off to someone else like they did Guitar Hero.

True that they did refine it and that was the trend when they handled GH as well, but I recall around the time RB originally came out they said that with DLC they wouldn't even do a sequel unless they could do something really new and innovative. I guess that all went out the window when they realized just how much money they were making though, the way things usually go.

And I doubt they'd have to pass RB on to another developer unless MTV sells them off. I'm pretty sure losing GH had to do with Red Octane owning the rights to the name and being bought by Activision while MTV bought Harmonix. Even still, I doubt they would have made another game with the Guitar Hero title had it not happened what with their shift to a full band.

No worries mate. I do agree that there's little improvement between RB and RB2, but I think it's a step in the right direction. I hope that the music game genre improves, but I don't see myself really getting much further into it, I'd honestly rather get back into learning how to play REAL guitar.