OCR00514 - Super Mario Bros. 2 "Underground Riddims"

orkybash

Super Mario Bros. 2 'Underground Riddims'

I know a lot of people who were driven insane by the SMB2 underground theme, so if that describes you then skip this. Otherwise, prepare yourself for some classic McVaffe groovage. Highlight is the sitar solo in the middle, which is totally unexpected but totally fits in as well. Plus, you gotta respect a guy who can make something worthwhile out of such a short theme. Recommended.

• 4 months later...

This mix starts out with a downbeat, jazzy tune, followed in a little bit with great piano and strings. This mix should probably be described as 'swingin'. I must say, McVaffe has done great things with this one. The sitar is especially awesome, and somehow manages to fit surprisingly well. All in all, a very neat melody and a great improvement. You should listen to all the way through at least once, even if the style isn't your thing.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I've downloaded a lot of McVaffe's stuff here, and I generally kinda like McVaffe's remixes on here, but didn't find them that great. But this one... WOW.

Maybe I'm just a weird person that loved the SMB2 underground theme. I did... as repetive as it was, it was still mysterious sounding and really got me into the mood of this game.

I listened to this, and it bugged me at first 'cause the initial chords weren't exactly the same, but once the piano came in, I was like "cool" and then the violins came in and just blew me away. I never imagined violins there but they were perfect. And yes, the sitar was very cool... also added to the mysteriousness of the track. This would fit perfect in a game or just to groove to. I think even those that hated the original theme might like this. Gotta hand it to McVaffe for taking 10 seconds of music and turning it into almost 3 minutes of awesome sound.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Ahh, this such a laidback and easy to listen to song. I remember digging down through the pyramids to this beat almost too well. The repetitive nature of the song doesn't even bother me thanks to the way McVaffe smoothed everything out. Good work, man. [Relaxes]

• 1 year later...

I think this one was removed or something, but if you can find it, check it out. This theme has always been one of my favourites from the Mario games and I arrange it any chance I get. McVaffe lays it down nice and simple here. Great percussion, good sounds, clean production and just typical McVaffe-goodness.

A good arrangement of one of my favourites. If you liked the Super Mario Bros. 2 music, check this out.

• 3 weeks later...

Considering how repetative the source is, I was a bit nervous listening, but this mix really creates the perfect mood and keeps it fresh. The percussion is fantastic, and the strings sound perfectly smooth. Just when the piano theme gets to be too much, it drops out and we are treated to a little sitar solo.

Overall its a good mix, but repeated listens are completely out of the question because of the source. It just starts grating after 2-3 listens in a row. :/

• 2 years later...
  • 1 month later...

This is one of those source tunes that seems to be made with remixing in mind. Short, distinct and ultra-flexible.

I like that McVaffe hasn't messed with the tune's simplicity all that much, but rather made it much more structured and easier on the ears. Gone is the grungy, wonky sensibilities of the original and replaced with some very pleasant strings and piano. The sitar brings in that world influence and some much desired expansion on the short theme.

In all, I don't think this is anything earth-shattering, however for a source that has a lot of cool ideas but in a less than ideal form, this mix is just what was called for. +1 point for McVaffe.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

A bit too short and it sounds like it could have been expanded at the end, but it works for me. The intro and the beginning piano are gold. The sitar is probably the best part. This mix would work in a street market in the more eastern countries IMO. Like I said, short, but recommended.

• 7 months later...
  • 3 years later...

Very chill vibe here, I really like the piano and percussion gives the source music a new feel. Seems like Mario is just sipping some coffee and reading the newspaper at a Wall Street cafe. But that fadeout ending leaves you wanting more. It could have wrapped up some other way when the energy was just starting to build up.

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR00514 - Super Mario Bros. 2 "Underground Riddims"