ASK A JUDGE: While we're busy NOT voting - your questions, we want 'em

Liontamer

Sorry if this one gets asked all the time, I've only read a few pages back: I was wondering why the site doesn't double (or triple!) the judge panel so as to get through the queue faster. You could even enlist a handful of talented writers to do remix write ups to keep that whole thing moving as well... with the number of good submissions and the size of the backlog it seems a shame not to have something new posted every day.

Sorry if this one gets asked all the time, I've only read a few pages back: I was wondering why the site doesn't double (or triple!) the judge panel so as to get through the queue faster. You could even enlist a handful of talented writers to do remix write ups to keep that whole thing moving as well... with the number of good submissions and the size of the backlog it seems a shame not to have something new posted every day.

The panel is kept small to help increase it's consistency and so that when stuff has to go to a majority vote it doesn't take ages to get every single judge to vote on it. We fairly consistently test new potential judges to replace slackers like me rather then to add numbers.

djp does all the write-ups and I don't think that's going to change. It's kind of part of the reward of getting something posted to get some bad jokes or hyperbole straight from the man.

This is more a question for the OCR Overlords rather than the judges, but what's with you people and your snooty hate for fat people? It's something I've been noticing a lot for a while, your shirt sizes go up to what, XL? I could wear one of those as a mask. Seriously, do you hate fat people, do the judges discriminate against certain groups of people that they don't like, etc? This is a very serious issue that I think should be addressed by ALL of the candidates in this Overclocked Election season.

Less BS, More BS 2012

This is more a question for the OCR Overlords rather than the judges, but what's with you people and your snooty hate for fat people? It's something I've been noticing a lot for a while, your shirt sizes go up to what, XL? I could wear one of those as a mask. Seriously, do you hate fat people, do the judges discriminate against certain groups of people that they don't like, etc? This is a very serious issue that I think should be addressed by ALL of the candidates in this Overclocked Election season.

Less BS, More BS 2012

You remind me of someone. I believe his name was The oinkness, the master of trolling in various ways; Subtle, vulgar, direct, indirect, serious, lighthearted...

You remind me of someone. I believe his name was The oinkness, the master of trolling in various ways; Subtle, vulgar, direct, indirect, serious, lighthearted...

Who are you? Who are you? What do you claim to know, Mr. Snacks 'n' Jackson from August 2011?!

IRREGARDLESS, the history of The Oinkness has nothing to do with fat person discrimination at OCR..... OR DOES IT?

You just blew my mind.

How many places DO offer oversized clothing? Not many. This is nothing new and hardly exclusive to OCR. It probably boils down to low demand, the higher cost of larger clothing, or the printing companies not offering sizes that large in general.

Isn't this the second time you've made this post? Besides, I thought you didn't like this place anyway. Why do you want to wear its logo around on yourself?

Besides, I thought you didn't like this place anyway. Why do you want to wear its logo around on yourself?

I don't know why you would think that, honestly. I've been a regular since 2009, have 12 remixes posted and another 25 to be posted, gone to MAGFest twice (and OCR Las Vegas once) specifically to meet up with OC ReMix, not to mention an album coming out here soon and another one that is a couple months away from ending production (hopefully). I've had my share of disappointments with the panel and I have been vocal about that in the past, but nothing has been substantial enough to turn me away from participating, enjoying, and being appreciative of OCR.

Who are you? Who are you? What do you claim to know, Mr. Snacks 'n' Jackson from August 2011?!

IRREGARDLESS, the history of The Oinkness has nothing to do with fat person discrimination at OCR..... OR DOES IT?

You just blew my mind.

Looks can be quite deceiving, n00b. Do not underestimate my power. Besides, I'm about to get promoted. So in your face.

P.s. In addition to my mind power, having been a "regular OCR visitor" since Summer 2006 contributes to my vast amount of knowledge. But now, my time has cometh. You will hear from me again.

• 4 weeks later...

Apparently I can't go YES (conditional) on production issues anymore, so tone down the sizzle, balance the production, and then send it on back for the win.

Quote from this thread: http://ocremix.org/forums/showthread.php?t=38283

I remember seeing this pop up in a few other threads too, iirc.

I'm curious as to the extreme of this though. Does this only apply to big production issues, or does it also apply to small issues too? It seems like it would be fine for small things like small volume issues or maybe panning issues. Or maybe even compression issues in a particular part of a song. Since they're quick fixes, should that really warrant them to go through the whole submission and evaluation process completely?

Unless I'm misconstruing the extreme of this like I mentioned earlier.

Edited by urdailywater

Well what they do is they say:

Can Brandon fix this in an hour? Probably. Can he fix it in 5 minutes? With Larry there stopwatching him as he works? NO! (resub pls)

I actually don't know why they say "quick fixes" but say 5 minutes. What is the difference between doing the fixes in 5 minutes or an hour? Isn't it likely you couldn't even contact a judge within 5 minutes to have the new version sent to them, or the judge wouldn't see the message within 5 minutes?

Quote from this thread: http://ocremix.org/forums/showthread.php?t=38283

I remember seeing this pop up in a few other threads too, iirc.

I'm curious as to the extreme of this though. Does this only apply to big production issues, or does it also apply to small issues too? It seems like it would be fine for small things like small volume issues or maybe panning issues. Or maybe even compression issues in a particular part of a song. Since they're quick fixes, should that really warrant them to go through the whole submission and evaluation process completely?

Unless I'm misconstruing the extreme of this like I mentioned earlier.

We had a little judges pow wow earlier this year and decided that conditional votes were being overapplied where they didn't make sense. In some cases, it was making the judging process take longer instead of shorter, because it would make the current count of votes unclear. For an experienced remixer, rebalancing a mix might not take long, but for many newer musicians, it would be a challenge. We're trying to start using conditional only for very quick fixes like fadeout or encoding problems. We do prioritize resubmits to some extent to make up for this change.

• 2 weeks later...
So I heard this song

And I thought to myself, would it be possible for submissions to be passed mostly on the comedic effect alone?

It's up to floss to submit it, not that I have my judge-hat on. That opening FL Slayer-style guitar synth isn't the strongest opening, but it's brief. :lol:

Just clarifying -- because your question makes an implication -- there's no different bar based on whether a song's funny or not. It could be hilarious, but if the arrangement isn't interpretive enough or the production is weak, it wouldn't pass.

It's up to floss to submit it, not that I have my judge-hat on. That opening FL Slayer-style guitar synth isn't the strongest opening, but it's brief. :lol:

Just clarifying -- because your question makes an implication -- there's no different bar based on whether a song's funny or not. It could be hilarious, but if the arrangement isn't interpretive enough or the production is weak, it wouldn't pass.

uses real guitar and sounds much better overall anyway.

HOWEVER, I talked to brentalfloss about OCR some time ago and he's not really interested in submitting more songs beyond what he already has, sadly.

HOWEVER, I talked to brentalfloss about OCR some time ago and he's not really interested in submitting more songs, sadly.

Yeah, Deia talked to him too at a con, MAGFest 10 I think, and he thought his comedic mixes didn't fit the site. I think she tried to tell him that's not the case, but hey, gotta let a brother know again!

No hate if Brent simply doesn't want to submit anything or doesn't care, as it's his prerogative, and he's always been great on a personal level too. But everyone SHOULD know that as long as an arrangement is substantially interpretive and reasonably well-produced, it's not disqualified or scrutinized extra for being a comedy track.

• 2 weeks later...
For Disjointed chemicals you guys where asking for a 192k render

I pm'd the same thing to Emunator

http://tindeck.com/listen/rkvm

Got it. Did you want to still use SonicThHedgog as your ReMixer name, BTW? I noticed you're using Aires and Air3s a lot, so I wasn't sure if you're trying to move to a new artist name now. Let me know if you need a change for your ReMixer and/or forum name and I can do that if you need.

Got it. Did you want to still use SonicThHedgog as your ReMixer name, BTW? I noticed you're using Aires and Air3s a lot, so I wasn't sure if you're trying to move to a new artist name now. Let me know if you need a change for your ReMixer and/or forum name and I can do that if you need.

Yes "Air3s" as my mixer name would be excellent!