OCR02194 - Pokémon Red Version "Battle for the Badge"

djpretzel

I think the programmed bass is way too obvious, and the drums could have used more velocity variation in the cymbals. It sounds dated compared to what you'd hear from the mighty Fish these days, but still a cool song

Couldn't agree more.

Especially compared to Omnislash, which BLEW MY MIND when I first heard it.

Now fishy is like , Really obvious programmed bass that doesn't sound as good as the Pgmd Bs in OS, and really cheap sounding guitars and drums. It's missing lush and full color in the song until 2:20. And then bottom end is out with the synths finally adding some nice flavor, which just freakin turns the tables around

And production quality on "Game on" anything but the Gb synth is mediocre.

Edited by BONKERS

I really like this mix.

I was really hoping for an arrangement of the FR/LG arrangement, because IMO that just kicks more butt in every single way possible. But it's pretty much the same, overall. And this kicks more butt than both versions.

It's not my favorite from Fishy, (when it comes to his straight up rawk mixes, I still prefer "Who's That Child"), but this pleases me as a big time fan of the source. The ending section with all the synths really brings this song to an awesome close.

Rock on!

Couldn't agree more.

Especially compared to Omnislash, which BLEW MY MIND when I first heard it.

Now fishy is like , Really obvious programmed bass that doesn't sound as good as the Pgmd Bs in OS, and really cheap sounding guitars and drums. It's missing lush and full color in the song until 2:20. And then bottom end is out with the synths finally adding some nice flavor, which just freakin turns the tables around

And production quality on "Game on" anything but the Gb synth is mediocre.

Spoken from the same guy who hated http://ocremix.org/remix/OCR01317/ - I've learned to ignore this guy. :lol:

Older mix is old. It's an oldie but goodie!

I think this mix has flaws that most other mixes get NO'd for today... A re-vote considering the age may have been good to make sure the song was up to quality standards. It's a good arrangement and source and I know Fishy is still around, to let this go through with 2006-era production is a shame... I do think it's a good arrangement so don't get me wrong there

Spoken from the same guy who hated http://ocremix.org/remix/OCR01317/ - I've learned to ignore this guy.

Was that an inside joke or something? Hehe.. I didn't see the post in particular you might have been referencing :-(

I think this mix has flaws that most other mixes get NO'd for today... A re-vote considering the age may have been good to make sure the song was up to quality standards. It's a good arrangement and source and I know Fishy is still around, to let this go through with 2006-era production is a shame... I do think it's a good arrangement so don't get me wrong there

Was that an inside joke or something? Hehe.. I didn't see the post in particular you might have been referencing :-(

A re-vote? Why would you want a re-vote? if its passed, its passed. Besides, even by todays standards, this would probably pass.

It passed when it did, we know fishy can do better, but instead of saying "oh this could have been better if he'd done it with his skills today", think of it as showing how far he's come as an artist, and HOW MUCH HE KICKS YOUR ASS even when he'd just started :P

Ok so... the mix. I've had this for longer than most of you guys, and I can say that it stands the test of time well, its a keeper - i've still got it :D

Edited by WillRock

I'm not trying to be a jerk, i just think there's something fishy about this. I mean there's a leap of quality between even Battle of the Badge, and like Bonkers mentioned, Omnislash or Fishy's other tracks from FF7: VotL. That was in 2007 I think, he said this was from 2006 -- why not do a touch-up when he came across new sounds, instruments, or increased engineering skills? 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, and now the album is out in 2011. I'm just saying that's a hell of a lot of time to touch something up to make it better whether it passed in 2006 or not.. It's undeniable that the site's quality standards have risen a lot since 2007. You say something like this would pass but more refined songs than this get NO'd all the time. I once was told by a project director who asked a judge that they didn't like a spot in our song because there was a SINGLE crash cymbal missing in a live drum performance. So I had to put a programmed crash on top and mix it in, send the WAV back to the audio engineer to have it mastered again, just for a single crash... I'm just saying times have changed, either that or some people get it rougher than others when it comes to the joojin'. I'm just making some observations, I could be wrong, and I'm not trying to provoke anyone, I'm just saying it as I see it.. If I'm wrong you can let me know but try to keep it civil, haha.. I mean no ill will towards anyone, I love Fishy and his music and I'm glad his song is on the site whether it's as good as he could do in 2007 or not. The short and skinny of it is the project was in development for 4 years, probably 3 years longer than necessary (I meant quantity wise), some stuff sounds a bit dated. It's cool to hear their progression as musicians between then and now, it's just weird hearing their 'then' released 'now' so much later. :-P

Edited by Brandon Strader

Every single time a person questions the judges panel with votes like this, its basically spitting in the face of the hard work these people do, and questioning their qualifications to do what they do best.

Shut the fuck up, Brandon.

Fishy, this shows that you rocked hardcore back then, and only got better with time as you began to hone your skills. Great job.

For the record Brandon, I offered several times to re-do this and people insisted I leave it as it was my first mix.

It's incredibly obvious to everyone I can do better now. Do you want us to go and revote on everything everyone who 'can do better now' ever submitted? The only difference for this mix is that because it was project, it didn't get posted immediately.

This policy will never change because it's impossible to periodically revote on everything, rendering this discussion pointless. End of story please everyone, thanks.

Keep this crap out of a damn review thread. If you want to go on a rant about the judging standards, feel free to make a thread in Community. It has no place in a thread on the song itself though and the artist has nothing to do with it.

As for the song itself, it does sound dated a bit production-wise, but that's not too surprising considering it's 4-5 years old. I like it though, a mix of the much loved gym leader battle song from Red/Blue!

So like, the arrangement is really good. The live instrumentation is well played. Transitions are good, no part sticks out like a sore thumb from one to the next.

I hope there's always a place for a good arrangement/performance. After all, The 6th track on Nevermind was recorded on a 2nd hand acoustic guitar held in tune by duct tape.

It's a shame about the furore since I've seen a couple great decisions that have picked out some amazing 'lo-fi' remixes.

http://ocremix.org/remix/OCR01991/ is another fine example.

Hey fishy, if this was your first mix , then you've had Plenty of time to re-record it and not make it sound like poop.

No excuses man.

Voices was released almost 4 years ago. That's plenty of time if you did this song before that.

And Level 99, It doesn't matter how hard anyone works on anything, if the end product sucks. It sucks. And if the judges are inconsistent and do terrible judging work of what "is" and what "isn't" good enough. Then that's what it is. It's not the first time.

The SAME standards for Rock tracks should be held the same as all the electronic songs and acoustic songs.

There is 0 reason for the production quality to be this low on any of the rock songs i've heard on this album.

Which is all of them. Especially this song considering who made it.

So, personally, i'm just going to delete all of the rock songs and keep everything else because there is a HUGE discrepancy in quality between these.

Edited by BONKERS

Would you mind not ranting at the judges in this thread? kthx

For the record, I would take this remix over my Voices one any day. Yes the bass sequencing is mechanical. Yes the drums are not the best.

However, the guitars (in both tone and performance) are easily still better then most of my modern stuff. That tapping stuff is sick, I can barely play it now. The arrangement just feels fun; it feels like I can hear myself enjoying the pokemon games all over this. So can the 80-something all positive responses I've gotten from YT people so far. I would rather have a fun and sincere arrangement with slightly dodgy production, then a boring arrangement of any quality.

If you're gonna rant about this being 'poop', I insist you go and do the same for my Voices mix. I hold them with the same regard.

Hey fishy, if this was your first mix , then you've had Plenty of time to re-record it and not make it sound like poop.

No excuses man.

Voices was released almost 4 years ago. That's plenty of time if you did this song before that.

And Level 99, It doesn't matter how hard anyone works on anything, if the end product sucks. It sucks. And if the judges are inconsistent and do terrible judging work of what "is" and what "isn't" good enough. Then that's what it is. It's not the first time.

The SAME standards for Rock tracks should be held the same as all the electronic songs and acoustic songs.

There is 0 reason for the production quality to be this low on any of the rock songs i've heard on this album.

Which is all of them. Especially this song considering who made it.

So, personally, i'm just going to delete all of the rock songs and keep everything else because there is a HUGE discrepancy in quality between these.

Some people think the only way they can communicate a point is by being a douchebag about it. :lol:

As it stands, we judge a track with the standards at the time it was submitted, and we have no need to re-judge things, especially because the standards aren't even markedly different than 2007. And there's no law saying he needs to re-record it, especially just because you're anal-retentive.

We don't have a double standard about genres, and while you can claim whatever you want, you're still a derp for suggesting that. As always, production's important, but arrangement is important as well, and there's a balance involved. This mix should be shinier and all that, but that doesn't preclude it from getting passed if the arrangement is very strong and creative, e.g. http://ocremix.org/remix/OCR01221/

I honestly have no idea what everyone is complaining about. This would pass now, it is still an excellent song. The arrangement is fantastic and while perhaps not as sparkly sparkly vampire as some of his newer stuff, the production is great. Awesome guitar playing, creative drum sequencing, what more do you want? Like Will I've STILL got this in my playlist from when I joined the project.

Jeez, next you'll be trippin' up in halc's grille with "wtf y r u usin' such lo-fi soundz bro, it's nawt the 80's lololo0lololo0l"

Jeez, next you'll be trippin' up in halc's grille with "wtf y r u usin' such lo-fi soundz bro, it's nawt the 80's lololo0lololo0l"

Lies. :-o

What it basically all comes down to is a difference of opinion where the production is concerned. It was regrettable to say it should get a recount, but what I meant to say was, I don't believe tracks should wait on the panel for so many years. I don't think that's so unreasonable of an idea and I think some of the opinions concerning the production are valid and in the very least should be respected, even if you don't agree. Everyone's entitled to their taste in music + their opinion. I don't think anyone should hold a grudge over this difference of opinion. After all, djp always says "What did you think? Post your opinion of this ReMix."

And like I've said this is a fantastic arrangement and the song itself is really great. If nothing else, please respect and acknowledge that portion of my opinion. Thank you. :-)

...psssst.... bonkers... no more flamering... :D

Shut the fuck up, Brandon.

Come on guy, you're representing OCR Staff now.. there's no need for such hostility.

Edited by Brandon Strader

Definitely a fun track! Takes me back to the first gym on pokemon red...good times. Except for better than the video game music back then for sure. Maintains the older feel while still being new, which I think is the purpose of any good game remix.

^^That's how you post your opinion on the remix (AKA relevant subject to this thread), everyone. <<That is not. Meaning I'll probably regret this when it's quoted and the bickering continues.

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR02194 - Pokémon Red Version "Battle for the Badge"