The Jack Thompson LOL thread

Bigfoot

Don't forget. He's been using his own son in "stings" against stores, trying to "prove" that kids can go in and buy M-rated games(BioShock and Halo 3).

Of course, he's giving his kid the money, and the permission, to go buy the games. So there's honestly nothing at all wrong with it.

Don't forget. He's been using his own son in "stings" against stores, trying to "prove" that kids can go in and buy M-rated games(BioShock and Halo 3).

Of course, he's giving his kid the money, and the permission, to go buy the games. So there's honestly nothing at all wrong with it.

No, you're missing the point. His son is going into a store and buying the game with no adult supervision in sight. The cashier is selling M-rated game to a minor without asking for any kind of age verification. The cashier has no idea if permission was given or where the money came from. That's the point Thompson is trying to prove; that retailers don't really care that much about carding kids for video games. In my experience (working as a cashier at Target many many years ago), such a thing was not far from the truth back in the day. Might be different now.

Real issue is, look at it from a statistics point of view. Sample size of 1? Kind of a worthless "sting" if you ask me. If he had hundreds of kids all over the country doing secret shopper type stuff, it'd be a bit more substantial.

No, you're missing the point. His son is going into a store and buying the game with no adult supervision in sight. The cashier is selling M-rated game to a minor without asking for any kind of age verification. The cashier has no idea if permission was given or where the money came from. That's the point Thompson is trying to prove; that retailers don't really care that much about carding kids for video games. In my experience (working as a cashier at Target many many years ago), such a thing was not far from the truth back in the day. Might be different now.

Real issue is, look at it from a statistics point of view. Sample size of 1? Kind of a worthless "sting" if you ask me. If he had hundreds of kids all over the country doing secret shopper type stuff, it'd be a bit more substantial.

Either way, it's ridiculous. Selling an M-rated game to 17&- is not illegal. It's just "Recommended" that they not purchase or play them. Most stores try to keep with that for consumer image, but nothing is really there requiring them to.

Either way, it's ridiculous. Selling an M-rated game to 17&- is not illegal. It's just "Recommended" that they not purchase or play them. Most stores try to keep with that for consumer image, but nothing is really there requiring them to.

Is that a state law thing? Because I am carded quite often when buying games/movies.

Is that a state law thing? Because I am carded quite often when buying games/movies.

It's a guideline and nothing more. MPAA and ESRB are unable to make them into laws, because that would break some sort of constitutional right or something.

However, the individual stores have the right to refuse, as part of their terms of service.

I agree that underage kids should not be buying Violent materal (games , movies, etc.), but I have been a strong believer in Parents should control what their kids play. I understand why Jack did what he did, but the guy as gone fucking mad.

Most stores I go to (I live in IL) do card younger kids, or will tell them they are not old enough. Actually one time a parent walked into a gamestop with her son. Her son looked about the age of 10-12. He wanted Leisure Suit Larry, Magna Cum Laude and the gamestop employee said "oh that game is not for kids. It's very perverse". The mother didn't have a clue about games but thanked the gemtleman for helping her out. So it just goes to show you that not every employee ignores policies.

• 1 month later...