OCR01919 - Xenogears "When the Smoke Clears"

djpretzel

What can you really dig into this song about? It's so unfailingly straightforward and well-performed it may as well be impervious to criticism. Just when things start to feel samey at 2:25 in jumps the clarinet (I think, I suck at telling which woodwind is which), flute, and piano until an amazing close-out at 4:00.

In such a stripped-down song, a quality arrangement with impeccably tuned (and played) instruments are required, and this track absolutely nails those.

That's an Irish Whistle... I think that's what you're talking about, anyway :-P

I really have no words for this mix other than what I posted in the album review thread. Absolutely stellar and the story behind the mix only makes it better. This takes a lot of the ideas from "Destined for Greatness"'s first sections and puts them center stage for a mix that's emotionally engaging and very personal.

Amazing Adrian Legg-esque tone, and a great lead up to when the whistles and hand percussion come in. The whistle playing itself was beautiful and emotive, and i think really evokes not only the soundtrack itself, but the essence behind even that.

The one spot that sortof breaks the mood for me is the break in the middle. If only that harmonic had hung a little longer, it'd be perfect, but even so, this is a great mix. Nice work. :-D

Incredible Tauce. When I heard the quality of this track on the subway I had to pull my player out of my pocket to see who I was going to thank later... then to find out it was you... then to read the story...

Damn. I love this one a lot. Great real instruments, flawless execution... you're amazing dude.

Well done, worth every second of the effort.

I teach English in Japan and I live out in the countryside. I first heard this in the morning as I was doing the half-hour walk to school. As I walked along the winding road that went up hills and down into valleys this song came on my mp3 player. Perfect for a brisk Autumn morning walking sleepy country roads past houses where the kids are just leaving to go to school. When I listen to this I feel like everything is right in my world. I feel like I'm home.

I teach English in Japan and I live out in the countryside. I first heard this in the morning as I was doing the half-hour walk to school. As I walked along the winding road that went up hills and down into valleys this song came on my mp3 player. Perfect for a brisk Autumn morning walking sleepy country roads past houses where the kids are just leaving to go to school. When I listen to this I feel like everything is right in my world. I feel like I'm home.

Wow. This is almost exactly the idea I was trying to get accross in this mix. The feeling of being home, of being with family.

This comment absolutely made my day. Thank you!

I love this song. Sorry, I could say a lot of stuff, but it'd just all sound weird. I'll just say it brings back memories of living in the lower Alps in Switzerland six years ago. Some of the most interesting life experiences and lessons happened there during three-and-a-half months.

That's an Irish Whistle... I think that's what you're talking about, anyway :-P

I really have no words for this mix other than what I posted in the album review thread. Absolutely stellar and the story behind the mix only makes it better. This takes a lot of the ideas from "Destined for Greatness"'s first sections and puts them center stage for a mix that's emotionally engaging and very personal.

Missed this earlier.

I actually did this mix before "Destined for Greatness;" in fact, the reason I ended up doing "Destined for Greatness" in DADGAD tuning was because my guitar was already tuned that way from working on this track.

Finally downloaded the album last night and started to give it regular straight run-through, until I got to this song of course. I kept it on repeat from 1am to 3!! The emotions expressed in this song are very powerful.

Hats off to Jeremy for giving us this exceptional piece of music.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
Missed this earlier.

I actually did this mix before "Destined for Greatness;" in fact, the reason I ended up doing "Destined for Greatness" in DADGAD tuning was because my guitar was already tuned that way from working on this track.

:puppyeyes: Could you please, please, please provide a tab of this for the listeners who are guitar players?

• 5 weeks later...

Here are the chords (remember, it's in DADGAD tuning)

0x0200

0x0000

(repeat x 6)

5x0000

(repeat x 2)

4x0000

5x0000

5x0000

x02202

x24x00

4x0x00

5x0x00

x24x00

4x0x00

5x0000

x24x00

4x0x00

5x0x00

x24x00

5x0000

x02202

The fingering is all really simple, played finger style, and the lead is played on the bottom two strings.

It gets a little more complicated the second time through, where the guitar plays the bass notes as well, but I don't have the guitar playing the lead in that section (though it is doable).

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR01919 - Xenogears "When the Smoke Clears"