OCR01735 - ToeJam & Earl "Bumpin'"

djpretzel

Joshua Morse, you've TRULY got a pocket a mile wide. Fantastic stuff--bumpin would be the correct verb to describe the motions I am making right now. I really like the solo work too--but this is a track where, surprisingly enough, I'm strongly taken not by the solos, but by the backtrack. There are some great lessons to be learned about groove in this track--and the chord progressions you choose to make (as well as the way you voice them) are really slick (in general--it was your chord progressions that turned me on to your ragnarok mix). Seriously man, fantastic work!!

Oh, this is just hot. I love the introduction of new instruments as the song goes on, e.g. the flute, the organ, the wah-wah guitar. Lot of variety between sections - I totally wasn't anticipating the turn to something more jazzy around the halfway point. Definitely a keeper. :smile:

Can't believe this is the first TJ&E mix from JM, it's a perfect fit for his style.

NICE. This is great stuff! You're consistently putting out some of my very favorite mixes. Kickass.

EDIT: This seriously might be in my top 10 favorites here. Those two breaks at 3:02 and 3:54 are just perfect (if I had to pick a favorite part).

I can't stop listening to this.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

I agree with some of the comments that the solos here are just a really good excuse to keep grooving on that backing track. I love the piano doubling the bass part near the middle section, and an interesting fade out to transition.

I think putting the pass and drums front and center in this mix and using the other instruments to just color things a bit is what really makes this one succeed.

My only real wish for this is that I wish the ending was a bit more graceful; the fill before the final note seemed a little small for a jam of this magnitude. Otherwise, awesome work.

• 1 year later...

Youch. Look out. White hot sex explosion in progress. Could this be any slicker?

This thing really has legs, great ones. Smooth sexy legs that do much ass-kicking. I really love the production on this. Really rich in all those classic funk sounds, but cleaner, clearer and tighter than I ever remember funk sounding. Nice amount of instrumental variation to keep things tasty and the basswork is just the money.

I'm getting more and more into these Morse mixes. Above everything else, its the attention to detail, variation and fullness of sound that captivates me with this. Somehow, against better judgement, manages to make toejam sexy. I can't condone that, but I will continue to enjoy it.

• 11 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Brilliant, I love it. This mix just focuses on the game's funkiness and multiplies it by a thousand. Great groove, lots going on and great production. As soon as I pressed play on this track it made me grin. Impressive solos, phat bassline and the sassy wah-guitar. I don't care if you haven't played the game before, you will love this track.

• 3 years later...

I think it's obvious that if you pair JM and TJ&E, you will get an absolutely brilliant track like this. Joshua clearly knows how how to funk out some tunes, but if the sources are already funky as hell, then you definitely get funk squared! The phat bassline, the excellnt wah-wah guitar licks, strong beats, some nice flute, synths and smooth EP make this mix a beast of funk. Love it!

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR01735 - ToeJam & Earl "Bumpin'"