OCR01576 - Castlevania: Symphony of the Night "Nothing but a Pile of Dance Moves!"

Listening to this, I'd say the drums are a bit too overwhelming. At several points they're drowning out the rest of the mix. I like a lot of the ideas presented here, but I just can't get past those drums. If the supporting percussion (shakers, tambourine, cymbals, whatever it all is) was turned down a bit I think I would find this much more enjoyable.

Overall well produced and catchy. I found that the way that either some instruments, or the track as a whole was compressed is somewhat distracting. I think I understand the sound you're going for, but to me it takes away from track.

I would have preferred hearing a more "open" version of the tune. Overall nice job, I can dig it..

from writeup: "the mix title alludes to a fairly AYBABTU quote from one of the game's scintillating dialog sequences."

One of the funny things about this is Dr. Acula is quoting a French author, Andre Malraux. So the writing is actually brilliant. Ok, it's still not brilliant, but still.

Anyway, as usual Noppz delivers. More SotN remixes please.

The answer is:

http://pics.livejournal.com/mrfurious/pic/0018bxd3

• 2 weeks later...

NoppZ delivers again. Right from the beginning, the track has this cheesy, but wonderful 70s disco feeling to it. The part starting at 1:36 adds even more cheese to it; awesome.

The strings at the end of the breakdown (up to 2:48 ) could be a little more powerful.

Very weird tempo change at appr. 3:00; however, it works really well with the source tune. Not as catchy as the first part, but close to the original song. Nice drums coming in at 4:06.

Here's to hope that NoppZ continues his output of amazingly well done songs in the future.

• 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I love the source on this, easily my favorite from the original soundtrack, which was actually the first original game soundtrack I bought (or maybe it was Xenogears. Whatever..)

Way overcompressed I think, but it's catchy as hell, which I suppose is a suitably appropriate way to describe such a mix, with the vampires and demons and all. Nice variation between the 2 sources, and the transition was drawn out long enough that it wasn't noticeably apparent until the shift had already occurred.

Arrangement-wise it's completely solid, with some great additional ideas thrown in, and a disco party beat to boot. You don't hear castlevania music arranged like this often, and it's really a cool direction for it to go in.

The only issues I have with it is production. It hurts to listen to for extended periods of time. :-(

• 1 year later...

Aww-Summ.

The whole jumping from idea to idea, tempo to tempo is very rarely pulled off as well as it is here. It's bizarre yet completely sensical at the same time. Strings and synths are sweet. Real sweet. The drums in the first third of the mix are somewhat fizzy, which I don't think sounds too hot. It doesn't kill the blazing heat of the mix though.

Basically, the mix is crrrazy good. Which is signifcantly higher regarded than regular, non-crrrazy good good. And NoppZ is godlike, in my view. One of his best.

• 6 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR01576 - Castlevania: Symphony of the Night "Nothing but a Pile of Dance Moves!"