rRPC 2016 - The ReMix Role-Playing Competition 2016

FenixDown

Thanks for telling me this is back on! I think I would rather be in the Heroes bracket this time simply because I was Villains last time, but I don't mind too much either way.

Here I am again, bringing a load of obscure music to the table, but I love it all:

EDIT: Well, looks like I was a bit hasty with this list, so I've removed the vids. New list further down.

Heroes

1. I-Ninja - Ninja, Main Theme - Hero

2. Tomb Raider III - Lara Croft, Main Theme - Hero

3. Viewtiful Joe - Captain Blue, Blue the Justice - Hero

Villains

1. Viewtiful Joe 2 - Frozen Beast Frost Tiger, Blizzard Hazard - Villain

2. Final Fantasy VI - Ultros, Opera Battle - Villain

3. Dark Chronicle (Dark Cloud 2) - Sirus, Dark Ruler Emperor Griffon - Villain

1 hour ago, Xenonetix said:

Thanks for telling me this is back on! I think I would rather be in the Heroes bracket this time simply because I was Villains last time, but I don't mind too much either way.

Here I am again, bringing a load of obscure music to the table, but I love it all:

This compo is for role-playing games.  That's a whole lot of not-RPG's you've got there.

I sent Xenonetix a message about his lists so I'm sure he'll submit a new one soon. Definitely glad to see more interest in the compo, even if the timing is bad for a lot of people. I know Wildfire told me on Facebook that the timing wasn't good for her either. Jason Covenant is busy as well and some other people I reached out to so far haven't responded yet. Been going through my last compo's roster and reaching out to people from that, a couple at a time. 

Thanks a lot for getting the word out guys and to everyone that stopped in to see what this is all about.

*throws hat into the ring / arena / whatever the hell you want to call it*

It's been a while since my last competition. I still feel like I have a long way to go with my music skills and I honestly won't be surprised if I get eliminated in the first round BUT I still want to give it a shot.

EDIT : Apparently I have a tendency to lump any game with even a few RPG elements into the RPG genre. I appreciate FenixDown's patience. My current first choice is Ayla's theme but I'm planning on making a new list of just hero characters.

[“Chrono Trigger” - “Ayla” and “Ayla's Theme” - “Hero”] -

Edited by alfredofreak
My definition of 'RPG' is non-standard

18 hours ago, MindWanderer said:

This compo is for role-playing games.  That's a whole lot of not-RPG's you've got there.

Absolutely fair point, well-made! Ok, here we go:

Heroes

1. Kingdom Hearts: Birth By Sleep - Terra, Main Theme - Hero

2. Arc the Lad: Twilight of the Spirits - Bebedora, Main Theme - Hero

3. Final Fantasy XIII - Lightning, Blinded By Light - Hero

Villains

1. Final Fantasy Dimensions - Elgo, Inside the Swirl of Chaos - Villain

2. Final Fantasy VI - Ultros, Opera Battle - Villain

3. Dark Chronicle (Dark Cloud 2) - Sirus, Dark Ruler Emperor Griffon - Villain

2 hours ago, FenixDown said:

I guess I wasn't clear enough about this being an RPG character compo.

You were perfectly clear enough. In my case, I had an overly-broad definition of RPG. Just because something has a few RPG elements doesn't mean it is an RPG and I did not really realize that before. Thanks for your patience.

Here's my new list. I'm going Hero now.

1. [“Chrono Trigger” - “Ayla” and “Ayla's Theme” - “Hero”]
  2. [“Chrono Trigger” - “Robo” and “Robo's Theme” - “Hero”]
  3. [“Chrono Trigger” - “Lucca” and “Lucca's Theme” - “Hero”]
Edited by alfredofreak
Finally made up my mind on actual RPG tracks!

Sorry to hear that Anorax. Your characters wouldn't have to be anyone even remotely obscure or anything you know. Surely you've had some experience with at least one Final Fantasy? If you're absolutely sure you're out, thank you for considering entering and I hope you follow along.

So we've got two more days left for my intended sign-up period. Right now we've got five heroes (Garpocalypse, Touchstone, Ghetto Lee Lewis, Xenonetix, and alfredofreak), two villains (Timothy William and Ronald Poe), and two undecideds (Chernabogue and HoboKa). Over halfway to a full roster so I'm feeling pretty good about that. We'll see how things go over the weekend. Ideally we'll get enough last minute people to fill out the roster and everything can proceed as planned. 

hey thx for the heads up Fenix, was away from the pc and couldn't really reply or anything, Good to see this is back up. It looks like the villain side needs some more ppl in there so I'll go ahead and sign up for evil this time around. tried to keep it all Tales of symphonia villain themes but it kind of turns out that the game doesn't really have that many evil characters in there ( at least with there own unique theme/battle).

1)Tales of Symphonia - Mithos boss theme - Villain

2) Tales of Symphonia - Kratos battle theme - Villain

3) M&L:Dream Team - Antasma's theme - villain

Dawn of the Final Day. Today is the last day of my intended sign up period for the rRPC. Still at six open slots including Mike's entry though he hasn't messaged me with it yet. For anyone who has been following along but have not made up your mind yet, today would be the day to do it. 

The compo would definitely work best with the full roster of 16, but I do think it's feasible to pull off with 12 or 14 depending on how everyone's divided up. With 12 people split evenly between both sides (6 heroes and 6 villains), round 1 would then be a series of 3-way match ups with the lowest scoring participant dropped before round 2. In this case, I would provide the villains with a source from my list of possible party members so that we don't run the risk of rounds 1 and 2 being the same combination of themes remixed both times. I suppose you could also incorporate one of your opponents' character themes as well, but that would be optional.

With 14 people, I would need one of the brackets to be filled up and that bracket would then proceed as I had originally planned. Then whichever bracket is two members short will be set up like I described in the 12 person scenario. If the villains are low, I'll provide sources for round 1. My biggest concern about doing 3-way match ups is what to do in the event of a second place tie. I wouldn't want to settle something like that with something completely random like flipping a coin or rolling a die. I suppose all three could advance to round 2 and make that be a double-elimination round, plus we get a little more music going that route.

I'm mostly just thinking out loud here and I would appreciate any input you have on the situation. There could be something I'm overlooking, or maybe you would rather delay things another week to give more people a chance to sign up and fill out the roster. I want to have a full roster and I'm definitely willing to extend the sign up period, but I also want to do what works best for everyone. At any rate, if you've been on the fence about signing up, today would be the day to make your move. Just be sure to follow the sign up instructions in the opening post and PM your picks to me. 

Ah goddamn it, I'm really busy, but I can't waste an opportunity for training. Ok here goes:
[“Castlevania: Symphony of the Night” - “Alucard” and “The Tragic Prince” - “Hero"].  I hope that's eligible, since this is not the "official" theme of Alucard

[“Illusion of Gaia” - “Dark Gaia" and “The Clash of Light and Shadow” - “Villain”].

Great to have you on board Yami. I had actually forgotten that Symphony of the Night is an action RPG so I wound up looking that up to make sure it was eligible. I would like you to PM those to me as soon as you can so it's all official and with everyone else's entries. If you have any preference on which bracket you want to be in, let me know there as well. 

That makes 11 people signed up. Five more openings are left. If you're interested in entering, now is the time to do it.

Some other options for smaller turnouts:

1. Instead of providing a separate source for 6 participants, you can do A vs. B vs. C and D vs. E vs. F in round 1, then, for example, A vs. D and B vs. E in round 2.
  2. Swiss brackets.  There are a few ways of doing these, but the usual way is to start off ranking all participants by seed of some sort, and matching everyone with their closest peer.  In round 2, you would rank everyone by how decisively they won or lost the first round (i.e. percentage of votes, with a forfeit counted as 50%), and again match everyone with the closest score to theirs, with a little bit of fudging if necessary to prevent rematches.  Round 3 would count the results of both rounds 1 and 2.  The finalists are the ones with the highest total scores.  One advantage of this format is that it's elimination-free until the finals.
  3. If there's an odd number of participants, round 1 can be a free-for-all with a separate source, similar to the gauntlet format.  Then you eliminate however many low-scorers you need to get it down to the number you want.

Yeah, the delay was probably for the best overall. Thanks for the suggestions Mindwanderer, I'll keep those in mind in case it becomes necessary to start without the full roster. If anyone can think of anyone else who might be interested in the compo, feel free to summon them the way Chernabogue did earlier. Some of them seemed interested before but never followed up.

Just five more people is all we need to make this happen.

I've been weighing my options on how best to proceed with the current situation. If we can get one more person on board to get the total participants up to 12, we can split everyone between the two brackets evenly. I'm thinking of having round one be three two-person match ups, then round two will be two three-person matches split between whoever won/lost round one, and round three will have the two winners of round two paired up and everyone else will be sorted either in pairs or into a lump group depending on the bracket or if anyone dropped out by this point. The winner of the two-person match up in round three will be a finalist. 

To simplify my idea, let's say we have in round 1: A vs B, C vs D, and E vs F. A, C, and E all win their rounds so in round 2, A, C, and E will go against each other in a three-way round, while B, D, and F go against each other as well. Now let's say A and F are the winners of round 2, so they will be paired up in round 3 as semi-finalists, while B, C, D, and E get shuffled into pairs or otherwise grouped up depending on which bracket they're in and if all four of them are still able to participate. Now let's say F manages to end A's win streak and then becomes the finalist for F's bracket, F would then go against the opposing bracket's finalist in the last round.

It's not a perfect plan and there's a little more to it on my end that I cannot go into without revealing secrets like round source types. I was considering implementing a point system of some kind, but with this approach, the winners and losers of each match up get separated each time so points seem a bit redundant. One of the things I do like about this approach is that it does away with eliminations until the finals, and it gives people who did not win the first round a chance to still come out on top. Also, I do want to clarify, just because I'm grouping up people into three-way match-ups does not mean I'm intending for everyone to have to mix more than two sources a round. I may give you the option to do so depending on the situation, but it won't be a requirement by any means.

Let me know if you spot any glaring issues with this approach, or any general concerns. Also, if you've signed up and haven't picked a side yet, there's only room for one more hero if we settle for 12 participants, so if that's relevant to you, you may want to make that claim if you're leaning that way. Also, @Sir_NutS and @Tuberz McGee, if you guys are still interested in joining in, please let me know as soon as possible. If we wind up with an odd number of people on board, I'll have to make one of the round 1 match-ups a three-way, split a three-way match up in round 2 into two pairs, and then have the semi-final match-up be with three people as well (all this for just one of the brackets).