Domain Registration Email: is this legit?

Patrick Burns

Not sure if this is for 'community,' but I've had this email conversation recently about purchasing a domain name and I want to know how I should go about completing the process if it is indeed legit:

Hello,

I am writing because I see on Google that your operation relates closely to our domain [domain].com. We recently received an offer for the domain and before proceeding with the sale, we wanted to inform all potentially interested parties of the opportunity to acquire the domain. If the domain is of potential interest to your operation, please contact us immediately in order to make an offer before we proceed with the current one.

Paul Martin

Sincerely,

Starr Consulting

[phone number]

Hello,

Thanks for contacting me -- I am interested. May I know the standing offer by any chance?

All the best,

Patrick

Hi Patrick,

The current high offer is $1,600.

Regards,

Paul

Hmm -- it's a good opportunity but I can't afford a higher offer. If, for any reason, the higher offers fall through then you can count on me for $350.

Best of luck,

Patrick

Two weeks later:

Hi Patrick,

Congratulations on securing [domain].com for $350.

For payment I would recommend one of two options:

1) Escrow.com - slight cost involved, holds funds until you instruct

them to release to us (after you receive the domain.)

2) Direct wire

For domain transfer, we can either have you create a free account at

the current registrar or unlock the domain and provide you

the EPP transfer code to transfer the domain away to your preferred

registrar. The transfer at the current registrar is free and instant. The EPP method

takes about 3-5 days and costs around $10 depending on your registrar.

Please let me know which of the above options you prefer and we will

get started right away.

Regards,

PM

I'll probably call the phone number provided in the first message after I get off from work today, but it still feels a little fishy. Any thoughts on the simplest way to vet this and make the transfer?

It's a scam. OCR gets emails like these all the time, "we're a domain registrar in hong kong and some one applied for ocremix.co.hk, do you want to get it before they do?"

I would not conduct the purchase of a domain name through an email exchange. Like XPRT said, any time you see the word "escrow" that's a massive red flag. Just ignore this guy. Don't even waste your time calling.

I'm wary of anyone who only accepts a wire transfer and some other form of obscure escrow; everyone else does credit cards, paypal, etc...

Agreed. Dude this is def a scam. Stay away. To add more fuel to the fire, nobody would turn around and sell a domain for 21.9% of a previous offer without waiting awhile for a better offer.

Well, I was going to give it up, but here's a response from the email address listed on WHOIS:

Hello, someone working for a purported "Starr Consulting" has contacted me offering to sell me [domain].com. As the email listed on the WHOIS database, are you familiar with this situation? I'm trying to vet the person claiming to sell the domain.

Thanks

Paul? Yes he is authorized.

Also Paul will likely instruct you to remit payment to our parent company: LEVEL2

I've registered a few domains before, but always one that was new -- never a transfer. Could they actually have the domain and still be scamming?

Yes. Dude, seriously. It's not worth your time. It's a classic scam.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Domain_name_scams#Fake_trademark_protection

For all that is good and holy, stop.

Do not give these guys any money.

Edited by DarkeSword

Yes. Dude, seriously. It's not worth your time. It's a classic scam.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Domain_name_scams#Fake_trademark_protection

For all that is good and holy, stop.

Elaborating:

"Although less common than domain slamming, another domain name scam primarily coming from registrars based in China involves sending domain owners an e-mail claiming that another company has just attempted to register a number of domains with them which contain the targeted domain owner's trademark or has many keyword similarities to their existing domain name. Often, these domains will be the same as the one(s) owned by the targeted individual but with different TLDs. The scammer will claim to have halted the bulk registration in order to protect the targeted individual's intellectual property, and if the email recipient doesn't recognize the entity attempting to register these domain names, that they should respond immediately to protect their trademark. If the scam target does respond by email or by phone, the scammer will then try to get them to register these domain names for several years upfront with the registrar running this scam.

Other variations of this type of scam include registrars that target their own existing customers with similar made-up threats of another entity trying to register the same domain as theirs under different TLDs. As well, some domainers are known to search for available TLDs for already registered domains, then emailing the owner of the registered domain and offering to sell the unregistered variations to him/her for a marked up amount. If the target agrees to the deal, the domainer will then purchase the domains on the spot for the regular $7~20 registration fee and immediately sell it back to the victim for a few hundred dollars."

Patrick, you can buy the domain name from ME, at least I'll put the coin to good use! (i.e. Nintendo World Championships 1990 gold NES cartridge)

P.S. You're trollin' us good, orrrrrrr... :lol:

Edited by Liontamer

• 1 month later...

ok --- so I ignore this guy for a few emails, but he was persistent and I couldn't resist

I looked into using Escrow.com and it seemed relatively straightforward and easy to verify -- so I agreed to the terms on the escrow contract, put the money up, created an account with the registrar he was using, gave him my account username, he pushed the domain to me, and I released the funds to him. Then I just transferred the domain to my registrar of choice, just to be sure.

I'm not sure what the take away is here, but now patrickburns.com is mine -- locked up at my registrar for the next few years. Typical of me to ask for advice and not take it, and there were a ton of red flags, but it worked out.

Darke, maybe that last one shouldn't have been in white text...

I would feel bad if I promoted an unpopular business practice, but at the end of the day he did provide a service to me in that I couldn't accomplish on my own -- he brought the domain to market. It was previously held by some construction business owner who wouldn't respond to inquiries and just kept renewing, so I gave up a while ago.

It was very helpful to me hearing about the different ways to scam in this area, though. I learned which questions to ask, and how this guy might be legit. Also, the registrar used appeared relatively well-established, and I was allowed three days to verify the transfer before I had to release the funds from escrow.

Hey -- I was never able to come up with an alias I liked, so besides the several musician Patrick Burns floating around the web I'm also competing

, after all. He's even got a wikipedia page :-/ Edited by Patrick Burns

Yeah, you done got scammed even if it seems legit right now. It's like those "Buy gold for WoW" scams where they contact you. Sure...you get the gold sent to you, and then a month later you log in to find your characters naked with every last thing sold.

It seems cool now, but wait. Just wait.

Yeah, you done got scammed even if it seems legit right now. It's like those "Buy gold for WoW" scams where they contact you. Sure...you get the gold sent to you, and then a month later you log in to find your characters naked with every last thing sold.

It seems cool now, but wait. Just wait.

I was that lazy guy who paid for gold once. Never received it. Big surprise.

I may not be understanding everything perfectly but it doesn't seem cool to me even at this moment. Isn't the result of this simply that he paid $350 for a domain? Domains usually only cost around $50. So even if he got what he bargained for, he got it at seven times the normal price.

A domain that has yet to be registered costs ~$10 for a year's registration. If someone already registered it, all bets are off; it just depends on how much people want it from the person who's already got it and how much they negotiate between themselves. An example from the extreme end of the spectrum: the domain "eBet.com" was reportedly sold privately for $1.3 million dollars this year. (see this list)

Maybe I could have negotiated a lower price with these people, but I was so amazed that it might actually work for $350 that I just went for it. According to this census inference tool, there might be 300 people named 'Patrick Burns' in the US alone, so . . . you get the picture. I'm sure if you got those people in a room together and started auctioning it off, I think it would sell for a lot more than $350. (That's what the guy selling to me tried to do, I assume. I guess he didn't get through to a lot of people, or they assumed he was spamming.) There's certainly interest on some level -- patburns.com, pat-burns.com, patrick-burns.com, patrick-burns.net, patrickburns.net, patrickburns.org, patrickburns.biz are all already registered.

Of course, it's just a name. It's either worthless or valuable depending on how you use it. To answer your question, I might have paid too much, I might have gotten it for a steal. Depends on your perspective, and depends on if I make good use of it. Domain names are certainly losing some meaning in the age of social media, and Google is also improving it's ranking algorithm to favor quality content and quality backlinks over perfect domain name keyword matches . . . but. Whatever. It's easy to say, remember, and spell.