The Music Software Deals thread

If you buy the Ultimate version, they send you a terabyte HD with them all installed IIRC.

They send you a hard drive, but you can't run the samples from that drive because it's slow and USB-powered and everything on it is in uninstalled form. You use that drive to install Komplete Ultimate to your own drive so you don't have to deal with dozens of DVDs.

Edited by Moseph

They send you a hard drive, but you can't run the samples from that drive because it's slow and USB-powered and everything on it is in uninstalled form. You use that drive to install Komplete Ultimate to your own drive so you don't have to deal with dozens of DVDs.

Running samples from a USB drive isn't entirely out of the question. It can work if used for a small amount of samples, though obviously, you wouldn't want to use one for a full orchestral piece or anything. But yes, you can't get at the samples directly from the drive NI sends you.

The point of these complete bundles is that no one would ever buy all the company's products individually. People are motivated to do so because they get a hefty price cut, not because they're gonna use everything.

Even though most of the stuff in komplete is quite good, no one is gonna use it fully, and a part of it is bound to just clutter up your vst list for a while until you decide to put it off there.

So imo, taking this deal when you got most of what you wanted from it beforehand...meh.

Just having kontakt and battery, i always found komplete a bit tempting, but tbh i'd be downright worried about having this much new stuff.

I'm a bit neurotic about this: gotta use all the stuff i bought, else i feel sorta bad about it.

Just having kontakt and battery, i always found komplete a bit tempting, but tbh i'd be downright worried about having this much new stuff.

I'm a bit neurotic about this: gotta use all the stuff i bought, else i feel sorta bad about it.

Same. When I had Kontakt 4 and GR5 Pro, I had no reason to want Komplete until it become $200 for me.

Since those other two products had totaled $230 for me, the total for Komplete was $430, which is staggeringly good for that price.

And I disagree about cluttering the VST list.

Komplete only has like 8 VST's. A lot of the products are expansions to Kontakt and Guitar Rig.

It has

Battery

Kontakt

Reaktor

Massive

Absynth

FM8

Guitar Rig

I'm sure I'm missing one or two, but really, cluttering the VST list is a non-issue.

Guess you're right, but personally, just adding reaktor to the list is daunting enough XD

They're not many plugins, but some of them are huge beasts.

It's like...the hunter/collector part of my brain tells me to automatically jump on such a deal, while the librarian part flat out refuses. Too much new stuff to integrate, one beast at a time.

Librarian wins out because he knows more about how my workflow goes.

But that stuff can be very individually different. I'm sure komplete is the perfect plugin suite for some.

Is it that bad to run VST/Kontakt samples from an external hard drive? I don't have space for everything that comes with Komplete :(

I don't have any problems using my usb hardrive for most Kontakt libraries and I'm pretty sure it's only 5400 rpm. That being said it can't run libraries that require a lot of memory very well (Shreddage 2).

No, USB drives aren't necessarily that bad. I've used one myself for samples before. My point with the drive Komplete 8 Ultimate comes on was that the drive is designed specifically as an install drive. I don't know what the technical specs on it are, but I assume it's about the cheapest, slowest drive that it's possible to manufacture. Even if you could install to that drive (which would involve copying already installed folders back to the drive) there's no way to know what its performance would be like, and formatting the drive voids the warranty so if you ever needed to reinstall, NI would be displeased with you when you asked them for a new install drive.

I just recevied my first batch of money from my freelance job and now Komplete is on sale... I'm sooo tempted.

36912w.jpg

I feel really, really, really bad as a person because I'm still waiting for the "Komplete now available for only $100 USD for a limited time!!!" sale.

I know, I know... you can't always buy cheap if you want that good stuff. :roll:

• 1 month later...
Today, Woot.com has a Yeti USB microphone on sale for a good discount. Anyone used this and have an opinion on the results?

http://tech.woot.com/

I own a Yeti. While I haven't extensively used it (I really should though), I'm pleased with what results I've gotten so far.

I really like the fact that it has multiple polar patterns. That's always fun.

For that price, I say it's worth trying it out. That's about half-off, definitely NOT a bad deal at all.

Only downside that you may encounter is that you can't plug in an analog mic cable - you'll have to get the Yeti PRO for that. However, I don't know if you'll need it for that (doubtful).

• 2 weeks later...

I just realized today, but cakewalk is having a sale on sonar X2 studio upgrades

http://www.store.cakewalk.com/b2cus/ProductInfo.aspx?productid=10-CXSR2.00-20E

Although I'm not sure how much of a saving is that.

Sales goes through march 31.

According to the email:

How to redeem: Please enter promo code Studio50 before you check out to get $50 instant savings on SONAR X2 Studio. Offer ends March 31st.