Mainstream music stealing game beats

Wacky

Ignore the vocals (although I do think DEV has a nice sense of rhythm.)

How much does it sound like it comes from a late 80s 8 bit platformer?

The next!

Again, ignore the vocals (dear God, IGNORE THE VOCALS) but again... the vibe is "80s 8 bit."

Seriously. This shit sounds like Pong. Or Space Invaders.

How is it that video game music is "shit and for kids" when mainstream music gets critical acclaim for USING THE EXACT SAME MONOTONY?

Because there's vocals. If it has vocals, it's actual music, not pretentious classical stuff or nerdy subculture stuff. It's _totally_ not repetitive if there's different verses. Never mind that the neither the vocals or their backing need to be very musical to sell.

How it sells enough to cover the money for the vids is beyond me.

Wow, consumerism has that much power over people. If lyricism is the only non-repetitive part of your music, then it's boring. If the lyrics are repeitive as well, then your shit sucks!

"But dawg, they makin' money and that chick/dude is fine!" OK, if she's hot, then she should model; they're making money because you're dumb enough to support them!

"Ur just hating" No, I can't wear a naked emperor's clothing style.

"That's better than that game stuff you listen to" But they sure love to steal game music and call it 'real' when they do it!

Don't forget when

from
. Not technically VGM but close enough to count.

Long story short: one's got gobs of money, and the other doesn't, and money (and recognition) in just about every art form determines legitimacy. Which is why you never hear about

Whoa! Slick Rick sampled that! That's pretty crazy, never would have even noticed that without that link.

I really appreciate when someone has the talent to do that...even though it might be unfair to the original creator.

But as far as the topic goes; I'm not sure why people dislike game beats, even though pop music recently is electronic. I think people claim to dislike electronic music, you know, "techno". However, add some lyrics and a popular musician to it, people love it.

Then again, dubstep is popular, so there goes my theory.

hmmm your ideas are intriguing and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter...

I'm not really hearing it in the pussycat dolls video but the other two have some blips to them for sure.

I've always wondered why people ask me "You went to school for music and you like Videogame Music?!" with a cockeyed look. Even with greats like Jeremy Soule out there people have no respect.

How is it that video game music is "shit and for kids" when mainstream music gets critical acclaim for USING THE EXACT SAME MONOTONY?

Because the majority of people are brainless idiots who will eat whatever the mainstream media spoonfeeds them and love it, and base their music/clothing/lifestyle tastes on the general social perception of the thing in question rather than the actual content?

That has to be the single most hipster thing I have ever typed. I feel I should now be wearing shutter-shades and frequently using the word 'sheeple'.

"Ur just hating"

:banghead: This is the most enraging phrase in existence. It has the power to completely trivialize a perfectly valid (and most likely completely correct if that's the only rebuttal) negative opinion.

I've been told that Nicki Minaj's superbass stole from the song "Poolside" from Tekken 5, but I've never done a comparison.

Because that would require me listening to Nicki Minaj.

I think there are some strong similarities(they do have some footage of a poolside) but proving someone actually stole what amounts to a jingle's worth of music is impossible to prove. This could become a question of when does an homage cross into plagiarism if the actual producer of the tune (not nicki of course) admits to being a huge tekken fan...

The only thing scarier than someone ripping off your music and making money would be to avoid writing a piece because someone may at some point be able to trace a few notes to another existing piece. So you could not write music and live normally or write music and get sued for it. The death of music, and they said it would never happen :)

Well compare most music with this:

Now I understand there are times you want to hear "Booty bounce" and rejoice in the electronica (mostly sex related) but listen to that in comparison and say that one is not worthy of respect and the other is.

They're both great pieces of music and should be accepted on their merits. But since one is in a video game it's shit.

DOOD KIRBY TOTES STOLED FROM KIRBYZ. GUISE KIRBYY SO PLAGURIZES!

There was a thread similar to this a while back about video game samples in modern music. Personally, I think its crazy that VGM gets shut out just because its VGM. Whenever someone tries to tell me that VGM sucks I show them this guy:

This won a Grammy. Even the "sheeple" have to admit that means something.

Depends on what they're rapping about. Music and lyrics are tools that can build or destroy. I can use a hammer to build you a house or bludgeon your head in. Beauty is subjective, though. [/offtopic]

Krayzie Bone ripped off the music from Mortal Kombat 3's continue screen for his 1999 album. I'll have to dig out the track name when at home...

I think everyone in this thread has either been responding to the title of thread or responding without actually listening to the songs in question

all three of which are absolutely horrible examples of the point being brought up

I hear little to no 8-bit influence. what you appear to be pissed about is simple analog synth sounds. but even then, most of the sounds are just layered saws or other standard trance/electronic sounds that have bled into pop and hiphop in the last 10 years... not 8bit

the reason people think 8bit music is "uncool"-- and for the record, I share your outrage about knee-jerk dismissal of chiptunes-- is that 8bit sounds like this: http://soundcloud.com/heathmorris/heath-morris-secret-menu-memories-gameboy-camera-remix

and it reminds people of old video games. games they don't play anymore and have probably somewhat blocked the memory of due to polarizing it against something "cooler" like sports or being a really broken person

bottom line is I agree with you. it sucks that TOTALLY CLICHE synth textures and HYPER-SIMPLE melodies with TOTALLY CLICHE drum samples and COMPLETELY BARE soundscapes top the charts, while dedicated songwriters/producers have to slowly build an audience. thanks to the internet, I prefer the latter

anyway, I'm just gonna leave completely off-topic item here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szlk9eMWkpU

anyway, I'm just gonna leave completely off-topic item here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szlk9eMWkpU

Haha, I almost thought that was going to be unrelated. Also, this:

And for a different artist: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKqVONrfffM

I think it's cool, but I wish more people would openly enjoy the original sources too. Especially in the case of Schala's Theme...it's beautiful.

Oh, and for the reverse,

samples
(which is based on a Malcolm X speech if I recall)