What music/video streaming service should OCR use?

Liontamer

My concern lies with having to stream so much video content. OCR has a fairly small file size limit for submissions; this video exceeds it, even in low-quality mode.

If I'm going to give something a listen, instead of downloading an 8.7 meg video (unless I decide to stop early), I'd rather go ahead and download the mp3 file which is about 5 megs - I'll have it in high quality, if I like it, I'll already have it and won't have to do any more downloading, and if I don't like it, I can delete it no problem. While this isn't an issue for me at home, there are some people who (very frequently) browse the internet using mobile (cellular) connections that impose download (edit:) bandwidth limitations.

There are only two conveniences offered here: the UI/aesthetics (no need to leave the writeup page to hear the song) and that OCR is not wasting any of its bandwidth (or that of its mirrors).

tldr: Is an intricate video really the way to go?

My video's been tweaked, using an orange logo, and the HQ uploads are apparently successful.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4JmYDD86h-0

Barring any other suggestions for the video, whenever Larry/Dave decide it's go time, I'm ready. The description and the one annotation should be enough of a template to work with. I'll talk about the embed code later. As for uploading, the "ocremix" channel is a no-brainer for it, but apart from giving me temporary access, how would it be handled?

Larry and I are cool with giving you access.

Thoughts:

• I'd like something closer if not identical to the actual "OverClocked ReMix" official logo used (iomanoid.ttf)... okay to use shortened "OC ReMix" but I'd like it to look closer. Let me know if you need vector artwork.
  • I'm cool with the main headphones graphic being orange and glowing, but I'd rather the background be the same silvery tones the site uses, rather than blue. In other words, it's a bit too colorful, and I'd prefer it match the site aesthetic more closely.
  • In addition to the URL, I'm thinking maybe the video itself (non-annotation) could be more like a commercial... maybe mention 1600+ free mixes, talk about album releases, info about composers, interviews, mention the torrents, etc... trying to think of a way to incorporate more images/video rather than just the giant headphones. I think the headphones can carry MOST of the video, don't get me wrong, it'd just be nice to see some variation. Maybe even the site blurb, mission statement... just brainstorming here. Maybe even pictures of the old site, chronology, who knows...
  • Doing this in Vegas, or...? If it's Vegas, one more involved option might be scripting... Vegas is scriptable in .NET, and if we hooked you (or someone else w/ Vegas + .NET skills) up with a partial export of the database, you could actually autogenerate videos with content specific to each mix. That's probably a pipedream, though...

In general, yeah, scripting in .NET would probably slow us down too much. Having a really solid, aesthetically pleasing "infomercial" (sans host/talking) that has the mix playing, with the annotation covering the credits/details, seems best. If possible, I'd like to see the above suggestions explored. It'd also be good as a regular practice to link to both the mix page and the review thread, as suggested, to encourage feedback.

Thoughts?

Just adding to this, if it would be possible to use up most (if not all) of the horizontal space, that could look good, but feel free to experiment with the borders. I just think the side borders make it less interesting, so it'd be better to use all of the space.

Also, though some of the fastest ones are just too fast, I like the idea of the scrolling text. I'd just say use a non-generic font, but I love the idea.

In terms of informative tidbits for a general video, DrRZ1024 had the right approach in his video highlighting OC ReMixes by year:

http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=9EF1AD14608E9019 I'd love to brainstorm on what you think the best info to include is; I already have my own ideas, and I'm sure Dave has his prefs on what's very critical.

I'm liking the ReMix link right at the top of the description, and I'm thinking the ReMix information used in the annotations would be in the video description instead. It's a lot of text/info, but the video description provides plenty of room, so we ought to use it there. I think the proper credit is way too fleeting and not fair enough to the individual musicians if it's just in an annotation.

We'll figure out together how to standardize the video naming, descriptions and tags, but this is looking awesome, and I know it'll be a big help in spreading the word. José, Moguta & Soul, y'all have been a big help. When I started this thread, I was looking more along the lines of finding something that just streamed audio like Last.fm. However, I've wanted to use YouTube since it started, so figuring out how to do videos is going to be much more helpful in the long run. Thanks so much!

• 2 weeks later...
My concern lies with having to stream so much video content. OCR has a fairly small file size limit for submissions; this video exceeds it, even in low-quality mode.

If I'm going to give something a listen, instead of downloading an 8.7 meg video (unless I decide to stop early), I'd rather go ahead and download the mp3 file which is about 5 megs - I'll have it in high quality, if I like it, I'll already have it and won't have to do any more downloading, and if I don't like it, I can delete it no problem. While this isn't an issue for me at home, there are some people who (very frequently) browse the internet using mobile (cellular) connections that impose download (edit:) bandwidth limitations.

There are only two conveniences offered here: the UI/aesthetics (no need to leave the writeup page to hear the song) and that OCR is not wasting any of its bandwidth (or that of its mirrors).

tldr: Is an intricate video really the way to go?

Are you guys set on YouTube/Vimeo and other video-based solutions? When I saw the direction this thread was running I immediately thought of the same things that SoulinEther here pointed out.

IMO, bad things will happen if every remix's page starts streaming an HD video (which will occur if the video is embedded in the page). There'd have to be a way to surf the site without it automatically loading.

IMO, bad things will happen if every remix's page starts streaming an HD video (which will occur if the video is embedded in the page). There'd have to be a way to surf the site without it automatically loading.

I wanna say that embedded videos do not automatically start, so that shouldn't be a problem.

But something is to be said for one domain using so much bandwidth from Youtube. While I'm certain Youtube is aware of whether or not you're accessing a video from their site or from an embed, is it aware of what domain in particular an embedded video is being played from?

Would it even be an issue for Youtube, though? Would this just be a drop in the bucket?

I'm sure this is slightly obvious, but whichever video streaming site that you choose, make sure won't start removing the videos for some sort of copyright infringement once this gets to be a big thing.

Well... I'll be optimistic: I don't think it'll be a big deal... though, with regards to the constant bandwidth usage/monthly data usage issue, I wonder if it'll be used as an excuse to remove the videos, or something.

I wanna say that embedded videos do not automatically start, so that shouldn't be a problem.

It's not that they start - it's that they start to stream data on load, which would kill people who might want to surf on limited-bandwidth connections, especially if the music + video is actually larger than the 6MB file that OCR hosts.

I don't get the whole HD rationale in the first place though; if the file was simply meant as a preview for the whole song, why do you need to have a high-quality version on YouTube, and not a low quality one?

(edit: did another search and found something called "Houndbite" which allows 8MB files and embeds. I surfed the site a bit though and I don't know if it's a problem with the users or something, but random clicks around the site has revealed that a lot of it isn't very good content. If OCR put music up on this place we would rock the crap out of every other user of the site. But as Pixietricks said, it's hard to know if "small" places like this will stick around or if they'll suddenly disappear from the planet.)

DO you think it would be possible to speak with the folks at Newgrounds? They have an established audio portal, plus their own robust flash player.

The only issue I have with Newgrounds' setup is that it rebrands the MP3 tags. I'm not sure how it worked with the free downloads at Last.fm, but if Dave was cool with the tags being altered through uploading to Newgrounds, it's something we could do. I'd lean against it, no hate on Newgrounds.

• 1 year later...