OCR01944 - Super Mario Galaxy "Meteorites and Rabbits"

djpretzel

As awesome as I think this could have been with live solo strings playing some of the parts, I admire what the remixer's done with his resources here. The arrangement is simple but when your source is this good, it's actually preferable that it doesn't get changed up too much :-P The soundscape is mellow and ambient but very engaging and borderline-energetic at times.

Congratulations on the debut post, and thanks for bringing Galaxy to the front page!

's okay, I guess.

Not really anything great to me, but it's good for listening and it's nice to see a mix of a not-so-old game for once.

It's relaxing, which I'm sure is what was expected for this remix. And it does an excellent job at it. It doesn't do much more, though... Maybe it's just not my type of thing.

My computer's screwy and it's not letting me listen right now, but I remember this from PRC. I assume the new version isn't too much different.

I love the weightless feeling this remix has. Nice and spacey. Not too different from the original, but different enough to be unique and enjoyable. I don't see this leaving my iPod anytime soon.

I kinda like this - it maintains an air of mystery like in the original track. Arrangement-wise, I feel it's fairly straightforward in comparison to the original, although it does dramatize it a little more with its subdued start and buildup with the focus on the strings.

It fulfills its role pretty well, and I can't say I have much to complain about here. Good job!

I'm going to admit to having this game for over a year, and it hasn't even seen the inside of the Wii yet. Sad, I know.

I can only describe this as quirky and mysterious, which is very cute, and very fun to listen to. The sounds work perfectly in the context, and the balance between them is very good. Some subtle panning adds a lot of flavor, as well. I like how the middle (1:55-2:08) feels almost as though it loses the time signature, yet still stays together. Nice work on that.

I'm a little disappointed in the ending; it felt like it fell a little ways outside of the key signature. I can understand the artistic view of doing that, so if it was intentional I won't fault it, it just didn't work for me. Other than that one little tiny thing, nice work!

That lead string instrument (cello? viola?) you got playing solo early on in the song would have sounded so much better with some modulation. Other than that, this is a sweet piece of music. I was amazed at how great the music was when I first played this game a month ago or two ago, and you've managed to preserve the atmosphere very well. Then again, I'm a sucker for conservative arrangements. :) Good job and congratulations on finally getting posted.

Little bro's first posted remix... awwwwwww! I guess it's thanks to him that I even got into remixing. I remember a number of years ago, he was working on something on our parents computer hours on end, I can't even remember what song or game it was from. But I kinda got the idea to try something of my own. If he could do it, so could I (sibling rivalry at its finest). I would ask him all kinds of question about FL Studio (Fruity Loops at the time) and eventually I came up with a song. Now all these years later, I am still asking him questions and I have 4 posted remixes and now he has one too.. WHICH I LIKE!! :)

Love this piece. Very soothing, very much different from my work, which is usually dark and sinister. Very nice indeed.

Maybe we will have to try and work on something together again sometime, last time was a semi-flop! Try again?

YES, SUPER MARIO GALAXY!!!

Best Mario game in the world!

Ok, enough with non-relevant opinions.

REALLY glad that jmr did this ReMix right. Super Mario Galaxy has a very, VERY strong soundtrack. It's tough to make something as good as Super Mario Galaxy better, or even just as good.

Gorgeous spacy feel, very relaxing and pleasant.

Downloaded as soon as I saw Super Mario Galaxy.

No regrets after the matter.

Simply stunning. I heard this back before it was posted and was blown away then, and am blown away now.

There's a lot of subtleties going on here that really add up to a sound-picture that's soothing and inventive. I still think you need to build a Theremin and I'll buy it off of you, but listening to this makes me think you'd be a lot more effective in using it. String work is superb, and I can't wait to hear how you tackle your next song.

I've recently started replaying Super Mario Galaxy recently so the source is at least semi-fresh in my mind, and I have to admit I like this better than the source. While it has the same mood as the original, it does liven it up some. It's still calming and evocative of space as ever, and its quite an interesting listen. While it does have a habit of causing the listener to place it at a lower mental awareness, there's a lot of variation of the sound scape here, plenty of changes in dynamics and speed. The ending is a little wimpy though, just quickly fading out with no resolution...

All in all, I like it and totally recommend it.

Excellent work. Just like everyone here, I love Mario Galaxy's soundtrack because it manages to be just as catchy as 16-bit VG music despite using a full orchestra. On that note, remixing tracks may be a bit intimidating.

Such a good job in capturing the mood of the original, jmr. The mixture of orchestral sounds and space synths are just as haunting. We really need more Mario Galaxy remixes for this site, not to mention space music genre. I think this is the first remix to feature the latter.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR01944 - Super Mario Galaxy "Meteorites and Rabbits"