OCR02166 - Ninja Gaiden "The Night of Lukifell"

djpretzel

Something feels off about the violin -- I can't place it right now. It definitely isn't enough of an issue to detract from the fact that this track is totally badass. Like the judges, I love the middle section, which gives us a break from the drums, preventing them from becoming monotonous and instead maintaining the intensity during the sections we do hear them.

I love the "music box" effect of opening and closing with only the bells. It's as if we're being asked to remember how awesome we felt as we originally played the game.

Great mix of a great track -- I'm looking forward to your other tracks forthcoming this year!

Holy crap. This is something cool. One of my favorite things about OCR is that when I'm really having a crappy day, you guys go and post some gold like this.

Not much to say other than I love this mix, love the sound and atmosphere. This makes me want take my NES back from my friend and play through that hell-on-earth game. Great job.

Something feels off about the violin -- I can't place it right now. It definitely isn't enough of an issue to detract from the fact that this track is totally badass.

Anyone that plays a classical instrument, specifically a bowed instrument would notice as well. It's the way the notes change, plus the notes themselves. There are slides and accents but imo it's not really possible to recreate an indistinguishable violin sound on a synth. Or any other bowed instrument really. There are too many bowing techniques, too many sound impurities created by an actual string and horse hair. Pressure and sound differences at the tip and frog of a bow. The changing of the bow direction itself, often makes a noticeable change in the sound. It's not just notes. Also the slide doesn't actually sound like what a slide sounds like on a violin. Vurez definitely gives the synth some personality. The slides help with the ethnic like feel of the remix. And the accents help with the military like nature that the drums are portraying. It's a good mix. For me a synth violin bothers my ears but I still like it as a remix. Creative, interesting, good sound quality. Good stuff really. ^_^

Here's some violin if anyone wants to hear what I'm going on about. You'll probably notice how there's a sound difference between when notes are slurred and played separate.

I simply love the bells in the opening. When that violin kicks in, I get chills! Very impressive work. I am not familiar with the source material unfortunately, but I usually enjoy Ninja Gaiden mixes. At this point, I've gotta say that this one is my favorite! =)

• 1 month later...

Holy hell! This is ridiculously awesome. I loved Ninja Gaiden as a kid and the music is really catchy. I have been working through different games on the site and had kind of low expectations of the game getting remix attention, and what they would be like.

But this is seriously as good as it gets right here. With the amazing violin throughout keeping the original melody going. Then transitions into guitar. It sounds like it would be on a Ninja Gaiden movie soundtrack.

• 1 year later...
  • 6 months later...

The intro and outro with the bells....that was pretty damn cool. And the strings and dramatic feeling in between was pretty sweet as well. The crisp guitar, military drums and violin gave it a "purposeful march" kind of sound and I really enjoyed that. It really makes me want to go play Ninja Gaiden now. Another win for Vurez!

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR02166 - Ninja Gaiden "The Night of Lukifell"