ASK A JUDGE: While we're busy NOT voting - your questions, we want 'em

Liontamer

Question about outside sources and sampling. What is the current policy on inclusion of samples from things other than the game? I know of numerous examples where it is allowed (explicit example being "31 Seconds" by John Revoredo). However, I also have seen a few examples where it was not allowed (OCR00223 - Super Mario 64 'Haunted Hell (IncuCujoKondoD.Bros. Mix)', removed citing that as part of the reason).

I'm assuming that it is allowed as long as it is not a majority composition element in the mix, correct? If this question has already been answered, my apologies.

Question about outside sources and sampling. What is the current policy on inclusion of samples from things other than the game? I know of numerous examples where it is allowed (explicit example being "31 Seconds" by John Revoredo). However, I also have seen a few examples where it was not allowed (OCR00223 - Super Mario 64 'Haunted Hell (IncuCujoKondoD.Bros. Mix)', removed citing that as part of the reason).

I'm assuming that it is allowed as long as it is not a majority composition element in the mix, correct? If this question has already been answered, my apologies.

Yeah, depends on prominence and amount of sampling. I don't think we have any hard and fast rule about it.

Agreed with Vinnie that it's case-by-case, but re: Haunted Hell, removing that mix had less to do with the outside sampling, and more to do with using the original game audio, as opposed to re-arranging it. The Fight Club music sampling didn't help either. Basically direct audio sampling of any kind needs to be sparing, but SFX and spoken word stuff is generally fine. When direct audio sampling of VGM or outside music becomes a foundation of the track, then it becomes problematic.

http://ocremix.org/forums/showthread.php?t=31408

Saw this today and was wondering why it was no override, i've never seen it used for any other reason than it violating the standards, which is how rozovian said it was used in an earlier post. Is it used when remixes clearly aren't up to standard as well? or was there something else i've missed?

I felt it was at so low of a level that it should not have been paneled, that's correct. Any additional vote(s) would have been a total waste of time.

Emphasis mine.

That is pretty insulting to the artist, IMO. Oftentimes I will send something that would be a definite 3-NO to the panel anyways to give the artist a more detailed look on what they can be doing better besides the straightforward form letter information. I understand the judges panel is in place specifically to keep the integrity of the site's output intact, but helping aspiring ReMixers out is never a waste of time. The exception would maybe be if they refuse to learn or listen to critique, and based on a simple submission without any context, is impossible to decide.

Obviously it's never a waste of time to help ReMixers if you put it that way, but we can't even give timely feedback on the mixes we DO panel. That's why mixes get direct rejected... because we don't have time. A DR is perhaps more insulting than getting a N.O. vote because at least with the latter they're getting at least some more specific feedback. Because this particular mix was so far below the bar, I felt that the two votes it already had were more than enough. After listening to probably 500+ subs I feel pretty good about my ability to know when something should have been in that DR pile. Anyway, since this is more an internal point of contention I'm happy to keep discussing it via IRC :P