PDA

View Full Version : OCR00110 - Sonic the Hedgehog 2 'Chemical Juice'

Jivemaster
05-10-2002, 11:48 PM
Sonic the Hedgehog 2 'Chemical Juice'

Arrh, Chemical Juice - my (Jivemaster) first mix which consequently got me on OCR and started all this crazy sheeit. The mix starts out with some fast right panned high hats which I used to give the song more pace. Mainly synth orientated here, with a bass like synth replacing the main lead from the original song, a fairly low-profile bass backing everything up and a bunch of synth stacks and reverberating blippy synths accompanying the main melody. I didn't try to go very far away from the original song, mainly sticking to the original tune and adding in the occasional drum stop. Near the end I try to spice it up a bit by adding in a bit of an outro by using existing elements from the song. Overall the mix is not too long, and I think I stopped just in time to avoid it becoming boring. Quite minimal, but concerning the circumstances I think it turned out pretty ok.

mechanicaldeathegg
09-25-2002, 07:01 AM
although i am a fan of Jivemaster.... this has to be um .....well.. the song is ok.. i guess.. :?

DJ_Aquagenesis
03-01-2003, 02:00 PM
missing, a strong bass! that synthbassdark doesnt fit in this one in my opinion

WarpZone
05-04-2003, 09:35 AM
Ohhh yeah! This is the shiz-huh-ziz-nah-kuh-hitz. Did I add enough extra sylables to the word "shit" to adequately convey how impressed I am with this mix? No? Add a gah-hiz in there somewhere.

I like music that I could actually picture playing the original game to. Well, really this one made me think of Sonic Adventure, but that's still good enough. Gotta love the sets of "DAA DAA DA!" just before the song loops! That's some good sonic! :D

AaronHorrocks
06-10-2003, 12:07 AM
Jivemaster, YOU ARE THE BEST! This Sonic remix, is by far the greatest, and freaking rocks. I had to put this on a CD so i can thump it while driving to work to wake me up. It's impossible not to see the chemical plant and the bubbling chemicals when playing the tune.

It's by far the most awesome sonic remix out there. My only complaint is that it's just 2:48 long, not quite enough! Please make some more mixes from the sonic series. It's pretty much the only games I played on the Sega thanks to my cheap parents growning up, but i think they were the best made games out there anyway.

Some work I'd like to see you do is the 'boss music' 'green hill' 'ice cap' and pretty much anything with the little blue guy. Thanks for your great work, and i hope to see more of it.

Master X
06-20-2003, 08:45 PM
Jive, this is fucking awesome. Dum-dum, wudaludum, dum-de-dum-d'dum. I've hummed this all damn day...

Snyderman
07-16-2003, 11:15 PM
Personally, although I like a lot of Jivemaster's tracks, I find this one to be fairly average. It sounds way too similar to the original, even in the instrument choice. I'm not saying it's a bad remix, I enjoy it quite a bit, but it stays way too close to the original for me to even notice many differences.

I'm actually surprised Jivemaster is the only one who touched Chemical Plant Zone, this is a great track from Sonic, yet all the love goes to Ice Cap Zone?

dekerd
07-19-2003, 01:44 AM
I like this remix, except by making the main riff so low and bassy (you can hardly hear it), you lose the natural progression of the tune, so it just sounds like the background beat and riff playing nonstop, which isn't very exciting. Why did you put the main riff so low end? It sounds awkward.

AnimateDream
08-17-2003, 07:27 AM
I really like the drums but has any one heard the original song? The original track was awesome to begin with. This version stripped out a lot of the melody that really should have been left in, in my honest opinion. Still the finished product is very good. However I maintain a sort of remix of your remix could make an already great song into something fantastic.

Ticadrius
08-17-2003, 06:27 PM
Well, this was the first Jive song I heard, so I didn't think it was too bad.

Repetetive? Perhaps, but with this song it didn't really bug me that much. I've been a big fan of Sonic 2 and crave more Sonic 2 remixes, so, for me, this was nice to see. I listen to it in the car every now and again with max bass, albeit the bass in that song isn't complicated.

I enjoy the song. Jive's best? No. But still worth a listen.

DarkLion
12-23-2003, 04:34 PM
That shit hit me hard from the get go. I love that song in sonic 2. To bad it can't be the theme When U go Super sonic. every time i hear this song I have to Pick up sonic 2 and give the stage A spin. Great JOP! !0/10

Reflex
02-04-2004, 08:54 AM
I love the original of this song, Jive's seems to be a little too similer, it needs a heavy bass like someone else said.

SilverTriNova
02-04-2004, 04:26 PM
I love the original of this song, Jive's seems to be a little too similer, it needs a heavy bass like someone else said.

The bass (somewhat backgroundish type) tune was really good in the original song. I felt that it needed to be brought out more.

Linearity
07-15-2004, 06:37 AM
Chemical Plant's BGM is one I often hum to myself. I like the sawtooth chords bassline as they do better what the original did so well. I didn't like that the melody was stuck way at the bottom bands though; it gets lost in the fray, and I liked the sharp, up-front melody of the original. It really rocks, but its place is up top, not in the bass.

AncientSage
07-15-2004, 03:28 PM
This does sound very close to the original, but the instrumentation makes it much better I think. I very much enjoy this remix.

Numiso13
07-18-2004, 02:17 PM
Is it just me, or does this track seem to be taken from an 80's workout video? But that's not a bad thing. I actually enjoyed this remix a lot. The only thing I can complain about its a little repetitive. But I guess that's half the point of techno music anyway.

sainthal
07-25-2004, 07:29 PM
I've been looping this for 2 days now. It's the greatest Sonic 2 remix I've ever heard. Please keep making more.

Txai
01-02-2005, 04:47 PM
The people perceived the details early. Is unnecessary to judge this material. Nice work, man!

supertrunkten
02-18-2005, 09:10 PM
The first 9 seconds of this (the beat) made this song cool! Overall I loved this song originally. :)

BlueMage
02-19-2005, 01:53 AM
Can't say I was really liking this mix the first time I listened to it....but then I listened to it again, and again, and once more for good measure. And lo, I discovered I did actually like it. And so now, whenever it pops up in my now playing section, I just up the volume.

Kudos to a fellow Australian.

DJ Skratch 'n' Sniff
02-19-2005, 09:22 AM
I'm beginning to think that people on this board don't like saying anything bad.
I really enjoyed the original song. It was catchy, fun and always reminds me of doing
loop-dee-loops at a hundred miles an hour.
This mix: took a boring, predictable breakbeat and just looped it for the whole damn song.
Also: what's with this distorted bass synth instead of the wailing midi guitar? Ick, by the way.
So little care and effort went into this.

Wintermute
03-30-2005, 01:13 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't there another Chemical Zone remix on this site at one time? I seem to remember it being my favorite remix on this site a while back, and I just recently went to download it again, and it wasn't there.

or maybe I'm thinking of a different remix? Any other old timers wanna help me out? I seem to remember it totally fricken rocking. Not this remix, that is. :)

Jivemaster
04-03-2005, 12:31 AM
Well Skunk Face and Wintermute, of course the mix is pretty crappy - it was mix 110, and my first remix after all! If you were actually here at OCR back in the day of the old, old, old, old forums and no judges, you'd realise that basically every mix released was not exactly the most exciting piece of music material on the planet.

See it in context people 8)

-Jive

Kilron
05-05-2005, 10:17 PM
I really liked the first bits of the song right up until it really got into it. Then I was a little disappointed. It's still pretty good, but my favorite parts of the original were kinda ruined. Then again I've never remixed a tune before, so I guess I can't say TOO much until I make one.

Royal Sovereign
07-22-2005, 04:17 PM
Anytime that someone turns a "Sonic" song into a dance anthem, it's worthy of undue praise -- and this is, most definetly, worthy of undue praise!

Excellent bassline, effective use of the original melody, while still being true to the derivative source-material

Very nice stuff!!

HOLY SHIT IT'S MY 100TH POST! WHOOOOOA!

28 Percent Will Do Fine
08-24-2005, 03:43 PM
Not bad. Not bad at all. The looping of the drum gives a sort of 'happy' feel to it. I like it when the drums cut at 1:50 and 2:40. Unfortuneatly, the drums don't seem to vary a lot. If there were a few different loops in the mix, it may be improved. 9/10

FinalGamer
01-12-2006, 06:56 PM
Very nice, techno/trance, works very well with this song, a definite choice to listen to.

emongev
07-23-2006, 12:25 AM
nice song overall, but i have to agree i didnt like the fact that the original melody became almost subliminal

Chickenwarlord
07-25-2006, 07:14 AM
Blah... I listened to this on my IPod whilst playing Chemical Plant Zone, so that my parents wouldn't yell at me to turn the sound down. I have to say, while I like the original, I think the volumes and emphasis are just a tad off in this incarnation. I can't put my finger on it, but there is one instrument that just doesn't belong in this mix.
I like the bouncy feel of the original a bit more.

azrane
09-01-2006, 07:10 PM
I'm sorry but I just don't like this... It sounds like a midi was imported into FL Studio, using primarily 3xOSCs with default presets. Having said that, it also sounds like very little was done to consider it a 'remix.'

The bass needs to be boosted way up, I can barely hear it. I need to be able to feel it with my subwoofer. Need to rethink the hihats used, they overshadow everything but the main synth. Maybe use closed hats. And sounds like a Pilch bass preset on the bg synth. Ugh.

Two things, I believe I like in this track. One, the drums (outside of that hats). Two, it still has somewhat of a feel for the original.

Changing the end of the track doesn't make it a remix.

Sorry if I hurt your feelings, but it's my honest opinion on the matter.

Andy Parka
09-09-2006, 07:30 AM
I'de have to agree with all of the bad reviews, especially azrane's. Its way too mutch like the origonal. Listen to other remixes and what they do, insted of having the origonal with different sounds, mix it up, add your own synth line or somthing and lern how to use a mixer.

MagFlare
09-10-2006, 11:18 AM
I think that Jivemaster's more recent mixes - you know, the stuff he's done within the past six years - amply demonstrate that he's learned how to use a mixer. By all means, criticize the remix... but realize that the remixer has progressed considerably since then.

That said, I'm down with Chemical Juice. It's extremely reminiscent of the original, true, but that just ramps up the all-important nostalgia factor.

Liontamer
09-10-2006, 05:46 PM
I'de have to agree with all of the bad reviews, especially azrane's. Its way too mutch like the origonal. Listen to other remixes and what they do, insted of having the origonal with different sounds, mix it up, add your own synth line or somthing and lern how to use a mixer.
Yeah, way to look at the date of creation. :lol:

Andy Parka
09-11-2006, 08:48 AM
SORRY :!: I DIDN'T KNOW :!: and when I said other remixes I didn't just mean other remixes of Chemical plant, I meant all other remixes of the sonic games.

KogeJoe
01-28-2007, 05:19 AM
Hearing the melodie in an almost inaudible bass patch is annoying as all fuck.

MechaFone
11-24-2009, 01:55 AM
I've been going through my OCR collection. While the complaints I had for this song were with just the main melody being that low pitch, I do understand that this song was created a long time ago, in Jive's early career.
This song was one of few that got me listening here on overclocked remix. For me, it is iconic. The percussion and the pace of this song hold legendary status in my memories and will for as long as I live.
Kudos, jivemaster.

OA
12-08-2009, 03:08 PM
Pretty rocking for an older OCR track groovewise..at least at the beginning. By the end the loop wears a bit thin. I'm not sure what the melody is doing down in such a low octave; can't say that it's really being done any favors, and the arrangement is way conservative, but it's a cool time capsule, and the first Sonic 2 mix on the site deserves some recognition regardless.