OCR01864 - Final Fantasy VI "The Hot Pink of Blues"

djpretzel

Oooooh man. This is sick. The lead guitar and the keys redefine what sexy sounds like. I can't think of a bad thing to say about this.

EDIT: Also, LOL @ DJP's description...

He's also a dad, a great musician, and an all-around premuim person. He also invented the hovercraft and was the first man to scale K2 in under 45 minutes. He grows his own bacon. For all we know. It's possible.

It was a very good piece, and I didn't notice anything that didn't sound right. As I've said before, I'm no music major, so I can't get into details about what did and didn't work. But hey, I've always believed that regular folk should judge things as much as the experts. At any rate, I didn't notice it being too original, but I'm also not as familiar with the source music. It was definitely a good listen, though.

So glad this was posted... I remember being all peeved about the rejection back in the day... debating source and time usage, etc. in #ocremix.

Glad you guys posted it... I really heard Cyan all over this.

Anyway about the mix, just nice writing, I don't think the solo was too long, the song didn't feel long at all... It was filling and just right. Guitar and bass were just stellar. The mixing is great and also I am wtf surprised that Sam ended up somehow being involved. The real playing he added is also great. GREAT GREAT WORK GUSY!

Great mix, overall. I would've liked to hear a bit more of Cyan in there, but I felt that what there was of him in there was very well-placed and tasteful. Maybe a touch on the long side, but that may've just been because I kept expecting to hear a bit more of Cyan. Other than that, great stuff.

Most drama in a judge thread ever?

Best remix title ever?

I cheered when I saw this in the to-be-posted queue. The 'sauce version was kickass, and the retouched version is even better. Not quite digging the synth that's been highlighted at one point early on... chalk it up to resistance to change.

Cyan is hands-down my favorite track from FF6, but this remix takes the idea and charts its own course. And this is by no means unwelcome. The source is fully represented and the remix kicks. Surprisingly to me, in spite of the huge sylistic changes, only nostalgia is preventing me from saying this is even more gut-wrenching than the original (3:38 on, esp 4:02-4:08 = yessssssss). There's a little (positive) character-attribution bias for ya.

For what this remix was gunning for, it reached in spades. Divergent throughout, yet building throughout. And, of course, some sweet picking (and keyboarding!) to boot.

The world needs more bass players. It's always awesome to hear a good bass line (and bass lead!). Keep remixing!

great to see you posted here finally Tony!

To clarify, the write-up quotes larry saying "He also recruited Shnabubula to add some cool original comping wankery on top of some of the mellower sections. Tony mentioned that Sam cooked up his stuff in a matter of hours after offering to do it, so definitely props to Sam for some nice additions that further fleshed out the arrangement"

This is either completely inaccurate or just a really odd description of what actually took place. Tony just removed all of the sequenced rhodes parts from his song and replaced them with me playing live. That was the extent of my contribution.

Anyway, great first mix, I can't wait to see more of your formidable catalog show up here!

EDIT: just to be clear, I appreciate the acknowledgement, I just wanted to make sure people know that I really had very little to do with this song. I was like an instrument in Tony's arsenal rather than a full-on collaborator.

Definitely a cleaned up version of the DoD entry. Prince of Darkness is just one of those people you MUST listen to when it comes to DoD, people. I'm glad the judges had a rough time passing this, 'cause it's worth thinking about the future when you stumble upon remixes as cool as this one and reject them.

Anyway, groovy stuff, PoD. Your playing is amazing. An unexpected reinterpretation of Cyan's theme.

I absolutely cannot wait until OCR gets gems such as "Sonic Gargles With Golden Marbles" and "Vestigial Fusion Factory". If those get rejected, then I'll be speechless. No offence or anything, but passing Zelda Heineken over those tracks? That'll be a sad day for me.

Congrats on debuting in OCR, man. Can't wait for more of your tracks.

This song is simply spectacular, and while I understand djp's extreme argument against liberal arrangement becoming something other than an arrangement, I cannot imagine how it applies here.

It's disappointing to see the judges get so hung up on very technical rules, when in the end, we're all just coming here to listen to good VGM arrangements and this is... well, this is definitely that.

To clarify, the write-up quotes larry saying "He also recruited Shnabubula to add some cool original comping wankery on top of some of the mellower sections. Tony mentioned that Sam cooked up his stuff in a matter of hours after offering to do it, so definitely props to Sam for some nice additions that further fleshed out the arrangement"

This is either completely inaccurate or just a really odd description of what actually took place. Tony just removed all of the sequenced rhodes parts from his song and replaced them with me playing live. That was the extent of my contribution.

That's all Tony fault; I'll never ask him anything on IRC again! In other words, kik Tony. (i.e. not a big deal, but I recall that's what he said)

No offence or anything, but passing Zelda Heineken over those tracks? That'll be a sad day for me.

That's a pretty stupid thing to say. :lol:

It's disappointing to see the judges get so hung up on very technical rules, when in the end, we're all just coming here to listen to good VGM arrangements

Exactly, the listeners generally couldn't care less about the site's guidelines or purpose as long as we posted enjoyable tracks. That underscores why it's good for the panel to scrutinize tracks; the fans generally don't. Some very enjoyable tracks just end up being outside the scope of the site. We almost passed Villainelle's Zelda 64 mix when it actually had barely anything to do with the source tune it was supposed to be arranging, until we took a closer look. A lot of people would have given it the benefit of the doubt.

If we posted Hyadain's

, we'd have lots of people in favor of that too, and I can't forget about the debate I had about removing Zelda 64 'Ocarina Boogie'. I r badmen's on this stuff. :lol:

If it ends up that mixes are on the borderline like this one in terms of actually using the VGM, even though Joe Blow wouldn't care as long as the production was awesome, those are exactly the situations the Js will be checking out.

That's your opinion, dude. We'll just have to agree to disagree.

No, not really. :tomatoface: Comparing the two tracks is apples and oranges. There's also no need to shit on a track just because you like another track. That's like the prophet of mephisto needlessly shitting on Armcannon a few days ago just because he loved Powerglove. Don't get into that stuff, it's pointless.

Well this was definitely one of those "listen to it once then come comment on it cause it was so cool!" type of mixes. Cyanide is one of my favorite mixes, so I don't think it's any surprise that another guitar-wielding Cyan mix did the trick for me again. This time it has a lot of other elements too which I definitely enjoyed as well, but there's no getting around the driving force of the guitar.

Personally I can't say I struggled with finding the source, maybe it's just because I'm a hardcore FF guy who played FF6 over and over back in the day, but this felt like any other mix to me as far as the source mostly being there, and occasionally dropping off for some solo work (which is usually a big part of the fun with these mixes), but still, not getting too lost, imo.

This rendition brought to mind a sort of... Detective Cyan image. In fact, I was compelled to sketch such an image!

detectivecyan.gif

Leather cuirass-trenchcoat hybrid + chin that can cut glass = Yes!

EDIT: In regards to the ongoing debate... this actually sounds more like a ReMix of the second half of Cyanide, than of the Cyan theme itself. This probably isn't really the case, but if it were, I figure ReMixes of Remixes would certainly be within OCR's scope. Or do we need to put up an OCRemixRemix site? -_-;

This mix is great! There's always room for a well done jazzy mix on my playlist :) . I am a huge fan of FF VI, but don't remember this particular tune very well. It doesn't matter, though, because this piece easily stands on its own :) .

My playlist of awesome songs thanks you!

I don't know, but I just cannot get into this remix. The guitar and the jazzy rest are very nice if looked at seperately, but for me, they just don't get along too well. The guitar is way too much in the foreground, drowing out the awesome, laid-back jazz.

Not a bad remix by any stretch of the imagination; simply not my cup of tea.

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR01864 - Final Fantasy VI "The Hot Pink of Blues"