Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
evanarnett

Search by genre

183 posts in this topic

Thanks for clarifying. Wonder where the hell I got that idea, then. :?

Also I wrote "final fantasty" and you guys didn't even notice. Lol

I'm going to assume my second question got lost in the discussion, so I'll ask again: is there a way right now to use the tags to search for mixes?

Also I wrote "final fantasty" and you guys didn't even notice. Lol

As a proficient Grammar Nazi, I noticed, but chose not to mention it because I gave up long ago on trying to grammar-nazi forumites. (No offense.)

I'm going to assume my second question got lost in the discussion, so I'll ask again: is there a way right now to use the tags to search for mixes?

If you click on the tags on the page that Liontamer posted, it will show you the list of all songs with that tag. We don't have capability to search on multiple tags yet (to my knowledge).

Thanks for clarifying. Wonder where the hell I got that idea, then. :?

Yeah, it's not like VGMix 1 or 2 ever used genre labels.

Yeah, it's not like VGMix 1 or 2 ever used genre labels.

X did, but only because it was a built-in functionality of the Jamroom software that they used.

Tags as they are right now are in sort of a temporary implementation. We're using the vBulletin's thread-tagging feature to tag the review threads for remixes.

Eventually, the tags will be transferred over to the site's database and integrated into the site proper, but at the moment, there is no timeline on this feature. So for now, just use the forum's tags.

while i NEVER use the genre tabs to sort music in my music players i would love to see some sort of filtering or tags for remixes by genre. not game genre but the type of remix it is. i say this because right now im obsessed with dubstep. so shoot me. i know its zelda's 25th this year and i should be collecting everything hyrulian from piano solos to swanky rupee jazz but really all i want right now is dirty coarse dubstep, and ill take it in the form of megaman, zelda, metroid or any other game ive never played. next month who knows maybe ill be into chiptunes or trance or metal and thell ill be trying once again to scrounge all the new songs i can that fit my particular mood. to be able to search for songs according to several advanced filtering options would seriously be supercool... and as always LOVE this site, and all you rediculously talented and generous people who can and do so much for this community. freaking thanks!

Just look for PrototypeRaptor.

From what I understand, the lack of these kinds of tags is to encourage people to listen to a variety of remixes instead of just those from one genre. Although I think that this is important, I also think that the addition of these tags would be beneficial for exactly the same reasons as neophytegod, and that people might actually be able to find more remixes in this way. I'm sure there are plenty of mixes that I'm missing out on because I don't have the time to wade through all of the ones that I don't particularly like. I also don't think that having the tags would necessarily limit people to only 1 genre. With the addition of the tags, you might see a genre that you don't know very well and decide to give it a try, or you might just not realize that there are mixes on the site in a particular genre.

Just some things to consider :)

Click the link Larry posted. There's been some genre tags in place for some time now.

... I also don't think that having the tags would necessarily limit people to only 1 genre...

yeah, i dont see this limiting people, not on a regular basis anyway. one night might be a certain genre tag but a week later i may browse by game, or artist or any number of things. i like to think of my music in terms of cravings and consumption, sometimes ill eat just about anything but some days i NEED that cheeseburger!

and sweet, thanks for the link liontamer

Click the link Larry posted. There's been some genre tags in place for some time now.

Haha, yeah I clicked on the link after I posted that XD

But yeah tbh the tags are really crap right now...I'm glad it's being worked on, but the way it is right now it's more or less unusable :(

First of all this website is amazing already. I can't imagine that this has not been suggested before, however I haven't found anything about it.

It would be easy to add an option to search for music in categories like metal, rock, piano, symphony, harmonic etc. Then you can find all piano tracks in a few clicks.

Disadvantage would be now that all other oploaded mp3's have to be edited..

So I'm not sure if it's a good idea, however maybe there is a work around?

Already asked by others and currently in the works. :-D

Why, exactly, does the site not have this feature? Remixes could be tagged with genre tags, like rock, chiptune, orchestral, jazz, and people could search for a certain genre, and everything with that tag would pop up. It would be an incredible task to add genres to all the songs, but I think it would probably be worth it. And then, of course for future submissions, genre tags could be a requirement.

It's in the FAQ,

http://ocremix.org/info/Frequently_Asked_Questions#Why_aren.27t_the_ReMixes_categorized_by_genre.2C_i.e._techno.2C_jazz.2C_orchestral.2C_etc..3F

There is however a tagging system going on that works a better for OCR, so you can tag remixes with guitar, or chiptune etc without clumsy genre shoving. I don't know too much about it, hopefully someone else will chip in.

Oh, I'm sorry, I didn't see that. The second reason is good, though the genre tagging system would fix the problem with the first. if a song has elements of multiple genres, it would be tagged with them. I still think searching by genre would be a great feature, but I understand the decision not to include it. There isn't much way around the second point, save for the fact that if someone who likes, say, dubstep, listens to a song that has jazz elements, and decides from there to check out songs that are more heavily influenced by jazz, and then discovers one with orchestral elements, and thing goes on to listen to more orchestral songs, then discovers orchestral rock, then regular rock, and blah blah blah, I'm sure you all get it.

Hi there!

That's my first time using the forum of OCR! This page is just beyond epicness, but I don't have to tell you guys ;)

The whole website is great... Did David or who ever manages this page ever thought about adding genre information to all the remixes?

At the moment, I can search and list for game titles, artist names and album titles... But It would a very good tool if you could filter all remixes by genres for example: rock-, electro-, chip tune or orchestral-remixes.

For example my self, I'm a big instrumental rock and metal remixes fan and its VERY hard to find songs in this style because you have ten thousand of remixes all over and for me... it's to hard. so because of that I'm maybe not the best visitor of ocremix.org although the page is beyond epicness...

I know it is ALOT of work to add this additional information to all songs, but maybe you can add it just on the new incomings? and adding the information to the old songs, step by step...

Or I'm the only one who need this? :S

Greetings from Switzerland!

Marc