OCR01700 - Okami "Celestial Winds from the East"

djpretzel

Holy cheese on rye. First, McVaffe, welcome back, I've missed you terribly. Hell, I wasn't even on the forums before you left for your own endeavors. Anyway, McVaffe has captured "Reset" beautifully. I love all the percussion throughout this song. Gives it a nice, gentle sound, like tapping hollow bamboo shoots. I can hear his trademark beats that I've come to love once the beat sets in at 1:19. This song is true justice for a truly beautiful game. That suble Rasta beat at 1:47, I am digging. Quite a comeback song for McVaffe, I'll be playing this song at regular intervals at work. Welcome back, McVaffe, can't wait to hear some of your new ideas!

I've already listened to this five times in a row. McVaffe was my favorite ReMixer when I first started getting involved in OCR; mixes like Actraiser Freestyle, Medieval Kaoss, Cutmana Sonata, and dozens more were like magic to me. They were the primary motivation for my own improvement as a ReMixer, as a matter of fact.

While I have a much better understanding of music production and arrangement now than I did five years ago, McVaffe's music is no less amazing to me. This ReMix really brings me back - it's got Mike's signature approach to instrumentation and groove, but it's even more refined and polished than his previous posted mixes (which you'd expect, considering they were posted years ago!) I've never played Okami, nor have I ever heard the music, but this mix certainly encourages me to do both. AWESOME.

Sweet percussion, especially in the beginning. I really like it.

The piano part at 2:50 at first was kind of clinky to me, I wouldn't have minded more sustain/release/pedal/reverb (anything) but when the chords came in fuller I liked it more. Probably more of a personal choice.

Plus the piano joining with the other instruments in the background towards the end added a nice touch. Anyway, it was a fun song. Nice to see another McVaffe mix.

Wow. Welcome home man, haven't seen you since 2003. This is a GREAT mix. It's reminiscent of the Wind Waker Soundtrack in some ways, but it somehow manages to sound like Earthbound, lounge music, and Samurai Jack all smooshed together. You win for having a piano solo in there as well, there's no better way to get my A+ on a mix. It just sounds whinsical, happy, and downright beautiful. Excellent stuff, and welcome back!

Abso-lute-ly friggin beautiful! I've been wanting a new McVaffe remix for a while, & to finally hear it, well, it's as good as I imagined it would be. Great use of asian instruments.

Actually makes me think of exploring a field in a Zelda-esque game, with the b-side being the credits theme. Can't wait to hear more from one of the guys that made me want to start ReMixing!

Woohoo!!!! McVaffe is B-A-C-K!!!!

Yoshi'sIsland-Crystalline Caverns is still my #1 song in my Top25 played list on iTunes so that says how much I love the man!!! :P

All your Megaman and Street Fighter stuff was awesome and wow... I'm just sooo happy to see you back ;)

This song is HEAVEN! I didn't have the chance to play Okami yet (I'll be getting it on Wii soon!) but I'm already in love with this theme!! You haven't changed a bit it's weird I recognized you from the drum beats...!

It's more polished than your earlier work that's for sure (that makes me wish you could "remix" your remixes......!! :P) and it's definitely a great way to come back like a true king!

It somehow reminds me a little bit of Chrono Trigger at times and also a lot of the Mystical Ninja series (how I still love Goemon on the N64!!)..

Very smooth stuff that I could cry to if I wasn't so happy that you're back!! I guess I'll cry of joy! ;)

Having played Okami, I should be very familiar with this and am just as excited about there being a remix for this game as I am seeing the return of McVaffe. The least I can say is that his style fits strong with this and the arrangement, while simple, has been captured very beautifully and precisely. Not only is this sure to give huge goosebumps to those that remember him during his time around the community four years ago, but also to ensure a very warm comeback.

A great way to make a mark on 1700 arrangements, I'm sure :D

awesome! :nicework:

truly awesome! i love this game, it's definitly a milestone in the history of videogames - i'm a little disappointed with the people of this planet though, who never really understood the beauty of it and turned Clover into a martyr way too early :(

this remix definitly does it justice in all senses, being a milestone remix of a veteran, being awesomely produced and mixing ethnics and modernism into a piece of gold

and geez.. 4 years! welcome back mcvaffe - we've missed you :)

Hey Mike - I have had the exact same speakers for a solid 7 years. Are yours the powered ones or the original Event 20/20s? If they are the originals (non-amp'ed, like mine) I'm a bit curious what amp you might've paired them with. I've tried quite a few and while I like the sound, they're starting to feel aged.

Dig your setup and dig the new track. I'll be doing a lot of the same at my new place!

I'm ashamed to admit it but I never really listened to a lot of McVaffe's stuff, but what I did listen to was good/awesome.

Also I've never played Okami, even though I have heard many amazings about it I do not have a PS2 unfortunately.

That said, this song is pretty much beautiful and amazing and beautiful and it makes me want to go back and download all of McVaffe's songs to listen to them. When I really really like a song I am bad at describing it because most all that comes out is just YES AMAZING YES AMAZING YES. It is very serene and yes amazing.

Welcome back!

I have been waiting for this mix ever since I beat Okami (which was like a year and a half ago). I kept thinking "When is someone going to remix Reset". Finally that day has come and I must say I am very impressed. McVaffe, you did an awsome job of making a great song even better. Like a couple said before, its pretty difficult to take a song like Reset and arrange it well but you did an excellent job. I Love this mix and I hope you continue the good work. Nice to have you back.

I've not heard the original (my gaming scope being very sadly limited), but from a musical/production point of view this is probably my favorite song I've heard from McVaffe. Even though I'm an OCR newbie still on the forums at least, I've listened to...geez, I don't know. TONS of remixes from here! McVaffe has been hit-and-miss for me, but there have been some gems. This, I think, marks the start of a new level of quality from him, eh wot? The four-year layoff gave a lot of time for maturity and it REALLY shows. Great work, an instant favorite.

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR01700 - Okami "Celestial Winds from the East"