Super Smash Bros Brawl

Arek the Absolute

A wise man once said: Tier lists represent which characters are being used and winning in tournaments. As time goes on, they do tend to be revised as more of the metagame is uncovered, but all they represent is which characters are used for winning tournaments. They may or may not reflect who is a good character.

I agree with you 100%.

Meh I lose interest in brawl. I play aggressive, I can be pretty good, I play Luigi mostly and he takes advantage of brawl mechanics pretty well. But the game is campy, lack of speed in the fights. It just doesn't look as flashy without the combos of the other two games. I play Sheik a bit, because she's fast and can look pretty good, but it's not enough.

I'm interested in this "Brawl+" stuff. Soft-mod homebrew channel hacks. Just L-cancelling and making it so you can't airdodge/attack extra early out of hitstun would be enough for me. I mean, I still want to be playing BRAWL, just a faster and flashier version. Wario is cool, cause he's just one of those characters who still manages to do that at a high tier in Brawl mechanics. But he's by far in the minority.

Not sure if that's going to come out of "Brawl+". It's not exactly being done by pros and might not carry the weight to be adopted for tournament stuff because of it. But maybe for myself w/ friends I play that way.

I'm interested in this "Brawl+" stuff. Soft-mod homebrew channel hacks. Just L-cancelling and making it so you can't airdodge/attack extra early out of hitstun would be enough for me. I mean, I still want to be playing BRAWL, just a faster and flashier version. Wario is cool, cause he's just one of those characters who still manages to do that at a high tier in Brawl mechanics. But he's by far in the minority.

Not sure if that's going to come out of "Brawl+". It's not exactly being done by pros and might not carry the weight to be adopted for tournament stuff because of it. But maybe for myself w/ friends I play that way.

I hope they decide to keep Brawl's airdodge. IMO wavedashing is a mechanic that should stay in Melee. I'm also very interested in the hacking going on though -- any word on if they have managed to find a way around Nintendo's latest update (for those of us who haven't installed things yet)?

Meh I lose interest in brawl. I play aggressive, I can be pretty good, I play Luigi mostly and he takes advantage of brawl mechanics pretty well. But the game is campy, lack of speed in the fights. It just doesn't look as flashy without the combos of the other two games. I play Sheik a bit, because she's fast and can look pretty good, but it's not enough.

Mirror match me

asap

luigi vs luigi

"BECAUSE THERE BASICALLY IS NONE."

I'm pretty sure I still covered the most ground. Hitting block is not that good of an impressive technical ability.

itt, GT plays the role of grumpy old man.

a grumpy old man, that we all have the utmost respect for :)

Haha, I actually love Luigi. I mained him for a time in Melee, but his recovery was just so bad.

QFT

ARGH, WHEN I FINISH MY STUPID TERM PROJECTS, I AM PLAYING SO MUCH MELEE!

guys, i have a problem

there's someone in my immediate smash crew who take the game entirely too seriously. he's good, in fact, really good--he came in seventh at a recent tourney in ohio, pretty big with about 60+ people.

anyway, a few months ago we had a small tourney which i co-organized and happen to win, and he drew a fuss about how it was rigged. suffice to say, it wasn't, we even played three times and i beat him 2/3. we had another tourney this saturday and we played three matches--his MK vs my DDD on brinstar, his diddy vs. DDD on smashville, and diddy vs. DDD on FD.

i won the first match, and he said his controller was busted and making him glide when he didn't want to, even though it belonged to the guy that ended up winning the tourney. whatever, controller johns.

i won the second by being a very, very gay DDD. i was trying to be aggressive and was walking right into 50%+ combos from him with the naners, so i switched my game up and camped the moving platform. he had no clue what to do, so i won again. he complains that there should've been a time limit at the tourney, well guess what, there wasn't. no johns.

i won the third, too. diddy vs. DDD is a nightmare matchup on FD, but i just played super defensive and gimped him once or twice and beat him in a really close match, came down to a tipped bair as he just flew into my range.

point is, he's taken it very badly. he apparently hates me as a person now, whines about us making lighthearted fun of his usage of MK, says he's a much better player than i am simply because he goes to real tourneys (even though i've won 5/6 matches that we've had and he's never, ever beaten my main), he even went home and CRIED after this tourney.

he's constantly bugging me for money matches of ridiculous importance, things like $10 and $20 on one match, like he's got something huge to prove. i don't think he's a bad player, but he's got these deep-rooted insecurities that will not be calmed until he beats me just once. all of my encounters with him are incredibly uncomfortable because he doesn't tell ME any of this, only our mutual buddies

anyway, i have never ever known this shit actually happens. this is so cartoonish and i am sorry to say that i have no clue how to deal with it.

I hope they decide to keep Brawl's airdodge. IMO wavedashing is a mechanic that should stay in Melee. I'm also very interested in the hacking going on though -- any word on if they have managed to find a way around Nintendo's latest update (for those of us who haven't installed things yet)?

Yes, they found a way around the latest update. I think the new version simply can be installed anyway and you don't even have to do anything extra.

Luigi dittos are gay. Really.

Also, stop copying all of my mains.

guys, i have a problem

there's someone in my immediate smash crew who take the game entirely too seriously. he's good, in fact, really good--he came in seventh at a recent tourney in ohio, pretty big with about 60+ people.

anyway, a few months ago we had a small tourney which i co-organized and happen to win, and he drew a fuss about how it was rigged. suffice to say, it wasn't, we even played three times and i beat him 2/3. we had another tourney this saturday and we played three matches--his MK vs my DDD on brinstar, his diddy vs. DDD on smashville, and diddy vs. DDD on FD.

i won the first match, and he said his controller was busted and making him glide when he didn't want to, even though it belonged to the guy that ended up winning the tourney. whatever, controller johns.

i won the second by being a very, very gay DDD. i was trying to be aggressive and was walking right into 50%+ combos from him with the naners, so i switched my game up and camped the moving platform. he had no clue what to do, so i won again. he complains that there should've been a time limit at the tourney, well guess what, there wasn't. no johns.

i won the third, too. diddy vs. DDD is a nightmare matchup on FD, but i just played super defensive and gimped him once or twice and beat him in a really close match, came down to a tipped bair as he just flew into my range.

point is, he's taken it very badly. he apparently hates me as a person now, whines about us making lighthearted fun of his usage of MK, says he's a much better player than i am simply because he goes to real tourneys (even though i've won 5/6 matches that we've had and he's never, ever beaten my main), he even went home and CRIED after this tourney.

he's constantly bugging me for money matches of ridiculous importance, things like $10 and $20 on one match, like he's got something huge to prove. i don't think he's a bad player, but he's got these deep-rooted insecurities that will not be calmed until he beats me just once. all of my encounters with him are incredibly uncomfortable because he doesn't tell ME any of this, only our mutual buddies

anyway, i have never ever known this shit actually happens. this is so cartoonish and i am sorry to say that i have no clue how to deal with it.

Honestly, I suggest you just ignore it, and continue to beat him in friendlies until he either beats you or realizes that no one gives a damn. For gods sake, don't mm him $20-$30. This isn't marvel :(

guys, i have a problem

i think it is the ultmate test of skill to face the bananas on fd with a character that takes up a twentieth of the stage, much more to win that match.

but i have a friend like this, who bitches about controllers and whatnot

but he wins most of the time that faggot. he keeps using fag characters like toon link and Zamus and i chug along with my low tier lucas eating his bullshit SO HES THE BITCH HAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAA

yeah honestly, i've got a three year anniversary/birthday/christmas to worry about, fuck a huge MM

and i know that if i lose (which i very well could, like i said, he ISN'T BAD), i'd never ever hear the end of it.

it's just weird because everyone else in our group is really level-headed about this sort of thing (except for one who is all 'oh man, i'm so tired, i didn't sleep last night lolol' every single time he loses) , i have no idea where this aggression is coming from?

the first time we ever played, i was still a lucas main and he played IC's. i told him he had a really good IC game, he said i was a good lucas and we were fine. then everything got messed up at that first tourney?

dude takes this shit way too seriously

i dont think he should go calling something rigged when you definitely beat him

just ignore him

he sounds kinda crazy if he is going to go mm crazy on you

i get mm every now and then at tournies but those are out of respect

this dude is out ot prove a point that isn't needed to even be proven

yo!!

heres my first internet video of me battling

im playing my faggot ninja friend who likes fast characters and combos and good lolz

not a very good one as far as fighting, but the best quality i have on my computer...

http://www.megavideo.com/?v=OA99J9DD

it would have been on youtube, but it didnt upload at all there for some reason.

does anyone know how i can parse megavideo links?

anyway CRITIQUE ME

You know what really cheeses people like that off? Agree to play them, like it's some huge big thing like, "Ok you can get your revenge" blah blah blah, then completely throw the match. Don't even bother playing hard. Talk to your friend and look away from the screen constantly. Play with one hand. Make them see that if they're gonna be a whiny bitch about playing you, that you aren't even going to dignify it with an effort playing them.