VGDJ: The Official OCR Podcast

Rayza

What's with the new name, Jill? Sola? What's it mean? Why did you change it? What was wrong with pixietricks? So. Many. Questions.

You should hang out in #vgdj. I talked to her about it in there... Since she's so busy these days, I'll try and answer what I can.

What's with the new name, Jill?

She changed her name.

Sola?

Yes, Sola.

What's it mean?

Upon trying to discover it's lingual origin through Babelfish, I have discovered that Sola:

-is both Spanish & Italian for 'Single' (which she's not) and Portuguese for 'Sole'.

Answers.com's Firefox Extension also lead me to discover that Sola:

-is a municipality in the county of Rogaland, Norway.

...which then lead me to the disambiguation in Wikipedia which told me that Sola:

-is Latin (feminine) for 'only' or 'just', and is used in phrases such as sola fide, sola gratia or sola scriptura

-is an Indian swamp plant with pithy stems

-and is a city on Vanua Lava, Vanuatu, and is the capital of Torba Province.

But what she TOLD me was that it means: "Sun".

Must be in some language that the Internet has not allowed me flawed yet instant access to, ie: Jill's made-up space language.

Why did you change it?

She wanted a name that sounded a little more official and professional. Since she is frequently involved with Opera she felt, and I have to agree, that the new name strikes a more womanly and operatic feel.

What was wrong with pixietricks?

She was never very attached to this name to begin with; I seem to remember in the recent past VGDJs her mentioning how she chose the nickname in a bit of a haste originally, and she may have even polled some people around #vgdj for some suggestions around when she was nearly ready to lose the alias. Pixietricks, I remember hearing, sounds a lot more juvenille to her.

I don't know about this "Sola" buisness, but Sol is Latin for the personification of the Sun. Sola is probably the female version or somesuch - Latin is one of languages where the endings change depending on whether the noun is male or female, or the subject or object of a sentence.

Upon trying to discover it's lingual origin through Babelfish, I have discovered that Sola:

-is both Spanish & Italian for 'Single' (which she's not) and Portuguese for 'Sole'.

"Sol o/a" is also used in Spanish to mean "alone" and "lonely". "Sola" is the feminine form and "solo" is the male form. "Sólo" (with an accent on the first o) means "only".

I don't know about this "Sola" buisness, but Sol is Latin for the personification of the Sun. Sola is probably the female version or somesuch - Latin is one of languages where the endings change depending on whether the noun is male or female, or the subject or object of a sentence.

"Sol" means "sun" in Spanish, but "sol" is exclusively masculine. In Spanish the endings also change according to gender (because it's a Romance language), such as "profesor"/"profesora" ("teacher", male/female forms respectively).

Hehe, thanks, LAOS. Those were more hypothetical questions than anything else. I do remember pixietricks mentioning on some episode, maybe the Game Music Radio interview, that she didn't like her name that much. I personally prefer pixietricks, but I'm sure I'll get used to Sola.

BTW, you forgot to mention Voting in your little Halloween message. I only remembered to do my part just now.

Wow. I spend the weekend out of town and have a busy 1st half of the week and so much happens...

Apparently the name has been changed back now--at least on the forums?

I have discovered that Sola:

WHA?? :dstrbd:

... :nicework:

She should do like in "That Thing you Do" and have a disclaimer in her sig or something: "Careful, boys, she's taken."

Anyway, I'm surprised you guys forgot to mention that So and La are musical tones. You know, "So; a needle pulling thread / La; a note to follow So?"

Hmm.. the 5th & 6th notes of a scale... That's the 2nd half... But before things start to get exciting with "Ti" and approaching the finish...

Sorry, I got nothing.

Why did you change it?

She wanted a name that sounded a little more official and professional. Since she is frequently involved with Opera she felt, and I have to agree, that the new name strikes a more womanly and operatic feel.

Pixietricks, I remember hearing, sounds a lot more juvenille to her.

So, so... no more mischievousness? :puppyeyes:

It's actually "sol," not "so." Everyone thinks it's so, though... probably because of the actors' accents in The Sound of Music. :D Anywho, I think I'm gonna stick to pixietricks after all, at least until I can find something that really clicks. And even if I find something new, that doesn't mean my personality's gonna change with it. Soooooooo, yeah...

back to votin'!

:)!!

It's actually "sol," not "so." Everyone thinks it's so, though... probably because of the actors' accents in The Sound of Music. :D

Really? I always though they each had 2 letters: Do Re Mi Fa So La Ti.

Many a children's keyboard has taught me wrong, oh noes! :o