OCR01140 - Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time "Awakened Fears of the Gerudo"

djpretzel

Oh wow... This is the best ReMix of the Gerudo Theme I've heard, sorry to those of you who made others, but this one is the best.

The drums at 2:35-3:19 sounded so fake, though. Aside from that, this piece was sweet. Nice work, as usual

I found the drums to be more realistic, with the exception of 3:15-3:31

For the first 10 seconds, I was thinking : "This dude ripped off some other guy's intro!!!"

Then I came to the conclusion that the remix (or snippet) I've been listening to for a long long time was yours :lol:

Nice work... 8)

It's hard for me to believe that this one came out on VGMix way back in mid-November, but all things considered, I'm glad it's finally here. Tight stuff as usual from Mr. B, this really took the Gerudo theme different places than the usual fare. I can't wait until Dan's FF6 "Shadowman" WIP gets finished, since that's something that's going to impress a lot of people as well. Here's my quick review from VGMix:

I've had the most recent WIP of this track for quite a few months, so, like Belmont Lounge on OCR, I was eagerly awaiting the final product and I'm really glad to see this track complete. The one major shortcoming of the WIP I had was that the bass was too subtle and needed to be beefed up to fill out the track, and Dan definitely addressed those issues with some pumpable, thumpable bass levels. The other important addition to this mix since the last WIP were the weird sounding little noises that came at the end of certain measures (e.g. 0:32 & 0:39). Honestly, on the first listen, I felt that those effects sounding too tacked on and didn't mesh as well as they could have with the music, since they were in fact added on later. There are also certain instances where those effects accentuate the background instead (e.g. 1:28 & 1:36) and manage to flow much better. Nonetheless, after just the second listening (and through repeated listening and ear acclimation for others), those distorded note effects blend in very nicely.

Dan is a mixer who in my opinion has a tremendous knack for several different styles (e.g. Air Force One is Down/Silent Ascent, The Galaxy is at Peace, Black Magic Synthesis, Belmont Lounge & this one). Dan has taken several tracks and has tackled several different genres, all with tremendous success. And overall, Awakened Fears is an excellent rearrangement of the Gerudo theme. I really enjoyed the voice effects of himself Dan threw in that are reverbed and toyed around with in different ways to give off that airy, somewhat mystical feel that he alludes to with this mix's title. The synth notes making up the main melody (e.g. 0:40-0:56, 1:39-1:55 & 2:58-3:14) are reverbed but short notes nonetheless. I wouldn't describe them as "sparse" since that has negative connotations, because the nature of how these notes were programmed really fit the music. You can't have every single element reverb greatly or you run the risk of muddying the track up. Instead, the melody serves as somewhat of an anchor for the more ambient-style music that envelops the majority of the track.

For me, this was a high quality, liberally arranged remix with quite a few layers involved that tangibly sets a mood and keeps you there for 3 minutes and 41 seconds. That being said, make sure you DL it and give it a few listens. You'll likely appreciate it on more than one level. Excellent work.

Warning - Is prone to ramble on.

Not really sure WHAT to say about the remix....but ill be listening to it whenever Im bored of whatever else I have playin thru my ungodly large headphones. It just sounds interesting, but for some strange reason, when Im listening to what comes right after the lil intro I have flashbacks of playing on graal when it was free and cheesy.

Ewwwwww graal

I remember listening to this on my decrepit N64 and just sitting there listening.....Im having flashbacks and Im not even grown yet......

dots are fun......anyways.......bye?...............

I see the gerudo valley theme from OOT the same as Schala's theme or Time Circuits (both from Chrono Trigger)...WAY overdone. I think there are some people here at the site that need to find some new music to remix, trust me there's plenty of music out there that hasn't been done and is waiting to be done in various ways. All you have to do is take a glance at the WIP forum to realize there's still far too many people remixing Chrono Trigger/Final Fantasy/Mega Man. Yes, they all have good soundtracks, but it's time to MOVE ON...k?

(end rant)

Anyway, this being said I will say I was very impressed with this mix. I love the ethinic/electronic thing (with a dash of strings near the end) he's got going on here. Not only has he shown that he's got talent, but technical expertise as well. Congrats, man.

*holds up little Daniel Baranowsky pennant*

I love his style. It's always unique, and it's so utterly refreshing to hear a new, better version of the Gerudo theme. While the other's /are/ good, this is one that stands out, it's a very creative interpretation. I agree slightly (just slightly) that there is something strange about the drums at 2:35. They seem a bit out of place, maybe fake. But in all honesty, I wouldn't have even noticed if I hadn't read the first review. Everything else makes up for it, though. Especially the eerie vocalizations in the beginning.

As I listen to this... I am very pleased with the creative flow.

However, is that skipping noise in the beginning just me? Hmmm

7/10 Variety mixes like this are great.

#1. That's not skipping. If you would take the time to listen to it carefully, you would see that it's percussive, since it's on-tempo.

#2. Since when is a rating of 7 / 10 great?? Last I checked 7/10 was average. If I was 'very pleased' with the creative flow of a song, and thought that mixes like this were 'great', I'd be dishing out a 9/10 or 10/10. Give Daniel some credit, man.

I love the haunting voices at the start - it really makes you feel that it will build to something awesome.

But it doesnt. Atleast not for me. It sounded sort of misguided (even though i'm sure a lot of work went into it). My hopes were raised when the piano began to play, then again it sort of led to nothing substantial.

I loved the beats, the synths and the haunting voices as well the piano aspect. But as a whole, Geradu has been done to death and although this offers a different take on the theme, i dont feel it really fits the bill.

I'd still recomend downloading it, to see what the fuss is about and make up your own mind.

I've been listening to this way before it got posted at ocr, probably downloaded it from vgmix or something... I hope it's the same version? Haven't gotten myself into checking :P

Anyways, this is one of the mixes I've listened most to lately... I like it, a very chill song - and your voice fits in perfectly. I really like this one.

True, Gerudo Valley is an often-harped-on song among video game music, but I think this remix is the best I've heard yet. The bass in the song is ridiculously and meticulously crafted. The hi-hat is also very intricate, having perfect usage and good continuity. My favorite of all though, are the major chords in the end of the song.(Consequently, part of the melody also goes major) I love the refreshing feel it gives to the piece, but still keeps it real with most of the original chords.

A wonderful iteration proving that something other than trite remixes can be made out of this song.

As I listen to this... I am very pleased with the creative flow.

However, is that skipping noise in the beginning just me? Hmmm

7/10 Variety mixes like this are great.

#1, that's not skipping. if you would take the time to listen to it carefully, you'd see that it's percussive, since it's on tempo / rhythm.

#2, since when is a rating of 7 / 10 great?? if I was 'very pleased' with the creative flow of a song, and thought that mixes like this were 'great' it'd be getting a 9/10 or 10/10. 7/10 = average, give Daniel some credit man.

it's pritty good, but i would agree that it gets a 7/10. I think his other mix, The Galaxy is at peace, is a lot better, but he is a very good remixer. can't wait for more.

• 4 months later...

I absolutely love this mix. Even slightly better than Gerudo Interlude.

This whole song plays like a whispy dream, that never quite plants itself into reality. The way this song haunts just seems to me to make it quite fleeting, in a good way. Many other mixes of this song are heavy, almost formidable. This mix just barely exists, and although intricate, it is quite light... in my opinion. I feel that with some songs, if you abruptly stopped the playback it would almost echo and leave your ears ringing, but if you stop this song it's like it was never there. But why would you want to do that?

This remix seems almost Pink Floydish. It tends to creep away from ordinary riffs, but focuses on the lack of sound to make its point. Yes Gerudo has been done, but not like this.

And perhaps I have just been up too long, if that whole review seems a bit creepy and personifying... but so is the song.

10/10

• 6 months later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 3 years later...

This started off interesting, but I don't know....

At times it holds my attention, but at others, it doesn't.

It's good, but, imo, it plays too much going left and right, does too many things.

Well, it's really hard to pin down this mix.

Its nicely trance-ful, yet very well grounded.

I'm wanting to like this mix, but I just don't know...

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR01140 - Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time "Awakened Fears of the Gerudo"