Chrono Trigger: Chrono Symphonic - History

Claado Shou

Darkesword's Crono's Dream. I can't lie; it will have the Ocean Palace in there.

Uh...I think you mean "The Rising". "Crono's Dream" has Morning Sunlight and Peaceful Day as the themes. Also, Rellik's piece is entirely Undersea Palace (plus some GREAT rearrangement) and all that.

Also, when you said "Lucca's theme" above, Aurora Firestorm, which song off of the ST is that? There is no song named that. Also, "Revelation of Fire" uses The Hidden Truth/Singing Mountain, and "Lucca's Arrival" uses Far Off Promise/Battle with Magus. So if it's not one of those...sorry.

~.C.S.~

I guess it's about time you list what track covers what theme, Claado.

Don't WORRY...it's all taken care of. When StarZander gets the new site layout up and running (on the new server, BTW) then you all will see the plethora of info provided. And more than just source tunes, too...well, you'll see.

As for the songs with Schala, Tracks 16 and 19 both include Schala's Theme. It wasn't heavily used in the project, but Track 16 REALLY uses it, so...should be good.

~.C.S.~

"Lucca's Arrival", simply because it contains Battle with Magus. I'm a sucker for Magus' theme song. ^_^

About the mirrors, though... I want to be able to get the tracks to my friend so he can set up the mirror before the release. Is there going to be enough time before the release date for the mirror set-up?

Ah I can't decide (but I have to) which room (fingerprint/convolution) I will chose for the files. That's why I asked the mixers for "clean versions".

I'm still thinking about the following halls/recording environments. Thought of something like Sydney Opera Hall or something similar like the Atherton Auditorium from the Delta College in Stockton, CA. But that adds a too strongs and agressive reverb trail.

Hard to decide, but these are the halls I'm thinking off (and will test the next couple of hours):

SMA - Cello Studio - Los Angeles, CA
SMA - Todd-AO Scoring Stage, Los Angeles, CA

MED - 350 seat hall (don't know where it's from)
MED - Arts & Science Building, Utrecht Conservatory, Netherlands
MED - Clairmont Hall - Tel Aviv University Academy of Music, Israel
MED - Ingram Hall - Blair School of Music, Vanderbilt University, Nashville, TN
MED - Philips Hall, Netherlands
MED - Wisseloord Studios, Netherland

MED/BIG - Atherton Auditorium - Delta College, Stockton, CA
MED/BIG - Promenadikeskus Concert Hall, Pori, Finland
MED/BIG - Ryman Auditorium (Grand Ole Opry), Nashville Tennesse
MED/BIG - Stanforn Dinkelspiel Auditorium, Stanford University, CA

BIG - Amsterdam Concertgebouw, Netherlands
BIG - Vredenburg Hall, Utrecht, Netherlands

*BIG - Large Environment
*MED - Medium Size
*SMA - Small Size

Still hard to decide, ain't it? I'll keep you updated on what environment I actually used (I have some favourites, but nothing set yet). One thing's for sure... it will be "subtile", not full bled over everything. It still is a "digital produced soundtrack" after all. ;)

Okay, after a couple of testhearings I ran into big trouble. You know... a good hall/reverb is like finding the needle in hay. But sometimes the hay also stings. And this is my problem.

I narrowed it down to 6 Halls/Environments and I can't decide. Guess it'll be a close run. One reverb works good on the vocal tracks, but then it's too less on the other arrangements (even though reverbless some samplepacks like EWQL Silver, GIGA or Garritan have a prerecorded reverb). On some arrangements it sounds totally awesome, then it's piercing on the vocals and mud them up. *sigh*

Again... a long night, and I guess the next days will be made through or something like that.

Narrowed it down to these:

SMA - Todd-AO Scoring Stage, Los Angeles, CA

MED - Arts & Science Building, Utrecht Conservatory, Netherlands
MED - Philips Hall, Netherlands

MED/BIG - Atherton Auditorium - Delta College, Stockton, CA
MED/BIG - Promenadikeskus Concert Hall, Pori, Finland

BIG - Vredenburg Hall, Utrecht, Netherlands

*BIG - Large Environment
*MED - Medium Size
*SMA - Small Size

Like I said... hard to decide. I like all sounds, but in the end, it can only be one "hall".

BTW Rellik:

Everytime I read you name, I have to think of "Beneath the Surface" from Machinae Supremacy. But it's okay. Both are great tracks. One of it is just more... depressing and rock-like though. heh.

I came up with "Beneath the Surface". No, I've never heard either of those other songs named the same thing. And it's a great name for the song. Whatcha gonna do about it?

As for the themes used...well, I guess I can give you guys that small treat. The rest will be saved for later.

1) Inciting Incident - Presentiment, Chrono Trigger

2) Morning Sunlight - Morning Sunlight, Peaceful Day, Wind Scene, At The Bottom of Night

3) Blue Skies Over Guardia - Guardia Millennial Fair

4) To Lands Unknown - A Strange Happening, Magus' Castle

5) Darkness Dueling - Battle 1

6) Lucca's Arrival - Far Off Promise

7) Revelation of Fire - The Hidden Truth, Singing Mountain

8)Hymn of Valor - Courage and Pride, Wind Scene, Frog's Theme

9) Frog's Intervention - Frog's Theme

10) Denadoro Climb - Wind Scene

11) The Masamune - Frog's Theme

12) Darkest Omen - Black Dream

13) Confronting the Mystic - Battle with Magus, Lavos' Theme

14) Door to the End of Time - The Brink of Time, Frog’s Theme, Wind Scene, Lavos’ Theme, Peaceful Day

15) Manifest Destiny - Corridors of Time

16) Schala and the Queen - The Day the World Revived, Schala’s Theme, Corridors of Time, Battle with Magus, Last Battle

17) The Third Guru - Sealed Door, Wings That Cross Time

18) Beneath the Surface - Undersea Palace

19) The Rising - Undersea Palace, Battle with Magus, Schala's Theme

20) Crono's Dream - Morning Sunlight, Peaceful Day

21) The Chrono Trigger - At The Bottom of Night, Far Off Promise

22) A Parting of Ways - Battle with Magus

23) The Last Stand - Battle 1, Battle 2, Boss Battle 1, Boss Battle 2, Last Battle, Chrono Trigger

24) The New Beginning - Peaceful Day, Millennial Fair, Frog’s Theme, People Seized With Life (Chrono Cross), The Frozen Flame (Chrono Cross/Radical Dreamers)

25) To Far Away Times - To Far Away Times

That should whet your appetite, peeps.

~.C.S.~

Okay, after a couple of testhearings I ran into big trouble. You know... a good hall/reverb is like finding the needle in hay. But sometimes the hay also stings. And this is my problem.

I narrowed it down to 6 Halls/Environments and I can't decide. Guess it'll be a close run. One reverb works good on the vocal tracks, but then it's too less on the other arrangements (even though reverbless some samplepacks like EWQL Silver, GIGA or Garritan have a prerecorded reverb). On some arrangements it sounds totally awesome, then it's piercing on the vocals and mud them up. *sigh*

Again... a long night, and I guess the next days will be made through or something like that.

Narrowed it down to these:

-snip-

Like I said... hard to decide. I like all sounds, but in the end, it can only be one "hall".

Hmm, maybe I'm not sufficiently well-versed in audio engeering to understand why you can't have more than one hall, but I feel like using more than one would certainly take care of the problem of pre-recorded reverb on the instruments and the fact that you have vocals on only some tracks (I definitely have classical albums where the pieces were recorded in different places, particularly albums where there are different scale ensembles, like orchestra vs. string ensemble vs. chamber group).

However, if you definitely have to stick with one, maybe it would be better to stick with something more conservative (like a midsized one) to mitigate the adverse effects you're describing. Just a thought. Other than that, I defintely would like to see the one that gives you the best acoustics (i.e., a hall that was designed with symphonic music in mind). The university I go to has a performance hall that has exactly this problem -- its acoustics are terrible for a symphony orchestra as it's designed more for talks and addresses. On the other hand, the school my brother went to has a good music school and thus has a performance hall that sounds great when a symphony orchestra plays in it.

Just thought I'd share my two cents on the matter.

- Mike