Nintendo will stop at nothing to own the world.

Brushfire

The only thing that surprised me when I saw this earlier today was that it took so long. Not especially extraordinary considering the industry climate, and I think that many of the comments on the link you provided are way too sensationalistic and over the top (someone refusing to buy their child this game over this? Sigh).

On the other hand, I do love how Retro tried to spin this as an exciting development and as a show of respect from Nintendo towards their newest revival:

http://retrostudios.com/news.asp

Regardless, can't wait for the game ... over 70 levels and aquatic ambience remix :D

The only thing that surprised me when I saw this earlier today was that it took so long. Not especially extraordinary considering the industry climate, and I think that many of the comments on the link you provided are way too sensationalistic and over the top (someone refusing to buy their child this game over this? Sigh).

On the other hand, I do love how Retro tried to spin this as an exciting development and as a show of respect from Nintendo towards their newest revival:

http://retrostudios.com/news.asp

Regardless, can't wait for the game ... over 70 levels and aquatic ambience remix :D

Waitwaitwaitwaitwait... Someone said that for real? Holy shit. I thought CNN was sposed to filter stupidity.

Wow you weren't kidding! That guy really did say that.

I should just become a hermit, and steer clear of the irrational anger folks bring me on the internet.

Next Fox News will tell us that Barack Obama spoke with Nintendo to try and get them to help with Donkey Kong Socialization of phrases.

Or MSNBC saying that Glorious Leader Barack Obama will be saving the world with DK based hope.

Technically, they're trying to trademark the phrase, not copyright it.

A trademark is defined by the Lanham Act, 15 U.S.C. 1127, as "any word, name, symbol, or device, or any combination thereof (1) used by a person, or (2) which a person has a bona fide intention to use in commerce and applies to a register on the principal register established by [the law] to identify and distinguish his or her goods . . . from those manufactured or sold by others and to indicate the source of the goods . . . ."

The mark must be something that is (a) arbitrary or fanciful (e.g., Apple for computer products), (B) suggestive (Roach Motel), © Descriptive (Yellow Pages). If it is generic, it cannot be a trademark.

The question that Nintendo will have to deal with is which category the phrase falls into, specifically whether its usage has rendered it generic, and thus not subject to trademark.

That's because only people in the US say stupid phrases like this.

I've heard it used here and there and it isn't a stupid phrase. Used in the right situation it can be fucking hilarious.

I would be shocked if Nintendo actually thinks they can win this. It seems like it would be beneficial for them if people use it in the media and pop culture. Sorta like free advertising.

I feel like the real outcome of this will be hilarious news clips of news anchors saying "It's on like Donkey Kong" in that questioning tone they use when stating a really out of sync pop culture reference that that don't understand at all.

Unfortunately, she is too familiar with the term to be awkward with using the phrase.