OCR02239 - Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island "Facing Fears"

At least Ben & Drew have chipped in...

Nice pun! :-P

Also, awesome mix, I love how you guys can work sfx in a way that totally flows with the rest of the instruments, you don't just throw them in as filler for the intro/transitions... shows a really great understanding of music, I think.

Been waiting for this one to get posted for a long time, glad to finally see it happen :-D

Oh yes, I remember this one from the WIP forum ages ago. In fact, just a few days ago I was wondering if you guys submit this one. Very awesome track here - it has a great balance of cheese synths and awesome soundscape. You gotta love stuff like this, with all the chiptunage, sound effect, intricate soundscape. Just... it's just good stuff, here.

BTW, the meter change at the end seemed to be building to a very interesting groove. Shame you guys decided to just cut the song off there.

I'm impressed, as always. I still have a file from when it was a work in progress....

I particularly enjoyed the use of Boo and Yoshi sounds in the middle portion. And I also enjoyed the creative time change at the end.

But I must ask, some of the sounds (Yoshi's in particular) didn't sound like they came from SMW2. Am I hearing correctly?

Good work!

yes you are

we used some of the n64-era sound effects as well which were used in the GBA port of yoshi's island

The game in question is called Yoshi's Story. Cute game, if INCREDIBLY short and simple.

I've fallen in love with Insert Rupee all over again. I love Yoshi's Island as a game, and the music is to die for. WHY AREN'T THERE MORE REMIXES, PEOPLE?!

First Review! :tomatoface:

Now that thats taken care of...Really enjoyed the mix; the style change at around 1:17ish and the time change at the 4/4 at the end really made it for me. Production and sounds are great (as always)and theres really no reason to not download this right now. Seriously. Do it.

Also, does anyone else think the intro sounds sort of like the Forest Temple from Ocarina of Time (namely 0:03 to 0:07)?

Anyways, great mix! Thanks for posting.

• 3 weeks later...

I remember this as a WIP that Briggs pointed out to me when I said I hated the Zelda low heart and Baby Mario's crying SFX. Anyway, glad to see it pass the judges and hit the front page. Now I have heard two horrible SFX's put in great ReMixes, which is astounding. The middle section with the boos and count down was impressive. I think the chip-tuneiness keeps the charm of the original while expanding and reorganizing the sound. And yes, the site could always use more SMW2 ReMixes.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

When I read djp's write-up, in particular the part about baby Mario's cries, I thought that the remix would annoy me out of my mind.

Turns out, it's not that bad. The sample fits right in with the rest of the remix, which itself does an absolutely amazing job at keeping true to the source material. The only part where the baby Mario sample becomes a little annoying is around 1:50, but even there, the slow move from left to right is rather awesome.

Good stuff, as usual.

Also, more SMW2 mixes, please.

• 5 months later...

I find it amusing that those baby cries in the beginning sound similar to monkeys calling out.

I always welcome more Yoshi's Island love though - the Ben & Drew duo does a solid job here, although I think some of their latest work trumps this. It's a fun short listen though, and I love the judicious use of the sound effects from the game. I think it would've been really nice if the Kamek & then the miniboss themes were done afterwards, it would make for a sweet medley!

• 2 weeks later...

This game was by far my favorite Super Nintendo game. I loved the music, the gameplay, and the story. Heck, at the time I even loved the graphics. I used to play that game over and over when I was little xD ah memories...besides that good job on the mix. I love the boos laughter and Mario's cry mixed in.

• 3 years later...
  • 4 years later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR02239 - Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island "Facing Fears"