OC ReMix Panel @ MAGFest - Ideas?

djpretzel

I'm 100% behind the "Name That Remix" contest. For added fun, you can toss in some OLRemixes in the middle.

Absolutely right. The idea that people at magfest overall have a better idea about remixing in general than the populace at Otakon was my basis of the idea.

I'm 100% behind this one as well, on one condition:

the first person who says "more cowbell" gets thrown out.

That is all. KF

This thread has some great ideas. I am in favor of more of a production and how the pros/judges go about remixing approach. Name that remix is a hot idea. And I REALLY like the live judging process in any format.

If the judges dance, well we will call that a bonus.

Also what Kizyr said about Cowbell, only throw out every subsequent person too ;)

Absolutely right. The idea that people at magfest overall have a better idea about remixing in general than the populace at Otakon was my basis of the idea.

I was also thinking that it would be pre-judged (hence "Live"), or if you wanted to do more of a joke thing, make a joke mix, if someone wanted to whip something together. Mostly I was thinking that it would be something where someone could really see where the judges make the connections that they do, and how they would arrive at the decision they did.

I think it would be hilarious to have professional remixes judged to see if they are worthy of being on OCRemix, like tracks off of arranged albums and stuff.

It would be just for fun though.

I'm still for the dancing.

In all seriousness, though, I think the panel needs to cater a little to each crowd with the limited time available. Even though I'm sure the majority of people going have at least some knowledge of what OCR is and what's involved, it's always nice to have a refresher, especially if people attending are dragging along friends who aren't that familiar with it. I agree that more time should be spent on things that are of interest to people who are more familiar with the site but not necessarily familiar with all parts of it or the processes involved in those parts, as well as future expansions and improvements. I'm not sure what ideas have already been confirmed, but these are just what I would like to see and hear.

I like the "live judging" idea, though it really should be a mock judging of a song that's already been judged. Maybe pick a song from the last year and have three people judge it who weren't involved in the original judging to give it a quickie-job. In addition to that, possibly make that "live judged" song a mix by an mixer or mixers who will be present so they can give an overview of how they arrange the music, as well as their process of recording, mixing, all that jazz. That person would, of course, have to be comfortable with that new criticism and be prepared for it.

If anyone is present who is frequently reviewing on the WIP boards, they should have a chance to give some spotlight to the useful resources available there and also do a "version comparison" for a single song that has gone through multiple revisions on the WIP boards and was eventually accepted as an OCReMix. Make a quick audiofile consisting of an identifiable portion of the song and show, version after version, how it has changed and progressed to the final product.

Give one of the forum admins a couple seconds to talk about what they do, how often they do it, and other junk like that. That also would be a good time for DJP to announce any upcoming site/forum improvements that are planned.

That HUGE list of current and upcoming OCR projects. I'd enjoy hearing a few project directors give their experiences running current or completed projects (shouldn't just be Wes or Andrew :-P).

Other community events or activities that are associated with or include a presence of OCR, like meetups, the "This month is [blank] month" initiatives, and so on.

That's about all I can think of for suggestions from what I'd like to have happen, but yeah, a lot of time should definitely be for Q&A. Can't wait till New Years.

You forgot your *ahem*. :razz:

Oh, sorry! *AHEM!*

Lol but really, I only referenced that because Andrew and Wes are running and/or have run so many projects, plus they represent other facets of the site. I guess in the interest of amount of seats on the panel, you could use them to represent that section, but I'd like to hear from people like Taucer who aren't judges and admins ontop of people project directors. But that's just me, I love a large variety of things.

MOPS (Media Operations) is doing semi-official filming for magfest this year, which is just me and Kroze at this point. There's two hurdles to a live stream: One, the terrible hotel internet. Two (and I haven't dicussed this much with others yet, so this is just my opinion), I feel it 'cheapens' the event if people can just stay home and watch things online. We spend 11 1/2 months of the year trying to get more people to come to magfest.

We will be recording all the panel rooms this year and we have HD cameras available to float around to select events. It's my plan to spend most of January just going through all the footage we're going to get, last year's was over 80 hours and I just haven't had time to go through it all, this year will be different. I want to have a few videos turned around within a week and a steady stream after that.

So in short, there will be good video of the panel, don't worry about that, just remember to bug me (and Kroze) constantly about it after magfest.

Awesome, I know everyone is just going to want to interview me for hours and hours and hours and hours and hours!

Go drink more, drunkie.

I've always wondered what happened with all the footage from last year...and the year before...and the year before...and there was audio recordings from Mag4 that I was promised and never received! So many broken promises...

• 2 weeks later...

Why not just come over to my place, I have all the M7 footage and pieces of previous footages. The problem isn't that we don't have it, it's that we don't have the manpower to wade through it all. This year will be somewhat different, I'm planning on taking almost all of January to get the M8 footage cut and ready to roll, leaving the rest of the year to tackle the backlog.

I agree with Xerol on the streaming internet thing. If that could happen for Otakon or some other "big" convention like that, that'd be great, but for MAGFest, I think it's best to keep it simple, live, and drawing the crowd.

Also, Xerol, if you have an extra camera and tripod, I would be very happy to help film this panel. Let me know in advance please.

I agree with Xerol on the streaming internet thing. If that could happen for Otakon or some other "big" convention like that, that'd be great, but for MAGFest, I think it's best to keep it simple, live, and drawing the crowd.

Also, Xerol, if you have an extra camera and tripod, I would be very happy to help film this panel. Let me know in advance please.

I will be filming the panel in GLORIOUS HD.

This time I will bring my Tripod, so my arms dont feel like jelly after the Panel.