OCR00701 - Final Fantasy VI & IX "The Endless Search"

Ginnsu

Final Fantasy VI & IX 'The Endless Search'

Hear that horn? How about that organ? This one is some piece of work, definitely broadening the amount of genre's we have around here. I'm not going to lie to you and say that I really love this sound. It's just not my taste, but it doesn't matter what you like, you have to admit that this one is really very well done. Somebody who really likes this genre give this a good review please. Nice work NoppZ, try something different next time... for me, please! Only kidding, do whatever you want.

Hands down one of the best pieces on OverClocked.

And it would just figure that I wouldn't like it. Damn my tastes, damn them all to hell. But as I said, well done.

Don't worry, not everyone can be "right" like Mustin :) jk

Seriously, while I don't deny the arranging talent and would classify this as one of NoppZ' more technically impressive pieces, I think arrangement is about more than wowing with chops and/or nifty concepts. Some of his other submissions have ranked higher on the energy and emotion scales for me, which I value just as much as technical prowess, so while I enjoyed it quite a bit, it doesn't stand out as NoppZ' best submission or an arranging benchmark in my book.

I like this arrangement as it is pretty catchy. Of course nothing like the actual feel of the game, which types of mixes I like a lot sometimes. And this is a good example of what I do like in regards to that. Especially since that would seem to be a good direction to go with the saturation of Final Fantasy mixes.

And I know what you mean about the trumpets in your review, djp. A lot of emulated trumpets just sound so wrong once you play or hear the real thing. Just learning to play the trumpet now, though, thinking of actually playing this boggles my mind.

This piece is worth the download if for nothing more than the Celes theme at 1:35. (And who says that always has to be a sad song?) Yeah , the trumpet is awful if you're expecting a real trumpet, but it isn't (I hope) trying to be any more than synth brass, which it isn't bad at all for. Kind of calls to mind some of the original game sounds (whether it was intended or not).

This is an awesome song! Some real talent going on here. I can see where people can say low quality instruments, but hey! You did an amazing job with them. In my humble opinion, if you can take less than perfect instruments and turn them into an awesome remix like this, then it's definitely worth some kudo points! Personally, I think the instruments work perfectly in this peice. Again, awesome talent going on here! Nice work! It makes me wanna whip out my sax and jazz again!

This is the best remix I have heard in a very long time. If you're after a remix that stays true to the original, then you won't like this, sure, but if you're after a really hoopy piece of music, then this is the one for you!

OK, so I like jazz and fast music like this. ;)

I said it before. Not all remixes are good. this one takes the cake as being God awful! If mr cranky ( http://www.mrcranky.com ) did reviews of music, this one would get 4 bombs. I once passed by a man with Down's syndrome and stoped to reflect what the world was like through his eyes. This song explains it perfectly.

Alright, so maybe its not that bad. :roll: but it comes close

:D Yes! Indeed! This is one of the most entertaining remixes I've ever heard and while I don't know that -many- of them, this is just kicking and makes me want to hear the rest of the stuff this guy did.

The melody is -really- not repetitive, of course this could be attributed to the medley-ish-ness that this has. However, each different 'section', as it were, has a powerful lasting impression and while those synth trumpets sound a tad repetitive, they aren't overdone to make it obvious. I believe they -do- work better synthesized as well.

I can't reiterate how kicking the melodies are. Sure, he just did variations on others, but they're differentiated enough to make me drool. Then again, I always like to hear more mellow pieces like Celes's theme made in more upbeat versions. If I did not play the games, I wouldn't know this was a remix but rather music you might hear in a Lunar game or even a bloody movie (one with good music :)). (yes, I think it's as good as Lunar, which has my favorite music.) It's the perfect music for any upbeat jazzy town feel. The medley supports this greatly.

I give this a 9 out of 10! Booyeh!

• 4 weeks later...

NoppZ, you turned beautiful, orchestrated FF music into something you could dance to.

You managed to turn the Ruined World 2 theme, one of my all-time favorite mood-setting pieces, into something I can jive to. That alone gets you my respect.

The work on the Celes theme was good, too.

As for the trumpet, I do not care whether it sounds "synthy" or not. What caught my attention more was the pipe organ. It just sounds right in the piece.

One of my favorite remixes.

• 1 month later...

The cable holding the elevator snaps and you plummet 50 floors to the concrete doom below, smiling all the way. Yes, this is the elevator music of the gods. If this were playing in an elevator, you'd be guaranteed to press the stop button, and NO ONE wants to stay in an elevator longer than they need to. YES, IT'S THAT GOOD. 8.5 out of 10.

I know I've already commented on this piece, but I've been listening to it lately, and noticed something that I absolutely love about this piece. First it starts at 1:35 with the organ, and that leads into 1:52 which I absolutely love! It's a nice little improv section, while still keeping the basic FF3 medley going. I just thought that was such a cool little section listening to it today...:)

• 3 months later...
I said it before. Not all remixes are good. this one takes the cake as being God awful! If mr cranky ( http://www.mrcranky.com ) did reviews of music, this one would get 4 bombs. I once passed by a man with Down's syndrome and stoped to reflect what the world was like through his eyes. This song explains it perfectly.

Alright, so maybe its not that bad. :roll: but it comes close

It's amazing if anyone takes this guy seriously. It's all just crap that doesn't say anything about the piece. It's ok to not like it for something as small as not liking the samples, but using some offensive non-existant example just doesn't cut it.

I don't care if this was played with NES samples, the arranging is just great. Changing the style of the original and making it work is a definite plus as well, no matter how attached you are to the original. Not my favorite piece on OC (what is?), but give it a try, it could be yours (and its percentage of it being your favorite is far greater than something like ex-OC mix Bad Tuna).

Whoa, I love this piece! As for those who've complained about this, (i. e. trumpet synth, not true to original, etc.) bottom line is, who care's, it just sounds so catchy and dancey! As for not true to original, the point of remixes are to put the remixer's interpretation on the piece, not completely follow the original interpretation, as exemplied in the various styles exhibited on OCR with respect to their originals.

Anyway, back to the original topic, it is obvious NoppZ knew what he was doing the whole way through, and hits his jazz interpretation of "Celes" and "Searching for Friends" squarely on the head. There are some minor faults, such as the synths of the instruments, and maybe slightly repetitve, but I wouldn't let this discredit his work as portrayed.

I'd give this a 9.0. Very good, but of course could've been better ;). Make some more remixes like this though and I'll still be very happy :).

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

This remix changed my outlook on a song. The song "Searching for Friends" always annoyed me when I played this game. "The Endless Search", however, convinced me to give that song another chance. When I heard it again (in the game), it still annoyed me, but then I just turned down the volume and thought of this remix. Your song is 1000x better than the song in the game. Good job.

• 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

Oh, an endless search, of friends i guess. That must be very sad, to have lost them and all and now is searching although you´re not sure to see them ever again. How sad. It´s just....WHAT the crap? Beats, a funky synth, cool piano, AND A TRUMPET? Why would anyone to something like this? Some nice skills to transform it to a happy partymix, but it´s supposed to be sad. I get so...what? You say that NoppZ has done this? OOOOOhhhh, then that´s explains everything. Heh, sorry dude. Very nice remix, happy party, GO GO GO, hehehe, sorry, hehehe....:runs away:

• 1 month later...

You know, when I saw another remake of the Endless Search, I instantly picked it up, even if it made up only a piece of the compilation. This took two of the most emotionally charged songs in the game and gave them flashing high beams, and that's a bad thing. I really wish I had something nice to say about this remix from "59 on. I don't. Unless you like hearing your favorite songs crapped on, go download "Ruined Skies". Sorry.

• 1 year later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR00701 - Final Fantasy VI & IX "The Endless Search"