OCR00019 - Super Mario Bros. "Frivolous Funk"

• 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

It's rock, but I don't see anything else recommending this. There are PILES of better smb remixes out there, so really don't touch this one with a ten foot pole. The songs are so poorly done that I'm 90% sure that the posting went like this:

guy #1: Hey remember that time that guy told you to play super mario brother's music and you did?

guy #2: yeah, so?

1: I recorded it.

2: And?

1: Well I found this site online that archives different video game arrangement. We should post it.

#2: Video game Music? Ha losers. Well why not? It'll be good publicity for the band.

2/8

• 11 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

i would have to agree with djpretzel that this song is good. i mean how many live remixes are there on this site? not to many. It could have been better. but the fact that it is live and that most of you probally couldnt do any better at palying it on guitar anyway. B+

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

This track just popped out of my DAP's playlist, and I felt compelled to write my thoughts on it. I feel it's too bad that so far the comments have been so negative... Ok, so they're not playing to absolute perfection. Ok, there's plenty of better SMB remixes out there, but bottomline is: this is fun to listen to. Whenever this track comes up, I can't help but smile a little.

And IMHO, it's a bazillion times better than that out-of-tune, random-arsed P.O.S. Music Of My Groin "remix" of the Zelda theme. That one makes me *cringe*!

To each his own, I guess.

/0.02$

• 6 months later...

Ok I registered JUST to reply to this thread.

The Frivolous Funk was my band, I'm the drummer that "deserves to be shot". :?

Anyhow a few notes on this tune:

1.) This song was performed live 'by request' at California University of Pennsylvania. As you can hear at the beginning of the tune, this was a request - we didn't rehearse this to play that night so please excuse the 'sloppy, sloppy, sloppy' sound. :roll:

2.) We were not a 'videogame cover band' - that's not what we did. This is something we played for fun once in a great while (maybe 4-5 times live out of 200 shows total).

3.) As far as the complaints about the high tempo: fans of SMB will remember that when there were only 99 ticks left on the clock the music would double in speed letting you know to hurry up - hence the music speeding up half way through the tune. :wink:

4.) Complaints about the bass: It is worthwhile to note that we were a 2 piece band - there was no bassist. The guitarist (Cary Child) played an electric guitar with a guitar synth like this one attached to it to reproduce bass notes when he played the lower strings on the guitar. A very novel approach on his part to fatten up a 2 piece group if I do say so myself.

AND FINALLY....

5.) I didn't post this here. I'm not angry about it showing up but I have NO IDEA how this got here on this site. I was listening to some old recordings of my band yesterday and decided to do a Google search on our old band name and found this site. This tune was recorded live in April of 1999 and the band broke up about a year after that - it's strange that the tune has gotten new life here!

...Well I hope I've helped put this recording in perspective. Enjoy!... or not. :?

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
5.) I didn't post this here. I'm not angry about it showing up but I have NO IDEA how this got here on this site. I was listening to some old recordings of my band yesterday and decided to do a Google search on our old band name and found this site. This tune was recorded live in April of 1999 and the band broke up about a year after that - it's strange that the tune has gotten new life here!

That's interesting...I guess the submissions policy wasn't as tite back then.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR00019 - Super Mario Bros. "Frivolous Funk"