Support OCR Month 2009 was a triumph!

big giant circles

$5000+/5000 raised!!!

FINAL UPDATE

DJP announced our success in the latest ReMix, but I'd like to mention that we actually raised MORE than double last year's amount. :)

Anyway, I would just like to formally say how grateful I am for the TREMENDOUS generosity that has been displayed here this year. I'm absolutely thrilled and touched to see the enormous support for this fantastic community, and the way we've given back to it in these financially gloomy times tells me that it's something that most of us consider a blessing and a gift. Pardon my over-the-top-cheesy-ness here, but I cherish so many experiences I've had that have occured directly because of OCR, and I'm so happy to see so many of you apparently feel the same way.

For those of you who did not donate, again, I think no less of you for that, but I do feel that you owe some thanks to everyone who donated this month--it's only fair. As DJP said, the donations ranged from $3 to $500. In my own humble opionion, if you're reading this, it would mean a lot if you were to take a moment and thank the people who contributed. (Well, besides myself. I'm not looking for thanks, all I want is the continuation of this site and community.) :)

Now then, April is over (or will be in a few hours depending on where you live.) Does this mean that we're good until next year? Well, I think it's safe to say that we shouldn't have to worry about the site going under for the next 12 months, but that does not mean donations are unnecessary or unwanted. Think of it this way. The more donations we get, the more opportunity the site has to grow EVEN MORE! Exciting things are always on the way, and plentiful funding ensures not only stability but growth! So if at any point in the next 12 months you find yourself particularly glad at the content we're offering, toss that extra $5 (or hey, $500 if you wish) towards the site. It's going to a good place, and good things will come of it, I promise.

Here's to another fantastic year. See you all next April!

Thanks to Binjovi for this awesome picture!

4TanSupportOCRsuccess.jpg

***OLD STUFF***

UPDATE

Taken from a post later in the thread:

We've had over 1200 registered users visit the site this month. We currently have about 50 people on the list. That's only 4% of this month's visitors donating.

Since last April, the site has had over 6,750 registered users visit. In other words, 0.71% of the site's visitors have shown their appreciation monetarily. While I want to make it clear that by no means do we expect any of you to pay for that which we strive to make freely available here, I can only look at the figures which tell me that each person on that list is making a sacrifice for 140+ other registered users to enjoy our site's awesome content.

Q: Hey BGC, why do you keep emphasizing registered users?

A: Because, that's not even counting the loads and loads of UNREGISTERED guests that pass through here and grab our content (over 93,000 unique hits from April 1 - 16th!) If any of you who are reading this happen to be an unregistered guest and think we have awesome content that we're working hard to make available to you, please consider making a small donation to help ensure our progress!

Ask yourselves, even in a poor economy (and considering all the time you've spent here or spent listening to the music here), would you really miss a mere $5 if you misplaced it? What if it was stolen? Would it bring you to your knees and bring your livelihood to ruin or utter hardship?

If you are being 100% honest with yourself, and you answered YES, then please, continue to enjoy our free content, and we are glad to provide it to you. And instead of money, please consider showing your appreciation by reviewing some of the great tracks on here and letting the ReMixers know you appreciate their fine work!

Otherwise, if you know that you truly could do just fine without that $5 that mysteriously vanished (and if I were to wager, then I'd be willing to bet that most of us fall into this category), then you know what to do. Don't let less than 1% of the people in this community make 100% of the sacrifice.

Be true to your school. The school of ReMix.

Last year, djpretzel mentioned in a write-up that “Sometimes, because of our content policy, our LLC status, the amount of content on the site, or any number of things, people mistakenly think that we're an actual business that has ample resources and makes money, etc. This is not the case - money from all our ads, shirt sales, and donations combined only barely breaks even these days due to the operational cost of hosting the site. In other words, we always need whatever help you can provide.”

The same holds true this year as well. Before I get right to it, however, I’d like to cover a few points. OverClocked ReMix has experienced some tremendous growth in the last year - I think it’s fair to say that none of the “old-timers” ever anticipated how popular it would become or the impact it would have on so many people on so many levels. With Super Street Fighter II Turbo HD Remix, we managed to make our way into a major video game franchise, we’ve gotten a lot of positive attention online and through events like Video Games Live, and we’re receiving an ever increasing number of submissions from both aspiring and renowned musicians from all over the world. Why does any of this matter? The larger the site grows, the more resources it takes to keep moving forward.

Many of you will remember that this time last year, I unofficially declared April to be “Support OCR Month”. It seemed appropriate, since the site was not only officially standing on its own two legs, but was growing rapidly, with the cost of things like bandwidth and hosting quickly outgrowing the limited funds generated from T-shirts, stickers, hoodies, and ads. Whether you've personally downloaded one or all of the remixes that are hosted here, enjoyed any of the album projects, made it to a meet-up or convention and had a blast, played a game online with friends you’ve made here, learned a skill you didn’t have before, improved a skill or ability, helped someone else in the same way, sit and spent minutes or hours and hours on the forums, or any combination of these things etc, that's all made possible by djp's continued work on the site and our ability to make such resources available. This year’s A1 gag was great, but it’s not entirely unrealistic—that is, the possibility of losing the battle to site operating costs and watching the site disappear. In fact, though we aren't quite in dire straits, we walk closer to that ledge than many people think.

As a member of the judges panel, I'd also like to address a concern we’ve seen increase over the past year. Those of you submitting music may have noticed that the process has become slower lately; this is a frustrating thing, and rightfully so. Let me officially say that this is not something that the staff has overlooked - we are thrilled with the growth we’ve had, but we also want to encourage that growth, not restrict it. We are not content to let our success in carrying out the core mission of “appreciating and promoting video game music” reach a plateau when it is capable of expanding further. The judges panel is going to commit to a higher level of accountability and productivity. The queue is scary sometimes, and the inbox even more so, but we realize that patience has been stretched with the amount of time it takes to submit and have new remixes posted. We now ask just a bit more as we reaffirm our commitment to ensure faster results as we are in this transition of continued growth. Things are only going to get better, not worse; that much we can promise. :)

I enjoy statistics, and shall thus provide some. As of now, April 2nd, we’ve had roughly 660 registered users visit this site since yesterday. If we assume that at any given point, there are twice as many unregistered users enjoying our content, that’s nearly 2,000 visitors in less than 2 days. If a mere fourth of those contributed a mere $5, that’s about $2500. Under the assumption that we’ll probably have quite a few more visitors by the end of the month, we ought to be able to generate a substantial amount of funds to support the site.

For those who are interested, last year we raised about $2400 for the site. This year, I’d like to double that goal. I think we should easily be able to raise $5000.

Here is a simple banner that you can put it in your sig and help spread the word!

supportOCRsig.jpg

Copy paste this next part: (but remember to take the spaces out of the , , and tags :)

Click below for more info![/ size]

p><p>A: Sure, we

Q: I don't have the money right this minute--can I contribute later?

A: Absolutely. If you post in this thread, I'll consider that a commitment. It's on your honor to actually pay if you say you will.

Q: Can I just buy an OCR shirt/hoodie/stickers

instead of donating?

A: Yes--every little bit helps. Donating, however, is the most direct way to help, since we only get a percentage of merchandise sales, but any support we can get is still very much appreciated.

Q: How much money have we raised so far?

A: We'll tell you when we're done. I will tell you if we break our $5k goal, though! :)

Q: I thought there were prizes involved.

A: There were, but Paypal deemed our offering prize incentives as part of this fund raiser as a form of gambling, which violates their TOS. So until further notice, and much to our own regret, there are no prizes being offered. Believe me, we are very, very sorry about this.

Q: I have questions that are not answered here. Who can I ask?

A: Feel free to PM me (big giant circles) and I'll do my best to get back to you in a timely fashion.

%7Boption%7Dhttp://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p238/biggiantcircles/1luvu.gif' alt='1luvu.gif'> PEOPLE WHO WILL/ALREADY HAVE CONTRIBUTED (__/6750+) 1luvu.gif

-1337 1

-Abadoss

-the prophet of mephisto

-djpretzel

-Brushfire2004

-FREAK55

-Kentarre

-Vivi22

-big giant circles

-linkspast

-Bahamut

-Jewbei

-Bleck

-Audix

-Orange Pylon

-Cecilff2

-crazy_dewmaster

-SoulinEther

-The Mutericator

-Shortmann

-BardicKnowledge

-Power Smoothie

-iskyoork

-pixietricks

-TheHands

-AnotherSoapOpera

-Moguta

-Harmony

-Shadow Wolf

-The Otaku

-D-Lux

-Jago

-JigginJon "The-Original-Mr.-5/4" Titterington

-Bart Klepka

-MaxFrost

-rAnDOm_rOguE

-phirro

-Majin GeoDooD

-HalcyonSpirit

-Dhsu

-DJ Mokram

-NinjaKirbysomething (he vanished before I could catch the end of it)

-Kizyr

-K.B.

-RagingWolf

-GeneralJehy

-Brushfire2004

-Eluros

-genesis_SOC

-Polo

-SirChadlyOC

-JadeAuto

-Cyril the Wolf

-Shaltif

-Dr_Graevling

-Neo Samus

-fil_razorback

-Fishy

-Wild Armor

-DJChAko(?)

-The R3venge

-abg

-jmr

-GRiM_BoB

-nesdude

-hobodactyl

-jatalu

-Torzelan

-ifirit

-Zephyr

-Gario

-SuperMod

-Majin GeoDooD

-ChloroPhil

-Global-Trance

-Dr.Flintlock

-Rexy

-Fratto

-many, many, many, many others who donated "anonymously" :)

Take over the interweb with us!

Facebook, Facebook Fans, Twitter, MySpace, YouTube, Last.fm, Orkut, Folding@home

There was some deal where if one bought music gear through a certain site and mentioned OCR, OCR got a cut.

I need VST instruments, and I figure that would be a very reasonable thing for OCR to try and find a deal on. If that happens, I'll set aside some time to browse the inventory.

edit: yes, this, I found the Amazon store. Is it only for inventory listed on the website?

There was some deal where if one bought music gear through a certain site and mentioned OCR, OCR got a cut.

I need VST instruments, and I figure that would be a very reasonable thing for OCR to try and find a deal on. If that happens, I'll set aside some time to browse the inventory.

Yep, if you shop Zzounds through our Zzounds link, that's a way to support!

Consider me in. Although living in Australia, you can probably count me out of the prizes; the shipping would likely be too expensive :< Still I'll contribute like last year, just let me see how much I can donate.

EDIT:

Alright, its coming, I've started it, and its just got to get cleared. You should have about US$100 within the week.

Also, I kinda forgot to add my username to the thing, can I pm the details to someone?

Yep, if you shop Zzounds through our Zzounds link, that's a way to support!

I'm getting a server interrupt error.

I'll try to find the link on the page itself, and I will certainly have a look.

If you'd care to do a little of my work for me, you could recommend for me a good strings VST, guitar VST, vocals VST, and piano VST. They do have demos, correct?

edit: mm, yes. The site store's link is giving me errors, too. I certainly want to go through a link that will benefit OCR. This is the slight push I need to justify purchasing more instruments than I already have to work with, at this point.

Consider me in. Although living in Australia, you can probably count me out of the prizes; the shipping would likely be too expensive :< Still I'll contribute like last year, just let me see how much I can donate.

EDIT:

Alright, its coming, I've started it, and its just got to get cleared. You should have about US$100 within the week.

Also, I kinda forgot to add my username to the thing, can I pm the details to someone?

You should be fine. Just PM me the email or whatever that you used.

Also, we'll ship it anywhere, regardless of the shipping cost :)

I believe last year I threw in $10, but in honour of trying to double the money raised this year I'll throw in at least $20. More may follow as the tax man has been fairly generous this year, but I can't promise anything as those funds may need to be appropriated for other purposes. I may even get around to buying a shirt (which I've been meaning to buy for the last two years or so).

I believe last year I threw in $10, but in honour of trying to double the money raised this year I'll throw in at least $20. More may follow as the tax man has been fairly generous this year, but I can't promise anything as those funds may need to be appropriated for other purposes. I may even get around to buying a shirt (which I've been meaning to buy for the last two years or so).

Man, that is like, more rad thank timbale licks; what a great attitude to have! Thanks for sharing that awesome perspective!

April has always had special significance in my life: it's my birth month. OCRemix has "given" me a lot by way of music, inspiration, mystifying my friends, witty and entertaining write-ups, etc. over the past two years - more than I could ever ask for in a simple birthday present.

So, in order to say thanks, I'll give instead of just receiving this year. I'm not sure how much I'll put down just yet, but I'm sure I'll be making use of the OCR Amazon store and buying a t-shirt (make sure you guys have these in stock!).

Like I did last year, I'll donate some money when I get all my bills paid and can figure out how much I could actually donate. Since I have more than half the songs on this site on my computer, I think it's pretty necessary I contribute in some way shape or form.