OCR01423 - EarthBound "SnowBound"

djpretzel

Having once tried it myself, I know how difficult it can be to dance in snow.

That does not, however, affect the danceability of this mix. bLiNd does a really nice job with keeping the music "busy" in the background (as eurobeat tends to be), but I'm glad he didn't pump up the volume and instead kept it at a lower, slightly more mellow but no less energetic. It's full of energy, yet... somehow it preserves the tranquility usually associated with, well, snow.

Sorry guys, but I found this one dissapointing.

I always get really excited when I see an earthbound mix, but to me this was just a trance song with some earthbound notes thrown in...

Props on the techno, but as far as being earthboundy? Meh.

I was actually just listening to di.fm before I popped this mix in and compared back to back. Well, I think i've already said it.

This song simply strayed too far from the original. Part of the way I judge a remix is how well it brings me back to spending all weekend in front of my SNES playing that game. And while as a trance song it was good..it just didnt do the former for me at all.

Wassup yall, been awhile ;)

having watched this remix grow like a newborn child, it was genius from its first step. You can't go wrong with trance + video game + blind! But this mix is someone different. Sure its a game remix made into trance, as usual. However, the vibe to this song is a bit more mature than the past blind tunes. Now this is true in all his music lately, but for it to affect his remix's.... means pure knowledge! I know for a fact blind has been learning alot about music more so lately then ever, but his artistic growth is incredible! Great tune Jnad...... snare is too loud though! ;)

Leifo

(Ko miho Leifo a.k.a. Dj leifo)

This post isn't about the remix (sorry) but about a huge beef I have with the writeup.

Now, before going into the juicy details on Jordan's (excellent) mix, I'd be more than a little dishonest in not mentioning that up until very recently, I myself was on this project, and the fashion in which I dissociated from it wasn't exactly 'amicable'. You'd get ten different stories from ten different people, but my own take is that because I was uninformed up until the last minute of someone on the project that I'd rather not collaborate with, even in a symbolic sense, I withdrew my contribution. I still question the goal of "unifying" the community by an invitation-only mixer selection process that keeps some people, namely me, in the dark

This has no place in a remix write up whatsoever. Putting in a personal tidbit, especially something of this nature, is unprofessional and unacceptable. You made a remark about drama - what is this? The vast majority of people downloading this mix would have had no idea about any kind of drama had you not posted a comment like that, and frankly it not only makes you look bad, but having it in a ReMix decscription makes OCR look bad as well.

This site is about game music and the community of remixers and fans behind it, not petty squabbling and personal differences behind the scenes. I think it would be in your best interest and in the best interest of the site to remove references to whatever kind of drama fest happened in the making of this album. Please don't tarnish it.

This post isn't about the remix (sorry) but about a huge beef I have with the writeup.
Now, before going into the juicy details on Jordan's (excellent) mix, I'd be more than a little dishonest in not mentioning that up until very recently, I myself was on this project, and the fashion in which I dissociated from it wasn't exactly 'amicable'. You'd get ten different stories from ten different people, but my own take is that because I was uninformed up until the last minute of someone on the project that I'd rather not collaborate with, even in a symbolic sense, I withdrew my contribution. I still question the goal of "unifying" the community by an invitation-only mixer selection process that keeps some people, namely me, in the dark

This has no place in a remix write up whatsoever. Putting in a personal tidbit, especially something of this nature, is unprofessional and unacceptable. You made a remark about drama - what is this? The vast majority of people downloading this mix would have had no idea about any kind of drama had you not posted a comment like that, and frankly it not only makes you look bad, but having it in a ReMix decscription makes OCR look bad as well.

This site is about game music and the community of remixers and fans behind it, not petty squabbling and personal differences behind the scenes. I think it would be in your best interest and in the best interest of the site to remove references to whatever kind of drama fest happened in the making of this album. Please don't tarnish it.

DJP's write-ups have always been more in the vein of pseudo-live journal posts and sometimes include community news and views. They're not really meant to be serious or singular in scope. Whether he included that or not, it would have come out in one form or another, and would have been a topic of conversation in this thread. At the end of the day, it is DJP's prerogative to set the record straight or state his point of view, as long as Joe/project got a fair treatment as far as postage goes (which it has). In the case of this postage/writeup, overall, I think things were handled professionally.

I'm forced to agree with *morningstar here. DJP's personal vendettas should remain outside of things like reviews and the such. I don't care that DJP has a beef with virt or if the judges can't DJP or anything stupid like that. All I care about is the music. Give me a rundown of what's awesome and what isn't, not some minispeech on how DJP hates virt and doesn't think that this remix project is worthy of his work. It's like when the US boycotted the Olympics when they were held in Moscow. It's stupid and makes everybody look bad.

DJP's write-ups have always been more in the vein of pseudo-live journal posts and sometimes include community news and views. They're not really meant to be serious or singular in scope.

I don't think any of us disagree: I'm sure we've all noticed the comments placed in most of the reviews. However, most of them are just basic "I'm really tired as I write this, because I did [x]", rather than a very pointed remark about something or someone related to the remix. Here, and for example, in the Pillar of Salt review (here: http://www.ocremix.org/remix/OCR01225/), pointed remarks are made and are obviously not mere teasing. Being unprofessional and dare I say unkind aren't something that should be in reviews, and should be taken seriously.

Whether he included that or not, it would have come out in one form or another, and would have been a topic of conversation in this thread.

Fine: but a thread in a forum and a permanent page for the remix are two different things. A year down the line people are going to visit the page and see animosity for a long-since-complete remix project. Why does that need to be included in the review? Stick it in a blog or journal, not on a music review site.

At the end of the day, it is DJP's prerogative to set the record straight or state his point of view, as long as Joe/project got a fair treatment as far as postage goes (which it has). In the case of this postage/writeup, overall, I think things were handled professionally.

I disagree. Airing dirty laundry on a site that is otherwise non-bloggish isn't professional. He can set his record straight, sure: but I don't think this site is the appropriate place. Stick it on the bottom of the review, with a warning, perhaps: but not in the middle, when a valid artist is trying to get his remix out to the public.

Now to the actual reason this thread exists: the review of the remix. I like "spacious" sounding music, and this song definitely has an atmosphere about it. Up until the surprising breakdown at the final moments of the song, I didn't think this song brought all that much in terms of new material or style to the genre. However, the slowing of the beat and almost winter-like feeling at the end of the song really impressed me. I've always liked the cozy feeling of a cold day in a warm house, and having that feeling evoked in, of all things, a trance song, is a great event indeed.

The rest of the song entertains, but isn't what I would call "revolutionary". Perhaps that wasn't the intention, and for a dance remix, it works fine. I like it, but my favorite has to be the finale. It transcends the oft-used simple fadeout by adding the quiet jingle bell moment. Now, for all I know the actual source tune is like this, but it doesn't really matter to me. It works.

090m.jpg

About the song..

I loved its introduction, but I think it got tiring towards the middle. There just wasn't any brightness and creativity in the middle for me.. that's my opinion anyways.

Fine: but a thread in a forum and a permanent page for the remix are two different things. A year down the line people are going to visit the page and see animosity for a long-since-complete remix project. Why does that need to be included in the review? Stick it in a blog or journal, not on a music review site.

This IS his website. His write-ups about songs frequently include details about his own life and experiences during the period that the song was posted, and this time, it coincidentally revolved around the remix project. Why not? Keep in mind that it's by virtue that OCRemix IS DJP's site that he can post his songs straight up on the site without passing it through the judges panel.

This IS his website.

I never said it wasn't. My point is, if one wishes to present the site as professional, then keep it that way. Mixing in unnecessary personal comments can cause problems. Believe me, I know.

This is an amateur site. And when you run the site, you run it the way you want.

Sticking with the mix itself, I was looking forward to it since Jordan let me check out one of the VERY early WIPs. I was really impressed buy the arrangement here, which sounded so natural here and downplays some nice liberties taken with the original melody. Great energy per the usual, and a great addition to an otherwise strong project. Looking forward to White Skies later for the huge smash! Judges hate club music!

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR01423 - EarthBound "SnowBound"