Private albums will still publicly announce game(s) being worked on

djpretzel

For the two projects in question that were started without knowledge of existing projects, it's not really a huge downer - both FF6 and Banjo can easily support two albums, in my opinion, if that's the ultimate direction those projects want to take.

Directors that want to run private projects, hand-pick artists, set standards, set tone, set the art direction, restrict genre, or assert any number of other aspects of control should be free to do so. I think those freedoms BELONG at the project director level, as they are the individuals who are committing themselves to doing the coordination work and making the album happen in the first place. Ideologically, you could discus the merits of public vs. private approaches, and perhaps you strongly favor one over the other, and that's fine, but as long as you agree that it should be up to the director & respect his/her decision and their ability to make it, I think we're all good. When you start complaining about elitism, the implication is that we should outlaw private projects or otherwise interfere with how directors want to run things, and to me that's more elitist & presumptuous than what you're trying to "fix".

Ultimately:

1. It's not about who makes the FIRST album for a given game on OCR
  2. It's not about who makes the BEST album for a given game (highly subjective)
  3. It's simply about making a great album that honors the game and its music

If you disagree with the first or second points, I'd personally question your motivations & fitness to direct a project; the third point is all that matters.

So you would end up publishing both anyways ?

Yes, assuming both passed album evaluation. We would prefer not to release them back to back, but we'd work with both directors and try to make everyone happy. Like Honest Abe said, you can't please all of the people, all of the time, but that doesn't stop us from trying.

In your example, you only stated 2 OCR albums which were released uncontested by any other album on OCR

That's going under the assumption that both BK albums and both FF6 albums will be released as official OCR albums.

[EDIT: djp ninja'd me. D:]

And it's not like releasing an album separate from OCR makes it any less special or awesome; yeah, I guess there may be some prestige with the OCRA-00XX tagline, but if you're directing an album with that as your only motivation, then maybe you need to reconsider a few things.

djp said it best. It's simply about making a great album that honors the game and its music.

If it was a SOLO album, then SURE -- all the more power to it

This jogged my memory of the question that came to my mind on reading the original post: What ABOUT solo projects (i.e. things along the lines of Sonata of the Damned)? Will those be allowed to remain completely private, or will they have to have their game announced, as well? Just curious.

And I like this policy, a lot - for those of us who wait patiently for the release of albums, it gives us more to look forward to. ;-)

Yes, assuming both passed album evaluation. We would prefer not to release them back to back, but we'd work with both directors and try to make everyone happy. Like Honest Abe said, you can't please all of the people, all of the time, but that doesn't stop us from trying.

That's good to hear, I was looking forward to working on a BK project.

Very glad that people are mostly seeing that this policy is for the best. As for solo albums, that will have to be discussed since it is technically just another album and people should have the right to know someone/some people are working on it.

I don't think that's the case. If I'm working on a solo album, I don't think anyone really has a right to know about it. It's not like it's a community thing or a big collaborative thing. It's just me working on something by myself. It's not as if what I'm working on by myself has the potential to really clash up with something someone else is working on in any big way.

I don't think that's the case. If I'm working on a solo album, I don't think anyone really has a right to know about it. It's not like it's a community thing or a big collaborative thing. It's just me working on something by myself. It's not as if what I'm working on by myself has the potential to really clash up with something someone else is working on in any big way.

That's my view too. A personal album project is a personal album project. You're not getting the community involved, so there's little to no reason to inform the masses.

What if I'm also working on a solo album for the same thing? Not that that would be very likely, but I'm always in favor of more transparency vs. less transparency. I'm not saying, I'm just saying. Not gonna fight you over it.

As far as solo albums are concerned, I think it's up to the artist whether they want to disclose their album or not. However, they should keep in mind that if they decide to keep their projects secret, they shouldn't blame the staff or the other project's directors if there's a misunderstanding.

But then again, why would anyone want to keep their work completely to themselves? Is it really that awful if the community and people in general know that someone somewhere is doing some sort of musical tribute to a specific game in some undisclosed genre? I don't think that ruins the surprise. It adds mystery to it, and that's usually a good thing, isn't it?

I like this policy because it's always good to know what we can expect in the future, however I disagree that solo albums should be listed. It's a choice of the artist, and also I don't think that having two projects of the same source would hurt that much, mostly because they would both have unique styles which wouldn't clash that much with each other. In my opinion, it's okay to remix same things over and over, as long as enough diversity is maintained.

We hadn't thought as much about solo albums because it's been less of an issue; I guess we could put it to a vote, but it sounds like most are more or less okay with solo album games/series not being announced/tracked publicly, since there's less impact on artist availability, and said albums are usually smaller...

My view of the matter is that what remix albums are being released/been released on OCR is irrelevant when doing a remix album. if someone wants to do a remix album of a soundtrack, then hell, they should do it regardless of if its been done before. I've considered doing a links awakening album of my own in the past, because I didn't totally feel threshold of a dreams concept.

Also, Solo projects - should be up to the director if its made public, its their business. When its a community album, its the communities business and should be made public for people.

However, If people want to do a private album, then while I appreciate that there might be an outcry from the community, its up to the director how he does it.

If I got a few of my remixing friends together from the community, as well as a few musician friends from outside OCR, and had it released on OCR without telling the WHOLE COMMUNITY which has over 2500 members, would you guys be butthurt over it? Sometimes the director doesn't want full community involvement. And there is no stopping someone starting an album of the same soundtrack with community involvement, if it gets on OCR or not.

Just pointing out a couple of things, which have been laid out by other staff:

* There is no inferior/superior labeling of these projects. There are only closed and open recruitment styles. Closed recruitment isn't mutually inclusive to elitism, it's just another recruitment style. We're not going to penalize project directors for working with people they know. Not every creative effort is done through open recruitment. Welcome to the real world.

* Bigger picture, not every free game arrangement fan album is published through OC ReMix. And even though that would be awesome, OC ReMix not entitled to be told about everything made by people who are involved in this community. And, yet, no one has died. It's OK! :lol:

* The reasoning for complaining about an album having to be open recruitment is the same reasoning to argue that we need to lower the judging bar to accept a higher percentage of submissions just because OC ReMix is popular and that somehow makes the site obligated to publish everyone's submissions.

* I agree that when the Bad Dudes do their albums, that they are douches for not inviting everyone and just doing them among their group. How DARE they?

DOWN WITH THE BAD DUDES! :tomatoface:

The major question is, does the existence of the elitist secret ff6 project make it less likely for the community ff6 project to gain official status?

No. And they're both community albums.

I'm still extraordinarily butthurt over this.

Your butt always hurts.

Regarding the B-K albums, I was already made aware of the secret one when I first started my thread. Shortly after, actually.

We're fine because theirs only focuses on one game while mine focuses on the whole series (and thus all 3 main games).

The release date on mine is also not set in stone. I also want to get official status but for that we need to be actually working on stuff and right now we're just recruiting (very...very slowly). While it would be NICE to have official status and be able to release next June, that is entirely dependent on how many people join my project and how quickly we gain new recruits. As both of those things are happening at a molasses pace, chances of that secret project being released before mine are high.

Especially since, as I've been informed by the director, they're already pretty much done where as we don't even have any WIPs yet (and I refuse to take WIPs until every track on the list has a remixer so the thread doesn't get prematurely locked for rule violation).

So TL;DR, we're good on the B-K projects. Please join mine. <3

Regarding the B-K albums, I was already made aware of the secret one when I first started my thread. Shortly after, actually.

We're fine because theirs only focuses on one game while mine focuses on the whole series (and thus all 3 main games).

The release date on mine is also not set in stone. I also want to get official status but for that we need to be actually working on stuff and right now we're just recruiting (very...very slowly). While it would be NICE to have official status and be able to release next June, that is entirely dependent on how many people join my project and how quickly we gain new recruits. As both of those things are happening at a molasses pace, chances of that secret project being released before mine are high.

Especially since, as I've been informed by the director, they're already pretty much done where as we don't even have any WIPs yet (and I refuse to take WIPs until every track on the list has a remixer so the thread doesn't get prematurely locked for rule violation).

So TL;DR, we're good on the B-K projects. Please join mine. <3

You can always take WIPs - you don't have to update the thread with the WIP status. That's what I do here.

I am confused how people can complain about the FF6 project being elitist or snubbing them without actually knowing anything about the project other than the fact it exists.

With some OCR projects there's sort of a common theme for the sake of cohesiveness, rather than it being a bunch of different songs in outrageously different styles, because if it were, what was the point of making it into an *album*? For all one knows there could be a common theme in the FF6 project. Maybe it leans more towards melodic orchestra rather than death metal and screaming. In which case the latter would be inappropriate. In projects it's not always a matter of what's good vs. what's bad. It's just a matter of what fits.