ANNUAL FUNDRAISER!! Help us take OCR to the next level by supporting us on patreon

Sponsors: Bart Verbeek, Cynical Brit, Matt (aka Antidragon), Michael Beauchamp, Wesley "Bahamut" Cho.. + hundreds of supporters! Thanks!!

Old 11-04-2006, 05:53 AM
Red Mage (+400)

Send a message via AIM to Audity
The reverse cymbal near the beginning is too trebley for headphones (and speakers?), and it's all in the right ear for some reason. Makes me have to turn the whole song down. Though luckily I can still enjoy it with headphones, unlike Protricity's ZAMN mix.

Besides that, this mix is so much of a mixed bag it's insane. With so much "experimentation" with the chords in the song, teamed up with the very beauty-flowing original as the base for interpretation, half the time it sounds like the best song ever created, and the other half is just interesting or decently good (or bad, depending on your tastes). Recently I've been thinking about how I love parts of songs which seem like they're going into a strange chord progression, but then resolve the final chord in the phrase in a way that sounds completely new and pretty. And this arrangement has quite a bit of that.

One thing very true is: a bit too short. In a way it sounds like a song that I would make since I never build anything up. Always gogogo to the next section.

Wow. Upon first listen I thought the electric guitar in the 2nd half was annoying. But now I really understand it, along with the whole song. I think most people would have very expected thoughts for a remix of this original, like "wait why is electric guitar in this", so it's very hard to listen to at first. I even thought, during the opening of the song, the drums were pretty basic upon first listen, and that they could have been done without. But now, and by now I mean a simple 15 minutes later, it's perfectly natural.

However, while I now understand everything for this particular arrangement, I still wish different ideas could be done with this song. Since it's so short and concise, I think it's missing out on some other very nice interpretations upon the very interpretive source song. Also, as it is now, there's less time to enjoy a very nice idea. I think I need to stop listening to this for today. Everything seems too natural now and less mysterious! Very Ni...wait I've said that like 5 times now.

this is Flik eating a happy cookie
Sponsored Links

Please register to remove the above advertisement.
Old 11-04-2006, 12:58 PM
Dark Force (+9000)

The thought of adding an guitars and drums to Via Purifico has never struck my mind, I always felt that the piano in the original song was so beautiful that it didn't need to be changed. Boy, was I wrong. :[

The instruments that has been added to this new creation was fine by me, but I kind of jumped in my chair when pixie's voice entered the stage. I was expecting lyrics, but I never expected that pixie would make an opera piece. Fabulous!

Sig_Shoppe
Old 11-04-2006, 01:30 PM

More FFX goodness, within the space of...a week or two, I think it was. "Oh boy!" was my reaction. To the title. To the piece...wow. I am staggered that anyone would attempt to remix Via Purifico, since though I lack proper musical knowledge it seems, well, complicated. And even supposing one were to put it on the table, I at least would have no idea what to do with it. But this more than works. Like I said: wow. I think one of the bravest things would be assigning a baseline to it, since that (at least to me--one of my ears always seems tuned to the bass more than anything else) seems the clearest, most immediate statement that "yup, this song's gonna be different, just you wait." Once you have made that statement, then the ear of the listener is then straining for more variation and newness. Which you provide in abundance, titillatingly. Bravo.
Old 11-04-2006, 03:41 PM
Strider Hiryu (+5000)

This piece has that mellow feel to it that I loved while listening to Megaman 2 Chillout. Via Purifico is one of my favorite FFX pieces and I love the way it was rendered in this mix. Everything about the mix just seemed to fit, and yes, like others have said, very complex.

Awesome.
Old 11-04-2006, 04:02 PM
Octorok (+200)

The guitar was slightly lame in lacking precision.

The vocals were perfect.

Pretty good mix.
Old 11-04-2006, 06:51 PM
Philip Schwan
Goomba (+100)
OC ReMix Artist Profile

Thanks for the feedback, I really owe it to TO for his excellent work on the drums and Pixietricks insanely attractive voice, both did a great job pulling the song through the stages. Just to clarify, I did the arrangement, and recorded the piano, guitar and sequenced everything else.

Regarding the guitar, I don't usually record the electric and I'm not the eldest or most accomplished guitarist here, but let's not get picky, not all mixes ya hear include both acoustic and electric guitar; and if you like it, we're friends I'm still playing religiously and it's been at least 6 months since I recorded this song, so expect more from me, and sufficient precision to wag your tail at.

Also, if anyone wants tabs I can provide them, you just need to be able to play bar chords.
Old 11-04-2006, 07:16 PM
Deia Vengen, Judge, Unsung Heroes Asst. Director
Bonus-Kun (+3000)
OC ReMix Artist Profile

Quality work from all collaborators. Good job on this one.
Old 11-04-2006, 10:00 PM
Dan Hibiki (+50)

vocals feel out of place. well done, but highly unnecessary, imo. song is otherwise very good.
Old 11-04-2006, 10:09 PM
Chrono (+800)

I love the beat and the mix of instruments you have playing on this mix. And pixietrick's vocals do an awesome job of maintaining that haunting beauty even around that guitar, especially during the key change at around 2:40. Well done guys, keep it up!

Sig by TriforceStealer
YouTube - Lady Game Lyric Twitter Facebook
Old 11-04-2006, 10:27 PM
Snacks 'N Jaxson (+25)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tepid
Also, if anyone wants tabs I can provide them, you just need to be able to play bar chords.
I wouldn't seeing the piano score too, if that is possible.
Great mix by the way, really loved the way every other note sounded wrong, but it all works out great in the end.

Tags
electric-guitar, piano, singing, strings, vocals-female