EGM to be resurrected... and now it has been

The Coop

http://www.egmnow.com/press1.html

So, after nearly twenty years, EGM was unceremoniously canned out of the blue. The "final" issue, February 2009, still has yet to be released via PDF as it was promised to be by James Mielke back in January. Everyone thought the magazine was dead and gone. Think again.

Steve Harris has made a deal with Ziff Davis to re-acquire the trademarks and publishing rights. You remember Harris. The one who created EGM back in '89? He's got his magazine back, and has apparently decided to bring the magazine back some time in the second half of this year. There are plans to make an announcement at E3. For a bit more info, read Mielke's blog post here.

Is this just a joke? Will it fall through? I don't know. But the idea of EGM being back on the shelves does put a smile on my face.

I was just about to post something about this, you beat me Coop!!

But I am glad to see it being revived. It may not be exactly the same as it once was, as one blog states, but hey, it brings a nice fuzzy feeling inside to see the magazine making a comeback.

Hopefully, it'll be even more successful than before, and I'd love to see that final issue they originally made.

Talk about out of the blue. I thought Steve Harris was dead.

And anyway, I actually won't be too happy to the see the magazine come back for several reasons:

1. I was letter of the month November 2009 (or October 2009, whichever) and I still haven't gotten the game they owe me.

2. I have 400 lbs of magazines as it is and I can't throw any away. I'm running out of time and space.

3. I still don't fucking know who Sushi-X was and I want the matter to die with the magazine.

Edit: Silly me, I still consider September the start of the year. I mean November/October 2008.

Talk about out of the blue. I thought Steve Harris was dead.

And anyway, I actually won't be too happy to the see the magazine come back for several reasons:

1. I was letter of the month November 2009 (or October 2009, whichever) and I still haven't gotten the game they owe me.

2. I have 400 lbs of magazines as it is and I can't throw any away. I'm running out of time and space.

3. I still don't fucking know who Sushi-X was and I want the matter to die with the magazine.

Edit: Silly me, I still consider September the start of the year. I mean November/October 2008.

Why can't you throw any of your magazines away? Or better yet, recycle them?

Sushi-X hasn't been used in years and he was created by David Siller then later taken over by Ken Williams. Other editors have portrayed the character but those two were the most influential, with Williams having the longest tenure as Sushi-X.

I'm glad to see the magazine come back even though I haven't purchased an issue of it in a few years mostly because I just started to dislike the way it looked and the way content was laid. However many of the early issues were pretty horrible, if not worse. I still want to have all the issues of 1 to 100, which I'm almost there just to complete my collection and experience some nostalgia.

You know, for a while I was confused because I could swear I saw new EGMs here in stores (Canada, btw). Not that I really care about the magazines much anymore, but good on them. This news may convince me to check them out once more.

Why can't you throw any of your magazines away? Or better yet, recycle them?

Sushi-X hasn't been used in years and he was created by David Siller then later taken over by Ken Williams. Other editors have portrayed the character but those two were the most influential, with Williams having the longest tenure as Sushi-X.

Well, I can't recycle them because I don't think anyone around here does that. The real reason I can't get rid of them is far too complicated and weird to post here, even for me.

Was EGM a decent magazine? I haven't subscribed to a gaming magazine since I let my Nintendo Power lapse in like 2000. I might have to pick up some EGMs if it's coming back though...

EGM had its ups and downs, but for the most part it was an excellent magazine. Great honest writing and humor abound, I'm glad it's coming back. :)

EGM had its ups and downs, but for the most part it was an excellent magazine. Great honest writing and humor abound, I'm glad it's coming back. :)

I remember having a positive experience with EGM as well. I may still have their issue on the "console showdown" or whatever lying around here somewhere.

• 3 weeks later...