Thoughts for OC ReMix #2000

The Biznut

I was just listening to one of my favorite OverClocked ReMixes and started pondering where I would rank it in my top 10 list of OC ReMixes.

Then I wondered if anyone else would put it in their top 10 list.

That got me thinking about where the songs would rank if everyone ranked them.

That reminded me of the "top 1000 songs of all time" countdown one of the local radio stations did when we rolled into the year 2000. Everyone had the month to vote on the website for their top 10 all time favorite songs, votes were tallied and songs played in reverse order.

I'm not suggesting a 72 hour non stop listening party, but assuming OCRY2K doesn't cause the internet to end (maybe OCR2012?) I think it would be a good community event to vote for our top 10 favorite mixes and then tally up all the votes to see which mix is the all time number one favorite. Not only would it be fun, but it would be very honoring to some of the music and artists that have helped take this site to the forefront of the VGM remix scene.

In the end, I am really just SUPERDARN CURIOUS about what the number one ReMix would be. Its a bit exciting just to think about! The glory, the eminence! The...the prestige!!!

That is if people can even decide on ten favorites...

Something to think about.

Regardless, I am sure that David and Larry and co. will have something special in store for the release of OCR02000...

Treat it like 0AD - it never happened. Go from 1999 to 2001.

Then, tell fables of the missing ReMix - ReMix 2000, the legendary ReMix which, when played backwards at a slow speed, tells you the answer to the Ultimate Question: why do hot-dogs come in 12-packs and buns in 8-packs?

My bet's on a djp mix of epic proportions. Which is epic. Either that or a huge compilation of a host of epic ReMixers - ReMix 2000 is actually an album!

Treat it like 0AD - it never happened. Go from 1999 to 2001.

Then, tell fables of the missing ReMix - ReMix 2000, the legendary ReMix which, when played backwards at a slow speed, tells you the answer to the Ultimate Question: why do hot-dogs come in 12-packs and buns in 8-packs?

My bet's on a djp mix of epic proportions. Which is epic. Either that or a huge compilation of a host of epic ReMixers - ReMix 2000 is actually an album!

It should be more like a giant mega one hour long remix with every five minutes with a dif. remixer xD

So I'll link/talk about some semi-random songs, at least once a day leading up to the fabled #2000.

First up is zyko's Legend of Lightning Larry.

This game had some surprisingly good music - it also combined a ton of elements, side-scrolling shooter, adventure/RPG...this game had it all, and on the NES! This song came out a bit after the midway point of the site's life, so take a listen!

A little before then was this introduction to the madness that is Shnabubula

This was his second song on OCR (his first was also a Guardian Legend song, http://ocremix.org/remix/OCR01218/ ) - little did we know he would come up with a whole bunch of crazy stuff afterwards, like this DoD winning submission.

Please no vote stuff - that's akin to a favorites contest :-( . Could reminisce about songs though

Commence Reminiscing!

Where to start.

I thought Xtreme-G was one of the coolest games for the N64, simply because of it's soundtrack. I remember seeing the OST in a nintendo power magazine, and I looked EVERYWHERE for it, couldn't find it. I gave up, but would google it now and then. One day in 2004, a link came up to this OCReMix by someone called bLiNd.

I can't remember exactly, but I think I crapped my pants. It is one of the most significant remixes I have come across, and it got me Genuinely interested in what this site was about and what it had to offer.

To date it is the only Extreme-G OCReMix, something I plan to change.

Well, it would be a favorites, but not exactly a contest. Just a poll really. I totally understand the issues that would arise if a voting/ranking system were implemented permanently, for the reasons that have been covered in the FAQ (thanks for that link Larry). That would change everything.

A one shot poll though? I don't see the harm in that. OCR is represented by it's remixes, and everyone has a few that have been special to them, mentioning their top 10 in a thread or something wouldn't go against the principle that is being defended in that link. Reminiscing on those songs is 70% what I am after here.

The other 30% is my curiosity over which songs would be on the most top 10 favorites lists.

I think that a top ten (and why) thread of personally special or favorite OverClocked ReMixes would be informal enough to promote reminiscing without the negative aspects of an actual voting process.

Discussion = fine.

Just posting top x stuff is not cool for the site. Remember, favorites threads are not allowed.

And more songs!

This is another guy who some here may not know much about: http://ocremix.org/artist/4639/carbohydrom/remixes

He has lots of good stuff, and might be best known for this gem from DoD: http://dod.vgmix.com/past/sepoct05/CHM-LTTP-DoD-Unsealed.mp3

People should check out his site for some more goodies: http://www.carbohydrom.net/music.html

Someone of great influence and former judges, zircon shows potential here in his Disco Dan emulation for his first posted OCR song. Since then he has evolved as an artist and done lots of great stuff, including this, this, this, and plenty of others

Commence Reminiscing!

Where to start.

I thought Xtreme-G was one of the coolest games for the N64, simply because of it's soundtrack. I remember seeing the OST in a nintendo power magazine, and I looked EVERYWHERE for it, couldn't find it. I gave up, but would google it now and then. One day in 2004, a link came up to this OCReMix by someone called bLiNd.

I can't remember exactly, but I think I crapped my pants. It is one of the most significant remixes I have come across, and it got me Genuinely interested in what this site was about and what it had to offer.

To date it is the only Extreme-G OCReMix, something I plan to change.

that mix came out right around the time i started looking on this site, and since extreme g was one of my favorites on the system as well, i had approximately the same reaction. haroon's work and that mix are the two things that got me here and kept me here =)

The man behind OUS and one of the Bad Dudes, Mustin has done quite a lot for the VGM rearrangement community. It's hard to forget songs like these, and he has been involved in such classics posted here such as Team Gato. Who can also forget his middleman role in bringing djp and virt together at MAGFest 5 in a mending of big minds?

Give it up to Mustin!