OCR00928 - Alisia Dragoon "Halls of Abandonment"

djpretzel

Andy who? andywho312, thats who! .. er.. Start! <songplayed> Wow! some slickness shown here. diggin' that cave-ish vibe that this puts off. Despite a few minor issues, this mix really shines in the later sections, more toward the end. Worth the listen. and certainly worth keeping for the most part.

0:01 - Im not familiar with the original, but im diggin the intro..reminds me of F-Zero.

0:15 - Good Selection of instruments..

0:45 - And were in .. Cool lead. I like the mellow-ness of it at this point..

1:28 - Good. that lead was already getting slightly dull. A bit rough on the ears. volume could've been worked at slightly better here. But the echo effect is cool.

2:06 - Good stuff.. More of that lead? i hope you mix it up.

2:20 - Yay! i beat..and quite a nice one at that. the quality is fairly good, and it matches the rest of the piece quite well.

2:50 - You could do a lot more to mix it up at this point then what your doing, ive heard this already :\ try to push things to the next level in future works.

3:15 - Same as before? Cool Voices in the Backround, atleast thats what im assuming they are. Again..

3:40 - Yea! this is what im talking about.. good change with the medly. And it seems to be leading up to the ending quite nicely, a few "static" issues with that low bass, but that could be just my headphones.

4:17 - Im not digging this, its more of the same.

4:30 - Will it fadeout? .. OMG.. how did i know?! .. Ending is kinda empty.. Its not the fadeout that makes it bad, its just the fact that we've heard that before..and it's quite a slow fadeout. but eitherway, i guess it works.

Overall the sound was nice, not much of a melody I can go with. The repetitive nature doesn't seem to come from the constant flute thing going "DO do do do DO do do do DO do do do DO do do do" (I could listen to that for hours for some reason, which is a good thing for this song) but in the way that everything sounds the same. This is good for setting a style but not for someone who likes variety. I'm sure there are people who can use this listen for some kind of purpose.

There is this one little part that bothers me. 3:14 through 3:36. The instrument carrying the melody reappears "after a long hiatus" with some noticable drums with some background voice and background noise and a flute randomly that gradually get more dramatic with some cool wavy noise appearing just in between 3:33 through 3:36. It's a real great build up to what seems like some climactic part of the song is going to break loose, but then right after 3:36 everything abruptly stops, continuing with the pre-3:14 flow. Kinda like this post.

Overall the sound was nice, not much of a melody I can go with. The repetitive nature doesn't seem to come from the constant flute thing going "DO do do do DO do do do DO do do do DO do do do" (I could listen to that for hours for some reason, which is a good thing for this song) but in the way that everything sounds the same. This is good for setting a style but not for someone who likes variety. I'm sure there are people who can use this listen for some kind of purpose.

i dl all ocrs djp ;) dont worry. lesse...

its really interesting. the 'cave-ish' feel is new to ocr (i believe) and i love it. i happened to like the intro very much. in accordance to World of Ruin, i happen to like the doododdododood a lot. i dont know why... it just sounds nice =) that section at 3:14-3:36 doesnt bother me too much. maybe its just personal preference.

ugh, i hate fade endings though =( BUT DOWNLOAD IT! ITS GOOD

I have one thing to say for this song: Awesome! :D

I don't know why I like this song so—wait a minute, yes I do! It's because it's freakin AWESOME!

And yes, I know no one likes the 'fade out' ending, but come on, if there's any song that it works for, it's this one! DOWNLOAD NOW!!!

EDIT Oh by the way, I REALLY like the dreamy feel it has. I hope all of your songs turn out this good Andywho312. GREAT JOB!!!!!!!!! :mrgreen:

I got this from the WIP, but it was under a different mixer name. hmmm

Well, I'm a huge fan of Alisia Dragoon and it's music. Great stuff both of them. This mix totally does the source material great justice. Great ambience, great instruments, cool bleepy drums, great stuff all around. I'm always waiting for a big bust-out with some badass drums and more energy, but that's my style. This is a great mix. Fade out ending actually worked decently well, so it's not as big as a gripe from me as usual. Good work.

I enjoy this ReMix very much. I wasn't too enthralled with the original cartridge music because since it sounded pretty thin from what I remember. But here it is with far better instrumentation and therefore much more enthralling. Repetitive, yes, but I do like it that way. In fact the parts that begin to stray (at 1:26 and 3:15) are definitely my least favorite parts since they break the cool mood. That doesn't make it "bad" but I'm just saying I really dig the mood the main part of the song creates. I am always one for good, moody music and this fits the bill!

Highly impressive work, LastUnicron. In fact, I wouldn't be incorrect in saying that this is better than most of my works. Of course, I don't know the original source material, but that doesn't really matter. Everything here fits like a glove, the panning is nice, the ambience is oh-so-nice, and the sounds are of great quality. I think the fade ending really works well here.

Great first remix. :D

Hmmm...I liked the first version I heard a few months ago, and I like this one too. As others have mentioned, it's very repetative, but rather than being a hindrance (as it is with most songs), this is a good thing in this mix. The repetition fits perfectly with the laid-back, flowing vibe I get out of it. Exceptional work.

-steve

• 5 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Not that bad of a song, but to me there's a few quality issues. Maybe that's intentional, yet it seems to reduce the overall potential of the song. The fadeout at the end may be fairly unoriginal, but in this case it serves its purpose well enough.

Borderline as to whether it'll make my regular playlist; I'll have to listen to it a few more times.

• 2 months later...

After hearing this mix I went to Unicorns site and downloaded everything that I could find in his music section. Awesome, and I am sorry people but the fade works perfectly for a song like this. Full circle and very soothing - I just enjoy that little feeling I get while I listen to it... kind of a simple happiness that I found in games back when I was like eight.

• 7 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Wow, I LOVE that opening synth. Gives me a warm fuzzy feeling, reminding me of back when I used to mess around with my sister's old Korg. Moving all them knobs and sliders whose purpose I had no clue about.

Great mix overall. I think a few well placed pitchbends on the lead would have really spiced it up a bit. Also, those pads, choirs, voices, or whatever those eerie things are in the background in the beginning are fricking amazing!!! VERY moody.

Drawbacks: a little repetitive, things also sound a little messy during the orchestral-stlyle breaks--I think it could have been mixed a little better. Maybe too much reverb? The orchestral parts are also rather boring, especially when compared to the rest of the song.

This remix is damn good, but I think it has (or had) potential to be damn, frickin, unbelievably incredible if tweaked a bit.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR00928 - Alisia Dragoon "Halls of Abandonment"