OCR02254 - Kirby Super Star "Ska Buffet (All You Can Eat: Clean Version)"

djpretzel

Yay, it's good to see this get posted!! Nice work to everybody, I can tell a lot of hard work went into this. Amazing that a collab across the internet with so many people can have that live-band jamming feel. I definitely love the arrangement, the lyrics, and the energy of this.

A couple of minor criticisms: I would have had difficulty knowing what the lyrics were without reading them, so either the ennunciation or production on the vocals could have been better to make them clearer. I think it is especially important in a song like this, where the words are so critical to the meaning of the song (and so amusing and clever that they deserve to be showcased prominently). The other criticism is that the timing was loose, but I don't know how much that is even a bad thing, I think it fits the feel of the live music vibe.

Other than that, yes, it was brilliant .)

A couple of minor criticisms: I would have had difficulty knowing what the lyrics were without reading them, so either the ennunciation or production on the vocals could have been better to make them clearer. I think it is especially important in a song like this, where the words are so critical to the meaning of the song (and so amusing and clever that they deserve to be showcased prominently).

Thanks for your input. I'm aware I have an accent haha, other than that, the vox on the chorus are doubled, so I guess that plus my accent makes it a bit hard to understand. Still, I can try and do something about it for the project version.

Thanks for your input. I'm aware I have an accent haha, other than that, the vox on the chorus are doubled, so I guess that plus my accent makes it a bit hard to understand. Still, I can try and do something about it for the project version.

Nono actually I really love the accent, I think it adds to the charm of the vocals .) And I just realized that I didn't really mention it in my original comment so I'll say it here, that I think the vocal delivery was awesome and you were def. the right singer for this. I don't have enough of a producer ear to say for sure, but it's possible that the vocals in some parts could have been taken up or EQed to bring out the frequencies of the consonant sounds (or other stuff EQed out of the way of those frequencies so they don't get drowned). Singing-wise, I would say that over-emphasizing the clarity of the consonant sounds will help in making sure the words can be understood. I'm sorry this turned into such a technical analysis of the vocals when really I only had a minor criticism ^_^; Honestly I do think overall they were awesome. But since you mentioned you might work on it again, I figured I'd share my 2 cents in case it helps.

Nono actually I really love the accent, I think it adds to the charm of the vocals .) And I just realized that I didn't really mention it in my original comment so I'll say it here, that I think the vocal delivery was awesome and you were def. the right singer for this. I don't have enough of a producer ear to say for sure, but it's possible that the vocals in some parts could have been taken up or EQed to bring out the frequencies of the consonant sounds (or other stuff EQed out of the way of those frequencies so they don't get drowned). Singing-wise, I would say that over-emphasizing the clarity of the consonant sounds will help in making sure the words can be understood. I'm sorry this turned into such a technical analysis of the vocals when really I only had a minor criticism ^_^; Honestly I do think overall they were awesome. But since you mentioned you might work on it again, I figured I'd share my 2 cents in case it helps.

Agreed. I do feel that the fast "rapping" vocal parts are sort of drowned out by the instrumentation as I mentioned in my previous post. I don't think the so-called accent is a huge problem since you're belting out some of your vocals.

Woot! I've been waiting for this one for a long time. Simply one of the best ReMixes I've heard this year. Seriously, LuIzA has the best punk/ska voice and those lyrics are brilliant! Oh, damn, the SFX covering up the curse words for this version was a great touch. Really, this is one of the catchiest damn songs I've ever heard on OCR. Great job all members of the Plaid Muffins! Can't wait for the uncensored version.

Super fun track, with a great live feel, and good vocals with a fitting style.

I agree that the vocals get buried, and I can't really hear the lyrics except in a couple of places if I'm not listening hard. It sounds like a production issue to me too, especially the horns drown them out, but the vocals sound muffled when there's just drums+bass+guitars accompanying. The accent is not an issue.

Very nice touch using the game sfxs for beepign out cussing. :nicework:

--Eino

• 2 weeks later...

the first thought that came into my mind as it finished was just how full of win this song is. the next thought was the realization that you've put lyrics to not only an instrumental, but a video game song. this in itself is impressive to me, so props for that. very well done and enjoyable to listen to. keep this up

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Love the instrumentals, but wasn't really digging the vocals ...until this morning. It's finally grown on me, and now I wouldn't want it any other way. Figures, it would be LuIzA. The style and lyrics, all very frenetic and capture the kinda madhouse aspect of all the Kirby stuff. This song seems like it would be a blast to see live.

• 2 weeks later...

DAT VOICE

Ska with female vocals is right up my alley, and Luiza delivers a wonderful performance; she has the perfect voice for this. The way the first syllables are emphasized in the first few lines ("I" am eating food...) sends shivers down my spine.

I do agree that some of the vocals drown in the instruments; everything starting from "I'll clear out all the buffets..." to the end of that part is kinda hard to hear because the instruments overpower the vocals.

Also, "I don't care if I'm too big to transport, roll me to the foods" for best line ever.

As for the music itself, this is how ska is supposed to be IMO: a nice blend of punk of brass. I've heard some so-called ska where you had a trumpet solo somewhere in the song while the rest was straight-up punk, and it bored me to death. The mix of guitars, drums and brass we have here is what makes good ska for me.

Amazing stuff. Hoping there is more where this came from.

• 1 month later...

I have been lurking around this sight since 2000 or so. and am a big fan of a lot of the work on this site. but I had to Finally break down and register here to praise this work.

This was amazing work. Hope you guys work together on more Ska covers in the future. I love the song :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR02254 - Kirby Super Star "Ska Buffet (All You Can Eat: Clean Version)"