ReMix Reviews - Lack thereof?

WillRock

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, evktalo said:

Well, you obviously could!

Meanwhile, I was wondering if being able to login/register with social media accounts (Facebook, Twitter, Google+) would lower the barrier of contribution on the forums.

I second this. Even if I prefer to login with my OCR account, I'm pretty sure that'd be great to reach more people! :)

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/16/2015 at 11:55 PM, evktalo said:

Meanwhile, I was wondering if being able to login/register with social media accounts (Facebook, Twitter, Google+) would lower the barrier of contribution on the forums.

Thirded just cause free sample libraries have taught me how painful account-making renders some things.

On 12/16/2015 at 2:55 AM, evktalo said:

IPS does have this option. I believe to use it with Facebook you need to have an SSL cert issued by a trusted authority (i.e. not self-signed) - this is something we need, something our Patreon backers have made possible & less painful economically, and absolutely something we plan on doing, possibly as soon as next month!

On 10/27/2015 at 3:31 PM, WillRock said:

1: Why, if applicable, don't you comment on new mixposts on OCR?

2: How do you suggest the number of reviews is brought back up again?

1. Alot of the newer post are from games that I've never played, so I  am not familiar with the soundtrack.  And honestly, I'm to busy/lazy to go and find the original song and compare it to the remix.

2.  Stop posting the new mixes on YouTube.  This kind of sends the traffic there instead of OCR, and thats where many of the reviews end up going as well.  Reviews that the artist probably wont actually see.  Then, YouTube veiwers share the mix on their channel with their followers, and so forth.  The reviews/discussion of the original remix ends up being split up between a bunch of different videos being posted literally all over the internet. 

I know the idea is to bring recognition to OCR and the artist, but why come to OCR when i can just listen to a playlist on YT?

I say, if a mix is shared somewhere other than OCR, always link it back to this site.  Make people have to come here to listen and comment.

4 minutes ago, noTuX said:

1. Alot of the newer post are from games that I've never played, so I  am not familiar with the soundtrack.  And honestly, I'm to busy/lazy to go and find the original song and compare it to the remix.

2.  Stop posting the new mixes on YouTube.  This kind of sends the traffic there instead of OCR, and thats where many of the reviews end up going as well.  Reviews that the artist probably wont actually see.  Then, YouTube veiwers share the mix on their channel with their followers, and so forth.  The reviews/discussion of the original remix ends up being split up between a bunch of different videos being posted literally all over the internet. 

I know the idea is to bring recognition to OCR and the artist, but why come to OCR when i can just listen to a playlist on YT?

I say, if a mix is shared somewhere other than OCR, always link it back to this site.  Make people have to come here to listen and comment.

1. Well, you could also listen to the ReMix for the musicality of it, without comparing to the original if you don't want to.

2. Because OCR hosts it in higher bitrate and at its original volume. And you can then bring it with you even when you don't have internet where you are. :)

1 hour ago, The Coop said:

That would be nifty, but holy shit would that be a massive undertaking.

Yeah depends on how they did it. If they had to find an mp3 of each source, and upload it to youtube manually, I could see that taking a heck of a long time, and only getting harder as time goes on. They probably couldn't simple link existing ones due to the possibility of videos being removed, obnoxious uploader editing, or claims of some sort.

What would be cool though is if they used a simple embed player in the mixpost page for it, rather than trying to put it on youtube. Then they wouldn't have to worry about third party moderation and could put up whatever they wanted without fear of it being edited. The usage in the context of mixposts would probably be safe under fair use for educational purposes or some mumbo.

But even if they went the big route with youtube uploads and all that, it'd be fun, and surely it wouldn't be something they dumped on 1 guy. 

On ‎30‎/‎12‎/‎2015 at 7:09 AM, Brandon Strader said:

More reviews is better than less.. I do think it would be awesome if sources were put on mixpost pages too along with the download and the youtube preview :) 

9 hours ago, Liontamer said:

It's in the long-term plans. So maybe a few years from now, but something that's being worked towards via YouTube.

Maybe come to some agreement with VGMusic.com so that a link to a MIDI file (if there is one) could be included in the mixpost. Admittedly it's not an ideal situation (the listener would have to download the MIDI then manually play it themselves) but it might be useful as an interim while the whole YouTube thing is being worked out.

Edited by Trism

On 12/30/2015 at 6:54 PM, Liontamer said:

It's in the long-term plans. So maybe a few years from now, but something that's being worked towards via YouTube.

Hey, thanks for the answer Larry!  But isn't there some concern about Youtube? Most of the time whenever I make a list of sources many might get removed due to some copyright claim or other problem. Such as when you list sources for an album. Would OCR be able to upload the source for games in accordance with Fair Use so they would not get removed, would they be unlisted? Or what?  I am asking because I don't know how it would work.