Appreciation of VG Music 2: Game Boy

Capa Langley

Theme #2: Game Boy/Game Boy Color ONLY

What is needed:

• Link a stream or youtube video of your favorite original track that must correspond with the current theme. Not limited to just one.
  • Explain why you like the specific track. Don't just say you like it.
  • Some favorites will often be shared between more than one persons. This means someone else will likely post a track which you like. So instead post your 2nd favorite or so forth. No duplicates. The idea here is to spread as much different tracks as possible.
  • Or, you can post a track you've never really listened to before and write why it should be enjoyed.
  • Participation is key.

Previous sessions:

1. Battle Music

'

' from FFL2 (or Saga 2, if you're some kind of purist). There's just so much put into that song that's amazing.

Actually, there's a shitload of good music in that game (and the game knows it, too - they charge you to use a jukebox, in game, and it's worth every... gil invested), but I won't go into too much of it, 'cause I know others will want to contribute some FFL2 music to this page.

The

music from Donkey Kong Land.

The DKL soundtrack is a testament to the fact that you can make amazing and catchy music even with limited hardware specs.

I like this track in particular because I get it stuck in my head at least twice a month. David Wise and Graeme Norgate make some great music.

If I don't see any Shantae music in this thread I'll bite someone.

EDIT to reply to SubNormal J3's reply below: Oh yeah. :)

and the
(which was reused in the N64 game Blast Corps) were brilliant too.

YES! Game Boy! This will be fun...

Megaman: Dr. Wily's Revenge - This game's reused tracks are miles better than the NES counterparts, for starters (especially Cutman's). Second, some of the original tracksare incredibly catchy. But the

is the best track, definitely. One of the best credit themes I've heard.

(P.S: You americans sure had an ugly boxart...)

Mole Mania - An awesome obscure game, the game's cheery

is incredibly catchy.

(As a sidenote, the fact that this game did not make a single appearance in Brawl is criminal)

I'll post more as I remember them.

A lot of really talented demoscene guys found themselves composing for Game Boy games, so there are a ton of hidden gems with great music. Project S-11, by Jonne Valtonen and Aleksi Eeben, is one of the most technically ridiculous GB soundtracks ever. Absolutely insane sound chip manipulation from start to finish.

The

, is my favorite track of the lot. I love the aggressive, driving tone; it's impossible to listen to it and not feel like you're flying at 500 miles per hour and blowing everything out of the sky. And hearing the melodic climax is like getting socked in the face by a professional boxer every single time.

I will get the obvious out of the way right now:

Ballad of the Windfish

Finding your sword- link can't be found... what happened to all the OSTs of this game being up on youtube?

Not so obvious:

Guard Daos Battle- Lufia The Legend Returns

Erim, Sinistral of Death- Lufia The Legend Returns

As long as I am on the internet, I will continue to pimp out the Lufia TLR soundtrack until you schmoes do a remix album!

Link's Awakening was the first OST that really made me connect on an emotional level to the game. It's also in my eyes one of the most technically stunning OSTs I've heard on a GB. It's just good and should be one of the high standards of the darn system. The fact that the game's OST is apparently missing on youtube (likely with the loss of SilvaGunner) is a real blow to listening to great game music easily.

Chai kingdom is just a personal fav. It captures the area well, is catchy, simplistic, and simply fun.

And Lufia 3 is one of the best OSTs I've heard on the GBC in recent times- it really amazes me how well-made these songs are. The way they recapture the SNES songs like The Fortress of Doom, For the Savior, and a few others is impressive in its own right- the guys who did the music could work around the limitations of the system and make something amazing.

Donkey Kong 94 - The

against DK, which is surprisingly epic and complex, considering the rest of the soundtrack

Pokémon TCG -

. The game may seem silly for some, but the soundtrack should be appreciated.

Pokémon Red/Blue - There's plenty to choose from:

-The

;

-The

;

-

;

-

;

-

Pokémon Gold/Silver - Likewise, the soundtrack is incredible:

-The

theme. Incredible remix;

-Also, the

battle theme;

-

The Pokémon games have plenty more, though.

A lot of really talented demoscene guys found themselves composing for Game Boy games, so there are a ton of hidden gems with great music. Project S-11, by Jonne Valtonen and Aleksi Eeben, is one of the most technically ridiculous GB soundtracks ever. Absolutely insane sound chip manipulation from start to finish.

Wheeeeeee, Aleksi!! gotta check that one out. His recent stuff is so awesome.

This immediately comes to mind :D

Volley Fire (GB) :

and some type of

This song is so catchy I kept wanting to play it in my head over and over after having played the game over at a friend's place. I kept forgetting how the song went, but then I'd remember and woohoo! Party in my head :)

I appreciate it for its great melody.

This is the craziest song I've ever heard in an actual gameboy game as far as use of the soundchip.

http://www.biglionmusic.com/content/drymouth_-_blitz.mp3

it's from a game called "drymouth"

sounds like lsdj really. but before that came along, hardly any composer bothered to do this crazy wave channel stuff (which has become kind of a standard by now). so yeah, this definitely was ahead of its time.