OCR Talkback Live! (Saturdays, 9PM EDT!)

DarkeSword

This looks like fun! I haven't been able to watch any of these live yet, but I've seen some of the recordings. I saw in the first post that remixers can join too? I had an idea that maybe the week Sonic CD Temporal Duality releases a small handful of us from the project team could hop in for a segment and talk about the album and answer some questions and stuff? Kinda like what you guys did for MM25?

Yeah we wanna start doing that for album releases.

In the last talkback I mentioned the possibility of some kind of mentor project. Maybe a thread in R&C. People could offer to mentor someone on a specific daw, or technique, or instrument. So they would put their name down in the thread and list the things they feel they could help with or teach, and someone could be matched up with that person either for a period of time, or for the length of a specific project or maybe just to complete one remix. It would be similar to RWTS, but it would be at a more relaxed pace and not a compo at all. Just people helping each other on a one-to-one basis, for free.

I could work out the specifics and spearhead this, if anyone is interested. I'm sure there would be at least a few people willing to do this, I would for sure.

In the last talkback I mentioned the possibility of some kind of mentor project. Maybe a thread in R&C. People could offer to mentor someone on a specific daw, or technique, or instrument. So they would put their name down in the thread and list the things they feel they could help with or teach, and someone could be matched up with that person either for a period of time, or for the length of a specific project or maybe just to complete one remix. It would be similar to RWTS, but it would be at a more relaxed pace and not a compo at all. Just people helping each other on a one-to-one basis, for free.

I could work out the specifics and spearhead this, if anyone is interested. I'm sure there would be at least a few people willing to do this, I would for sure.

im sure there are plenty of people who would enjoy this.

im sure there are plenty of people who would enjoy this.

Thanks, I think so. I should mention that when I first started here, I got some harsh yet constructive feedback from one person (anterroir). He suggested some really specific things to try and even attached a little mp3 of one of his ideas. I wrote to him and flat-out asked him to mentor me. Pretty bold, eh? Well he took me under his wing, we became great friends, and he really helped me get a leg up with music. I owe him so much. Anyway, if I could, I would love to see other people have a similar experience, even if only for a limited time. It makes such a difference.

Quick note, because I was watching (and wasn't invited to partake, meanies :( ): In regards to Brandon's response on metal on OCR "needing work", I feel like the issue is that, if a remix were submitted with well-executed/well-mixed scream vocal work, it would still negatively impact the judging negatively due to the highly subjective acquired taste necessary to appreciate scream vocal work, and the absence of that acquired taste within the judges panel. Scream vox are going to be off-putting to people who don't like metal, even if they're done well, and I agree with Brandon that it really shouldn't be the case on OCR.

I feel like the issue is that, if a remix were submitted with well-executed/well-mixed scream vocal work, it would still negatively impact the judging negatively due to the highly subjective acquired taste necessary to appreciate scream vocal work, and the absence of that acquired taste within the judges panel. Scream vox are going to be off-putting to people who don't like metal, even if they're done well, and I agree with Brandon that it really shouldn't be the case on OCR.

Excuse me?

http://ocremix.org/remix/OCR01317/

http://ocremix.org/remix/OCR01871/

http://ocremix.org/remix/OCR02526/

People need to 1) stop overthinking, 2) stop claiming the judges don't "get" XYZ genre or production style, and 3) just send stuff.

it would still negatively impact the judging negatively due to the highly subjective acquired taste necessary to appreciate scream vocal work

I agree but I wanted to point out this part in particular, and say this could really apply to metal as a whole. I think people associate metal with stuff like... sixto sounds, which is more along the lines of hard rock, and pretty accessible. I think when metal starts approaching the more extremes, it enters the subjective acquired taste area.. djent, metalcore, black metal, death metal, schizo hospital metal (it's a thing), and so on. I stand by thinking that the diversity of metal is not so wide yet and with some help we can fix that :puppyeyes:

edit: I should have refreshed, didn't see your post there Larry I didn't mean to contradict you or anything :-D

Just to post a couple more things here...

Here's Harjawaldar's I den Svarte Skogen mentioned in the talkback --

And here's a metal vocal style I want to try, it is unconventional.

(at 0:32)

Guy sounds like he's a smoker, half scream, half voice, many effort, so scream, wow

Edited by Brandon Strader

I stand by thinking that the diversity of metal is not so wide yet and with some help we can fix that :puppyeyes:

It's not because of the judges, it's because these types of metal aren't being sent in. That's like saying the judges don't get reggae to explain to why we currently have 0 reggae mixes. They're simply not submitted with any frequency/regularity, so it's a numbers game, not the judges.

I agree but I wanted to point out this part in particular, and say this could really apply to metal as a whole. I think people associate metal with stuff like... sixto sounds, which is more along the lines of hard rock, and pretty accessible. I think when metal starts approaching the more extremes, it enters the subjective acquired taste area.. djent, metalcore, black metal, death metal, schizo hospital metal (it's a thing), and so on. I stand by thinking that the diversity of metal is not so wide yet and with some help we can fix that :puppyeyes:

edit: I should have refreshed, didn't see your post there Larry I didn't mean to contradict you or anything :-D

Just to post a couple more things here...

Here's Harjawaldar's I den Svarte Skogen mentioned in the talkback --

And here's a metal vocal style I want to try, it is unconventional.

(at 0:32)

I personally don't like traditional metal, but if it's made well, I would be okay with it being on the site. I would objectively compliment it. However, I'm not entirely against screamo vocals either.

had some of that (starts at 3:19), and I still liked it. Granted, the production isn't super good, but ignoring that, it's still rawkin'. The only point where metal goes beyond my preferences is if so much of the track is screamo that there's little variation in the dynamics or texture. Edited by timaeus222

Another point worth mentioning is that considering the audience and the proverbial "payoff" is not exactly worth it for producing an amazing extreme metal subgenre mix. Just look at the response to Gridlock :tomatoface: That was a love letter to bands like Meshuggah and was actually modeled as well as I could to sound like their kind of djent, complete with the vocals yelling as loud as I possibly could, which I guarantee I could not do again. And then the response was... not quite worth the years it took to finish and get that mix out. With a lot of these subgenres, and even the more popular ones like metalcore, it takes an immense amount of performance skill but also a higher level of production skill... it's not easy at all. I'm not saying it is not worth doing, I personally love making that kind of stuff and I get a big kick out of it and enjoy listening to it, that's why I do it. But on the flipside, it's very discouraging to put your heart into something and then see how many people hate it. I'm not so sure having much more of these subgenre mixes would actually improve how it is received. There's still dubstep mixes that get hate and that stuff is about as mainstream as it gets.

I dunno. Rambling. I'd love to be on a talkback where Larry shows up and we could talk about it.

I'm always baffled with the notion tha OCR wouldn't or shouldn't post some stranger genres. It's like people don't pay attention to the left field stuff that gets posted. Of course the more accessible stuff is more prominent, there's more people making and listening to that kind of stuff (and it's not like OCR has profiled itself as AvantGarde ReMix).

However, to me it's always been clear that OCR welcomes all sorts of music, just by listening what's there and especially reading djp's writeups. It's a bit like with obscure games and platforms. Just like with them, it's a huge appeal of OCR to me that sometimes unusual styles of music pop up.

I can sympathise with getting less support or attention when you stray off the beaten path. But me, to use Gridlock as an example, I enjoy Messuggah occasionally and appreciate that track a lot. Just haven't gotten around to properly review it.

--Eino

Is there going to be a show this Friday night? I'm available to talk about Temporal Duality, along with Phonetic Hero (if he's able to get off work), and special guest Jivemaster, whom I assume will discuss kangaroos and Sonic Boom! :)

That sounds like me lol.

EDIT: Oh damn, it's happening. This Friday.

EDIT 2: Everyone don't get too excite. XD

Edited by Jivemaster