OCR01040 - Chrono Trigger "600 A.D. in Piano"

djpretzel

kLuTz... I must say, you are a master of the piano, whether with a technoish backup, or simply by itself... it is amazing the things you pull off... keep up the good work, and make some more, dammit!

I particularly like the innovated variations you put in the parts at 2'27" and 2'41"... That's a Mozart-type technique, correct?

Anyways, keep up the good work *attempts to force all of his divine inspiration (not much) into kLuTz*

Aagh, I'm spent...

~Falcis Umbrae~

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
This is a stunning piano arrangement which beautifully retains and adds to the emotion of the original piece. One of the best piano arrangements of video game songs I've heard including the Final Fantasy Piano Collections. Um, can I get the sheet music anywhere?

I believe he has the full thing on his own site: http://klutz.vgmidi.com/portal.php .I'm definately going to practice this masterpiece sometime.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Though I said a lot of bad things about his 'A World in Piano' mix, all of that still stands, but I'd like to say some different things about this mix.

This is probably my favorite of kLuTz's work, and there's something about the 600 A.D. theme that just clicks with his style. Though it includes a lot of what I didn't like in 'A World in Piano', like I said, his methods just seemed to go better with this track. Where the generic styles of his other songs seem to lead them to failure in my eyes, there's something about this that just.. works. It's probably the first of his mixes that I feel go beyond the source material, and maybe even the first to really be emotional. Though it doesn't do much to go progress from the original song, everything added in that used to just be put in there for further arrangement seems to emanate a better vibe for the song, whereas all that improv just led the other mixes to become too generic.

Though it is a great mix, kLuTz has yet to really take his talent a step further. He uses the same styles in every mix that he has on this site, and though it worked for this one, I'd like to see some new ground covered by this talented pianist.

• 2 weeks later...

First post, but I've played Chrono Trigger avidly since it's release....I just find the fluidness of the music in parallel to the emotion as perfect...But as far as this piano piece is concerned, it offered what it said and way much more. I could tell he was totally feeling this as he played it, it's so innocent but resonant.

• 3 weeks later...

kLuTz: when i showed my father your music and he listened to it and he just sat in my couch and went WOW and he said you must be a professional and he loved the music and was amazed , and i hope you remember my two emails to you (my real name is Martin K R) and i made alittle mistake in the weekdays.

and yes Greg you make really great music

:-) thumps up i must say :-)

I'd like to say that I think kLuTz is the reason that solo piano does so well on this site as a whole, but in the innovation field, all his pieces are exactly the same. The only thing this one does that is different is the scherzo part that shows up early in the piece. Enjoyable to hear (very clear sample and production), but predictable if you've listened to any other kLuTz pieces.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 1 month later...

There are people who make Chrono Trigger sound boring, archaic and stale. And then there are people who make Chrono Trigger sound interesting, surprising and downright fine. A piano mix that doesn't disappear up its own behind is how I would describe '600 A.D. in Piano'. While there is a time and a place for insane piano hammering and avante-garde improvisation, I really appreciate the simplicity and attention to serving the source directly that kLuTz submitted here.

I personally prefer this over 'Town Life in Piano', mainly due to my personal preference of source melody, but needless to say I have a fondness for piano pieces that remake, redefine and recollect gaming memories without letting off creative fireworks to obstruct it all. There is a time and a place for all walks of music; simple, faithful piano pieces deserve their time in the spotlight once in a while. This mix is one of the best to start with.

• 8 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Maybe it's just because my musical taste is crap, but I was hoping to hear something over than the 'kLuTz Formula'. Very nice, soft, simple piano at the beginning that progresses to more complicated very quickly. Obviously not a lot of people are going to be fans of this, but it might be interesting to hear a mix from you that ditches this formula. As it is, I usually just listen to your otherwise amazing songs for the first 30 seconds or however long it takes to ditch the calmer parts.

And, I haven't heard your other songs so what I just said might be worth my musical taste: crap.

• 6 months later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR01040 - Chrono Trigger "600 A.D. in Piano"