Game-ending Bugs

Thalzon

I distinctly remember being very far in Quest for Glory 3, only to run out of food and have the game end due to my character being dying of exhaustion. However, from where I was, there was absolutely no way to backtrack to town without dying along the way.... every game after that I would cap out food as soon as possible, oh old games.

In the non-player's choice version of Metroid Prime, if you defeat the Alpha Pirate, and don't claim the artifact that he drops (by just leaving the room, and going sufficiently far away), then you can permanently miss getting that artifact, thereby making it so you cant go to the last area. They fixed this in the Player's Choice version by making all the doors lock until you grab the artifact.

There's also a bug in Final Fantasy 3/6 (might actually just be for the Japanese version, not sure really) where if you leave at least one of the rats in the Opera House alive, play the game until you get to the World of Ruin, then come back and get killed by said rat, it will warp you back to the Opera house in the World of Balance, and you will be unable to finish the game.

Wrap your head around this one:

Castlevania Lords of Shadow: When you go into the last chapter of the game to face the last boss, the game may delete your save file. The game's saving system relies completely on ONE auto-save file. You can't have multiple saves. Unless you backup your file to a USB drive. lol

And this is a 2010 game.

The Legend of Zelda - Majora's Mask (on the Gamecube Collector's Edition disk.) I guess I shouldn't have expected too much when the game starts by displaying a warning saying that there might be issues with the sound, so I guess when they ported it they didn't get all the bugs out, like they did when they made OoT: Master Quest.

Anyway, I started playing Majora's Mask, so I could say I'd played all of the Zelda games, and I beat the first dungeon, but saved by going back in time, so I lost all the fairies I'd found. So I came back, got the fairies again, and went to go get the upgrade. On my way into the fairy fountain, the game froze. It went to the (white, I think) loading screen, and never continued. So I turned off, redid the dungeon (third time), and went to get the upgrade. This time it worked - I got the sword, and left. Guess what? It froze on the loading screen to leave the fountain.

I never did beat Majora's Mask. I hope the original version didn't have those issues, but even still, having a save system that forgets everything you've done in the dungeon each time you save makes it hard when you have to share a console with several siblings that keep wanting turns... :banghead:

One I remember is from old, fairly obscure game called Ultrabots. It's a combination of FPS and Strategy where alien bots are invading Earth and you have to command your own robots to stop them in a bunch of different locations around the world.

There's no save option. Instead, the game automatically saves your progress as you move through the game (I think this was pretty standard for old EA games).

There was a specific battle against the computer where I'd defeated all of their robots, save one. I saw it on radar, but had trouble locating it near a mountain (read: giant 4 polygon mass). I finally managed to get at an angle where I could see "under" the mountain and saw the legs of the robot underneath. Basically, it somehow ran inside of the hill and was unhittable. No save points, so no way to go back to before the battle. Good times.

I did end up starting a new game sometime later and beat it, so I don't feel so bad.

In Beyond Good and Evil, you have to fight three robots in the Sluaghter House so that you can get a key for your partner so that you can continue the game. On occasion the last robot will drop the key in the ceiling where it spawns, impossible to get. Problem was never patched officially but a couple of save games (or savegame hacks) came out that gave you the key.

Dead Rising 1 felt the need to delete my save file (the only save file you can have for the game) multiple times at the clown boss fight or right after it. I gave up on that piece of shit.

A buddy of mine was going for the 360 achievement where you have to play the entire game in one sitting. He made it all the way down to 10 minutes left on the clock and accidentally entered a bugged room that crashed his game. He promptly went to sleep and never played it again. I think he fed it to his dog. His dog is now dead btw. :whatevaa:

• 2 weeks later...
A buddy of mine was going for the 360 achievement where you have to play the entire game in one sitting. He made it all the way down to 10 minutes left on the clock and accidentally entered a bugged room that crashed his game.

Um... Dead Rising's main game is about six hours long, and there isn't any achievement for playing the game without using any save points.

Playing Advent Rising, I was fighting the final boss. The only way to beat the Koroem is to reflect back the energy ball attack (kinda like Ganondorf in Ocarina of Time), I fought for 20 minutes without her using that attack once. Then I reset, and fought her again, same problem :(

SNK vs. Capcom Card Fighters DS.

On the second playthrough, no matter what you do, there's an NPC on the second floor named John who freezes the game cartridge. You have to fight him to continue. I know SNK shipped out fixed versions of the game for a bit in 2007 or 2008, but it was by request only, and they didn't ship out anymore after January of the next year.

• 8 months later...

In Crusaders of might and magic for PSone, they dont tell you at all how to beat the final boss and it took me 7 years to figure it out. After playing and replaying the game like 3 or 4 times thinking i had missed some magical weapon needed to defeat necros, i found out you just use any ranged weapon of your liking and shoot at the random towers around the arena in which you fight necros. If you didnt , after a while necros would just get "stuck" on a random spot in the level and run in place. No amount of hacking at him did any good. It was just such an obscure thing to do that it even took people writing walkthroughs a few extra months to figure it out. Overall that game ending was a let down though ( even the pc version).

On a similar note, In Castlevania aria of sorrow you can skip the entire clock tower segment of the game by hopping on the back of one of those stone breathing bull things and backdashing into a wall. It teleports you to the arena , but good luck beating Balore at such a low level.

There was an Allied mission in the original Red Alert where you had a limited time to complete a mission. The game was saved after entering the second point. Unfortunately, there were only three seconds left after entering the second part, and restarting the mission just restarted it right there. It being my only save point, I effectively lost my progress. Unfortunately, that turned me off from ever finishing the campaign.

Dead Rising 1 felt the need to delete my save file (the only save file you can have for the game) multiple times at the clown boss fight or right after it. I gave up on that piece of shit.

THIS.

...three fucking times.

I really wanted to like Dead Rising, I really did. It sounded like such an awesome premise. Too bad it's fucked from the beginning. Moving with all the finesse of a forklift, braindead survivors who get hung up on environmental objects, and that god-damned save-corrupting glitch.

and that infernal cutscene I had to watch after my save got devoured. Third time it happened I took it out of my xbox, drove to gamecrazy, and traded in for patapon. That was a much better decision.

Comedy option: playing the x-men genesis game on an emulator. You'll get up to the end and unless you have the option for a "soft" reset, you're fucked now buddy!

My buddy played like 80 hours of oblivion or something, and while I was watching him play his game auto saved momentarily before dying. He tried one more time from that save file and it auto saved again this time fractions of a second before dying. He was furious, I had to exert extreme self control to not laugh like a maniac the dozens of times he tried to not die after that. He never played the game again.

Don't think games should save while you're in combat. That's just silly.

THIS.

...three fucking times.

I really wanted to like Dead Rising, I really did. It sounded like such an awesome premise. Too bad it's fucked from the beginning. Moving with all the finesse of a forklift, braindead survivors who get hung up on environmental objects, and that god-damned save-corrupting glitch.

Never had that problem, though I got a glitch once where the clown would block attacks with his chainsaws ALL THE TIME, whether it was bullets or otherwise. Could not beat him as a result.

There was an Allied mission in the original Red Alert where you had a limited time to complete a mission. The game was saved after entering the second point. Unfortunately, there were only three seconds left after entering the second part, and restarting the mission just restarted it right there. It being my only save point, I effectively lost my progress. Unfortunately, that turned me off from ever finishing the campaign.

sound worse than the PSX no save gameplay. but i know i tend to use 2 manual save whenenver possible to avoid that too.

More to the point, I think games shouldn't auto-save over a single file, but instead leave several key checkpoints around. Failing that, properly reset the level/whatever upon death.

Look like shitty save system (or unique save slot) is the new way to extend your game average life span. why are you making save checkpoint on a fps? why only one save available on RPG/adventure game?

Don't know if it's been said but.

I remember there was one in Sphinx and The Cursed Mummy (such a good game) towards the end. You're playing as the Mummy and there's a cutscene followed by a door and a save point. If you don't continue on immediately after, like if you shut the game off and then return, you're fucked. The door becomes permanently sealed shut and there is literally no way to fix it.......you have to start over.