Sign in to follow this  
evanarnett

Search by genre

Need to check 100% but pretty sure vb allows moderator creation of tags and approval of user-submitted tags. We'd start with tags created by myself & the panel and approve things that made sense. Alas, Mustin would not get his own tag.

or have some people who are allowed to delete tags.

having a jillion tags per song helps too, since the best ones will be repeated a lot. if you can only pick tags out of a group of them (like, ethnic, voice, jazz, strings, etc), that'd help too.

Speaking of which what if something was in place that only displayed the tags with the highest repeated usage? In other words if the majority of people tag a song a particular tag (500+ tags) and you end up with the occasional jackass who throws a J-pop tag on a clearly classical song it won't flag the song as such on the tag search engine or what not?

Hmmm.. Y'know this made more sense when I was saying it in my head... :|

...and approve things that made sense. Alas, Mustin would not get his own tag.

I'm sorry, how does that NOT make sense? :P

[goes back to his "Gigasamples," of which he has zero of]

People are scared that if you tag the music everybody would go straight to trance or rock and avoid the country and such.

Way too much of that around.

As an outstanding coincidence, I just today rediscovered and put on repeat the awesomeness of http://www.ocremix.org/remix/OCR01702/. Unless the tag would be Mazedude's review then it would be wrong.

I don't see the helpfulness of tags, but as long as they aren't in-your-face like they are at remix.thasauce then I think most listeners (I can't speak for remixers, of course) would be ok with their addition. I'd still very much like a way to disable them if they do get added.

It was an example.

The real reason there are no tags is...

tagging the music would mean no one would listen to djp's "hillbilly" remix.

P.S. - I love that I'm my own genre hahaha

I am glad someone noticed this at all, given the way this thread has gone.

The fact that you yourself clicked on the thread and were the first to notice it, however, truly makes my day.

@ DJPretzel: Glad to hear you guys are working on a possible solution. For what it's worth, even though I promised myself I would stop listening to the hillbilly mix, I go back to it every couple of months and play it like 5 times in a row. Willingly, even though I know it will get stuck in my head. And then after embarrassing myself for a few days at work, in the store, while driving, and anywhere else I might accidentally singing to myself I once again promise not to listen to it... for a while.

Seriously it's one of the catchiest mixes, and it always starts a conversation. :)

e

edit: making Mustin his own genre was a serious suggestion.

I can hardly express how much I support the idea of having some kind of tagging system. It's great when you have memorized a bunch of songs you want to listen to, but I will very often get in the mood for piano, and have only a few mixes that come up when I search for piano (ie, they have piano somewhere in their title), but being able to see a list of mixes that predominantly feature a given instrument... I would listen to remixes WAY more often.

I think a tagging system would really help people like me (the musically disinclined), who don't have the desire/patience/know-how to make music, to really contribute to the remixing community. Sure there is a forum here which people can throw out their nonsensical ramblings, but this would really encourage more participation in the music part of the site.

In summary, I don't even really care if regular users are allowed to add/edit tags. Mostly I would like to see some kind of organization system will allow one to browse the instrumental content. I could care less what genre it is, but sometimes I wanna hear guitars, and sometimes I want to hear piano.

OK. End of spiel.

My daughter has a 'Farm Animals' toy with small animals that make noises when pressed...

The sheep noise is almost identical to the Hillbilly remix and I cannot help but hear DJP say "Hey bubba!" every time she presses it.

Just noting that that list is not complete, and we're not looking for suggestions until we fully populate the list with the tags we've come up with. As you may be able to see, we're going beyond genre to come up with a broader set of tags that are more useful.

After we finish the first pass, I definitely want to get people to come up with new tags for us and double-check certain things. I think already we're missing some mood tags that could be good to have.

After we finish the first pass, I definitely want to get people to come up with new tags for us and double-check certain things. I think already we're missing some mood tags that could be good to have.

Just wanna emphasize this:

Wait until we're done before you people start making suggestions. :whatevaa:

this could wind up being pretty awesome.

Yes it could. I can see this coming in very handy for people who are new to the site, and frankly I like out it routes people to the reviews.

Anyone want a kudo?

What is this threads tagging business? Have we finally succumbed to the general public's cravings to be able to browse mixes by genre? I seem to be able to find rock remixes by finding a thread with a "rock" tag in the reviews forum...

http://www.ocremix.org/forums/tags.php?tag=rock

I don't care, personally, but if this is an unwanted side effect of an otherwise very useful feature...

We're were against doing genres, then we realized we could make tagging more powerful than that. So we decided to keep the genres pretty broad and not use that as the only classification. We'll eventually tags all of the ReMixes. Enjoy.

You can also help out the staff and tag a couple of remixes yourself (though keep in mind that only existing tags can be used). I've been doing that with a number of tracks since the feature first rolled out.

I have a question:

Is there an option here on OC ReMix where you can search songs by genre? I know you can search by artist, game and composer.

But what if I like how one song sounds like, and want to hear others like it?

Does this site have it this option?:?: